Thai For Beginners

devildog683

I have a copy of it. It is the best I have found so far. I also bought "Thai for Intermediate and Thai for advanced readers " I am still on the beginners book.

The cd's are great , I listen to them in my car everyday driving to and from work.

When I come home I always say something that I learned in thai to my wife.

She just shakes her head because my tonal pronounciation suck. She says

speak engrish, I no understand your thai, sirry falang. :o

enjoy the book.

PKG

DD, I started with that book/CD also. Teaches you all 4 skills: reading, writing, speaking, listening.

I've now almost finished the Intermediate series and am really please with the results. I too play the CDs in my car, gets repetitive but I find it sinks in easier that way. As long you're motivated and do a little each day, you should be able to make yourself understood. The drawback I have, is that I'm not in Thailand, hence not speaking Thai every day.

Good luck :o

The becker books are good,I am on the Advanced book and am getting on ok.However it is a big step up from the intermediate

The Becker books are good but I seemed to get on better with the latest series from AUA. That and having the TV on a Thai channel all the time.

The CD versions are readily available in any Asia Books store. They look like big books as the CDs are on one side of the case and the book is enclosed in the other.

Boon - how much did you pay for the AUA books/CDs? Do you have to go to AUA to get hold of them?

i listened to the cd's for a few hours and already learned a few new words and remembered some i have forgotten, surprised the hel l out of the wife :o

I looked through every bok I can find, and the transliteration system in Thai for Beginners is awesome.

I have also been learning how to read and write, which is coming along much faster than I though it would. Once my hand memorizes how to write a letter quickly, I just listen to music and copy it again and again tilll my hand cramps up. I got the basics down in 2 weeks. (still working on figuring out how to read the more complicated stuff, though, and the no spaces between the words is throws me off a lot)

But I rcommend the Thai for beginners to my friends. I'm a fan....

• 3 weeks later...

I just bought the beginner and intermediate books from Asia Books (3rd floor Emporium). Price was 799 baht each (1 book and 2 CDs in each pack).

Started the course and it looks promising. It does get stuck into learning to read and write though and judging from the intermediate book you cannot choose to skip this. Time to knuckle down and get on with it.

For your information, I prefer this course to the linguaphone course which I also own. The linguaphone course has too many places where you need to stop the tape and rewind (again and again) and it also has 2 books which you have to jump between which I found irritating.

I've copied the Becker course CDs onto my ipod for easy access which works well with the single book.