200cc Enduro Machine For Little Money

Richard-BKK

The largest Chinese motorcycle manufacturer has opened its office in Thailand. One of it products is the Lifan LF200GY-5, it costs only 55,000 Baht. And it is amazingly much fun machine to play with.

Lifan-LF200GY-5_The-Budget-Enduro-Bike_1.jpg

Lifan has sales offices all over the world, but as this forum is in English you best can look at the Lifan American website

((photo/quote removed - there is no need for them - lopburi3))

Richard, do you own one? If so tell me about it. It's not a cheap Platinum build is it? Reliable? Strong? Good and bad points etc.

Thanks

Dan

((email removed - lopburi3))

Lifan is one of the largest motorcycle manufacturers in China. This means directly that they in the top 10 of the biggest motorcycle manufacturers in the world. Lifan also makes city buses, regular cars and trucks, but that is a completely different story.

We tested the Lifan LF200GY-5 together with a Kawasaki KLX250, to no surprise the Kawasaki won without even blinking an eye, but then the Kawasaki costs 3 times more and the Lifan is a 200cc engine. Even the Lifan engine is not the most powerful 200cc I have seen, still it is solid it has a good power in the lower rpm and was able to pull two farangs (about 180kg) up to Hua-Hin Black Mountain viewpoint without any sweat... Some scooters we met had problems doing the same with two Thai, of course the Kawasaki KLX250 could do it even better and faster...but then that was no surprise...

The only down point we could find was the tires, which to my feeling where a bit to much off-road and to less on road tires. But Lifan told us the tires choice was maybe going to change.

For the quality of the Lifan I cannot judge them as we had the bike only for one day, but if I read the postings on the several American forums about Lifan there is not much problems with the bike. Most topics on the American forums is about people who where trying to buy even cheaper then cheap and bought Lifan copies and have problems registering the bike....

O, and no we do not own a Lifan LF200GY-5, we had one for a day to test it a bit...

Edited by Richard-BKK

I spent some time reading about chinese brands with an eye to flying to china and doing a ride around (forum mychinamoto IIRC) and lifan got high marks for a Chinese manufacturer.

I dont doubt its no honda but it also shouldnt be platinum either, its 55k for a new 200 !!

Does lifan have anything 'exciting' in its intended lineup ?? something with some poke ??

Just looking at lifan US site.. If the 2099 bike costs 55k then the LF110GY would be 30 - 35k.

A legal plated monkey bike / Dax clone.. My missus would love one of them. Been looking for a properly plated legal dax here but silly money.

Will watch this with interest.. I know they are just Chinese clones.. But its an interesting development.

They have a Lifan LF110 cub model, it is probably cheaper then 29,000 Baht and has 2 years warranty. So if I calculate, and write off 40 Baht a day on the bike I can ride 2 years with full warranty a motorcycle. (40 Baht per day for 2 years is 29,200 Baht) Okay I forget a few Baht per day for fuel... Anyway I'm not sure you can do it cheaper then this...

post-12170-1258695347_thumb.jpg

I bit nicer looking than the Platinum, but still very similar. Likely the same poor quality tho. Same price as the PX175 too. I still enjoy mine since I have replaced the entire charging and electrical system. Before that it would break down every time I used it. Even having said that, I might consider a Lifan at 55k baht if it's jsut a little better than the Platinum. If only they had a dealer in Phuket.

IMG_0337.jpg

Edited by Scubabuddha

American website says it does 75mph/120kph with ease. My PX175 can do only 90kph, maybe 100kph/62mph down hill with a lot of complaining, but it only has 4 gears. The Lihan has 5. Hmm.. The Lihan claims 16hp where by comparison the Kawasaki KLX250S comes stock with 17-19hp!. I'm getting more interested.

Here is a review:

2007 Lifan LF200GY-5 Review

A buddy of mine got this bike, he is not interested in posting here but I think a few members here might be interested in this bike so I am posting what I think of it

He got it from http://www.motoxtreme.net/994.html for $1399 shipped to his door. Took about a week to get it once the payment was sent. When you order one of these bikes make sure the company you order from sends them out of Texas and not California. The Cali bikes are direct imported from China and are not always the same or as well built as the American Lifan ones out of TX. They also don't always have the DOT certification so might not be able to get plates in some states. The real American Lifan bikes are all DOT/EPA approved and are street legal.

The bike came well packed in a metal framed crate and took about 2 hours of playing around with it to get the wheels and handlebars on. We also took all the bolts holding the plastic body panels and heat shields off and put loctite on them. The bike fired up and ran the first try. We let it idle for 15 minutes to heat cycle it once then changed the oil. Once the bike was cooled and the oil changed we took it out and rode it slowly for about 5 miles to get it seated in. The bike had no problems running and was nice and smooth sounding.

Over the next 100 miles he was pretty easy on riding it and was also learning how to ride a motorcycle since it was his first one. He now has it near 500 miles and the bike is running pretty smoothly. The mileage is not as good as what they say on the specs but it is still way up there. 107mpg is what it is rated for but he is getting around 85-95mpg out of it doing nothing except holding it wide open all the time. It is a 200cc bike and can do maybe 70mph top speed so for highway use it really sucks but for city use it is great. If you don't plan on going over 55mph in it then you won't have much trouble with it's power and would probably get closer to the factory mileage estimate. The bike is really light weight and can maneuver around easily. Anyone really trying to get good mileage out of it should have no problems beating the factory estimated mileage with nothing more than going 1 tooth bigger on the front sprocket and easy driving.

The bike seems pretty solid and I probably would guess it should be able to go 25k miles without any trouble. For the price of $1400 for a new bike though there is really nothing bad I can say about the bike. To get a comparably sized Japanese brand you will have to spend more than double and the bikes really don't ride any better and don't seem to be built any better. I also don't think any of the other small cc dualsport bikes have a much longer life since they are all kind of underpowered. Overall anyone wanting a learner bike or a low speed use bike it would be hard to beat this bike. At least he is not worried as much about someone stealing it as I would be with mine left out overnight.

jeffersonbike.jpg

Colors: Blue/Red/Orange

Engine Type: Air Cooled, Single-Cylinder, 4-Stroke

Displacement: 197CC

Starting System: Electric & Kick

Brakes (FRONT): Disc/Hand Control

Brakes (REAR): Drum/Pedal Control

Transmission: 5 Speed, Manual Clutch

Ignition System: CDI

Max. Power: 16HP/8000RPM

Max. Torque: 14.5N.m/6500RPM

Max Speed: 75MPH

Max Loading Capacity: 330LBS

Wheel Base: 54.3"

Dry Weight: 264 LBS

Gas Yield: 0.93 GAL/100Mile

Suspension (FRONT): Hydraulic

Suspension (REAR): Hydraulic Spring

Tire Size: FRONT 2.75 - 21

REAR 4.10 - 18

Here is a forum where a few people seem to be having the same issues as with the Platinums:

http://www.visordown.com/forum/forummessag...375001&cp=1

And apparently you can buy them from amazon.com. Hmmm...Didn't know they sold motorcycles.

http://www.amazon.com/200CC-Lifan-LF200GY-...e/dp/B000Z9NMV0

post-70760-1258698557_thumb.jpg

post-70760-1258698569_thumb.jpg

post-70760-1258698580_thumb.jpg

post-70760-1258698591_thumb.jpg

post-70760-1258698606_thumb.jpg

post-70760-1258699295_thumb.jpg

post-70760-1258699812_thumb.jpg

post-70760-1258699829_thumb.jpg

post-70760-1258699849_thumb.jpg

post-70760-1258699864_thumb.jpg

post-70760-1258699889_thumb.jpg

post-70760-1258699897_thumb.jpg

post-70760-1258699927_thumb.jpg

It is very difficult to separate the copies from the originals, even in the pictures you posted are some copies. Copies is Lifan's biggest concern, but in Thailand, people no need to worry about this as importing a motorcycle is much more difficult and regulated then in other places in the world.

It is funny that some of the Lifan copy manufacturers also seem to be making Sachs Madass 125 motorcycles, they very likely also not genuine...

It is very difficult to separate the copies from the originals, even in the pictures you posted are some copies. Copies is Lifan's biggest concern, but in Thailand, people no need to worry about this as importing a motorcycle is much more difficult and regulated then in other places in the world.

It is funny that some of the Lifan copy manufacturers also seem to be making Sachs Madass 125 motorcycles, they very likely also not genuine...

Interesting. I wonder if the gold colored upside down suspension are from the copy then. Those pics seem to be from the USA. Wouldn't it be funny if they were making copies that were better than the originals in the US?

lol

Lihan website: http://www.lifanth.com/en/products-a-services.html

No dealer locator. Seems they have just the one location in BKK? Richard can you verify?

Edited by Scubabuddha

The USD fork actually says little on being a copy or not, I only recognized the GRX-200 marking on one of the pictures, which is actually a Galata GRX-200 which some seller change to being a Lifan LF200GY-5.

The Lifan LF200GY-5 model we tested was with-out the USB forks, but they had that model also as showroom model. Also I can announce that for not so much more, Lifan is likely also going to introduce the Lifan LF250GY-7 (250cc water-cooling) and more power...

post-12170-1258714314_thumb.jpg

Edited by Richard-BKK

The USD fork actually says little on being a copy or not, I only recognized the GRX-200 marking on one of the pictures, which is actually a Galata GRX-200 which some seller change to being a Lifan LF200GY-5.

The Lifan LF200GY-5 model we tested was with-out the USB forks, but they had that model also as showroom model. Also I can announce that for not so much more, Lifan is likely also going to introduce the Lifan LF250GY-7 (250cc water-cooling) and more power...

Hmmm...what's the price on the 250 likely to be I wonder?

So the USB forks is an option then? I found one source from fun-bikes.com out of Washinton state, USA stating the inverted shocks are "new this year"

This is a modern design, adult size enduro (motocross style with lights). With 21 inch wheels, electric start, and a powerful 200cc 4 stroke engine, this a bike for larger, experienced teens and adults. Bike comes with horn, headlight, blinkers, tail light and mirrors and goes over 70 MPH and gets 104 MPG. This is our best value bike, others sell similar bikes for $3 - $4,000 (and they don't have lights or electric start). New this year: Inverted forks (better handling), front and rear ABS disc Brakes. EPA and DOT. approved.

Little bit different color scheme:

post-70760-1258715675_thumb.jpg

Edited by Scubabuddha

That it comes with a horn, I cannot confirm (but surely it is probably there). The ABS brakes I can tell you are a no no, also sounds a bit funny and enduro / trail bike with anti-blocking brake system....

The USD forks could be a new for this year and Lifan Thailand has got a mix of both... Need to ask that...

Price for the 250cc enduro bike is not set yet... also it is still not sure if they going for that. But some people is trying to convince Lifan that Thai "bikers" like a bit more power...

So I sent an email to Lifan Bkk via their contact us page on the website asking where I can buy an LF200GY-5 and got an immediate response:

Dear sir

Good to you! I am glad you like our product LF200GY-5.At present we are preparing to sell our products.Now we do not have any dealers in Phuket or some cities near Phuket.Could you mind giving us your phone number?When we can sell our products in Thailand we will call you.

Regards,

XXXXX

So I sent my phone number and they called me earlier today. Seems maybe my Thinglish wasn't very clear, they were asking me if I wanted to open a dealership in Phuket!! lol Hmmm..another business idea....must see quality first tho. I'm really hoping they are not another Captinum. (Sorry Richard, I know you don't like those two words together, but I own one and so does my mate)

So apparently Lifan is not available quite yet anywhere in Thailand. Further evidenced by the fact that Richard hasn't answered that question of mine from above. :) I expect to hear from Lifan promptly when they are available.

Edited by Scubabuddha

Well, I'm very sceptical and want some bikers to report owning such an enduro for say 2-3 years and putting 20,000 km on it.

i wopuldn't buy a Platinum for 15,000 Baht!

Strange coming from someone fighting to correct bias against Tiger motorcycles which are in a similar price range.

True, I never rode this brand. I'm just very sceptical with regards to Chinese products. Ask me why?

Chris

From day one I always said that the Tiger motorcycle was a good product, I believe I convinced a few people and now Tiger motorcycles is a an accepted motorcycle on this forum.

For Platinum motorcycle, I tried in the past to separate facts from fiction, and yes Platinum is not the best of quality. Still I know a few people who are very happy with a Platinum motorcycle.

To talk about Lifan, which has factories in several countries including Thailand, and sales its products in more then 160 countries, and in most of this 160 countries the distributor is also a Lifan daughter company. About a small issue of two models in one showroom I'm sure we cannot judge a motorcycle manufacturer, for example how many Kawasaki dealers try to sell 2009 models for the same price as the new 2010 model...

Lifan opened it's sales office on 28 October this year, and I believe I mentioned that they are still setting up a dealer network and dealer promotion campaign. Again, if it was not for my posting, people here would not even know Lifan was preparing to sell motorcycles in Thailand.

Most Chinese motorcycle products sold in Thailand are by small companies, Platinum is one of this small companies, it is basically a Thai company which buys Chinese motorcycles from independent Chinese motorcycle manufacturers. Most of this smaller Chinese companies copy products from the bigger companies, so can you find hundreds of Chinese companies which make the Sachs Madass 125.

Lifan hold more then 4,000 patents in the motorcycle industry, and is a serious company. How many of you ever get a same day email response, or better get any response from a motorcycle manufacturer? Okay, Tiger riders do not need to answer we know Tiger is also on the front row of working hard for its customers...

For me it is completely not that strange that I bring Lifan to the attention of the people of this forum. Even I like Tiger Motorcycles, they do not produce a enduro like machine (Lifan LF200GY-5), also they do not manufacture a 250cc V-Twin cylinder cruiser motorcycle (Lifan LF250-:).

The Tiger Boxer 200 R costs 63,000 Baht, and the Lifan LF200GY-5 costs 55,000 Baht. And on the level of cub models Tiger sales most underbone motorcycles above the 30,000 Baht. With exception to the Tiger Retro, which attracts a niche market who is likely not interested in a modern looking 110cc underbone motorcycle from any other brand with the same price.

Edited by Richard-BKK

Sometimes the Chinese samples are quite different to the stock that follows! :)

Yeah thats what I was thinking...maybe I can buy that show room sample they have with the USB shocks! :D

Replying to myself here because I want to add that I have been involved with manufacturing in the states, and samples were ALWAYS a little better than what turned up in stock. That's not a Chinese thing by any means.

Well, I'm very sceptical and want some bikers to report owning such an enduro for say 2-3 years and putting 20,000 km on it.

Yes, it will be interesting to see how things pan out. The bike is cheap, hopefully it will prove reliable and in a few years they'll be making a nice 250 that is a bit lighter also.

Something simple and reliable like the XR250 would sell very well if priced at 70 -80k

• 7 months later...
  • 1 month later...

How about the green book and is this part of the 55K price?

if its past the homoleg test, it gets greenbook without any inspection as long as dealer pays bike to Lifan to get reg docs and applies for greenbook/registration on behalf of buyer

Any news? Are they really available now? An earlier post indicated they would be available in July.

Edited by GarryP