Snake On My Fence

LawnGnome

From the skin markings it is a python of some species. Pythons are common in Thailand and are usually found near water. They are NOT venomous, but will give a nasty bite if cornered. They kill their prey by wrapping themselves around their victim and crushing them. Some species of python reach lengths of close to 30 feet. I believe the Reticulated python is the longest snake in the world.

From the skin markings it is a python of some species. Pythons are common in Thailand and are usually found near water. They are NOT venomous, but will give a nasty bite if cornered. They kill their prey by wrapping themselves around their victim and crushing them. Some species of python reach lengths of close to 30 feet. I believe the Reticulated python is the longest snake in the world.

To be respected. They're monsterous.

If cornered they will bite to defend themselves but just leave it alone and it won't bother you, it will help control rats etc.

Burmese Python, From the looks of it is a young one. They can be aggressive in some cases but usually they go about looking for food. To have it on your fence like that pretty much indicates it picked up the sent of rodents etc. Great to have around for rat and mice population control. More than likely it will move on and you won't ever see it again. ( More than likely)

I envy you! I wish we had interesting snakes like that in our garden. All we get are the occasional tree snake.

Constrictors actually kill their prey via a form of suffocation. They tighten their hold as the victim breaths out and thereby stop the breathing process, rather than actually crushing them to death.

It is a reticulated python. (Python Reticulatus) Nice one as well! Caught a 3,6m in Phuket a year ago or so. Eats rodents, chicken, rabbits, small dogs, cats or whatever that suits their size. When it get´s bigger (it is declared to be the longest snake in the world even if the Anaconda is regarded as the biggest snake) Have had a breeding group where they reached over 6 meters. Under "normal" circumstances, it is regarded as not dangerous for an adult under 3.5 meter. It might be dangerous to a baby when it reaches about 2 meters. They will however always flee before defending themselves. Striking is apx 1/3 of their bodylength and they are quite slow so handable for everyone. Make slow movements (as with all snakes) and you can easily move him.

A bite, should be considered as a catbite. You will bleed and should clean the wound very careful, look out for infections and if it is getting swollen, red, you get fever, etc, you have to go to the doctor for antibiotics. But that is the same with all bites.

You don´t have to be scared of that a ret will harm you or anyone.

Good luck and enjoy your new friend! :-)

Looks like the same I had a couple of day's ago at the back of our house and about the same size and markings , that had come out of the Klong off the chaophraya , it had our maids panicking and they chased it back into the water and it swam away . they told me it was a burmese python which swims very well and was looking for rodents

The file is actually a bit too big, but it looks like a constrictor to me.

that is a boa, not sure which variety though.

he lives in south america?

"The Boidae are a family of non-venomous snakes found in America, Africa, Europe, Asia and some Pacific Islands. Relatively primitive snakes, adults are medium to large in size, with females usually larger than the males. Two subfamilies comprising eight genera and 43 species are currently recognized." -- Wikipedia.

WOW!! Great pic....my last place I lived in (Northern California) had a problem with rattlesnakes...so I kind of had to learn how to identify snakes, the harmless gopher snake resembles the western diamond back rattler....I try to respect these guys, but I admit I am not much of a fan of them!!

Those markings are of a Reticulated Python not a Burmese Python. The orange/yellow is a giveaway.

WOW!! Great pic....my last place I lived in (Northern California) had a problem with rattlesnakes...so I kind of had to learn how to identify snakes, the harmless gopher snake resembles the western diamond back rattler....I try to respect these guys, but I admit I am not much of a fan of them!!

Those markings are of a Reticulated Python not a Burmese Python. The orange/yellow is a giveaway.

The orange/yellow I think is the top of the wall :)

Have another look :D

Yours truly,

Kan Win :D

The file is actually a bit too big, but it looks like a constrictor to me.

that is a boa, not sure which variety though.

he lives in south america?

"The Boidae are a family of non-venomous snakes found in America, Africa, Europe, Asia and some Pacific Islands. Relatively primitive snakes, adults are medium to large in size, with females usually larger than the males. Two subfamilies comprising eight genera and 43 species are currently recognized." -- Wikipedia.

boa is a subspecies of boidae. "Pythons are sometimes classified as a subfamily of Boidae" (quoted from your source). Are pythons boas?

the taxonomy section continues: "In the same way, the Old World sand boas, the Erycinae, are also frequently listed under their own family, the Erycidae". it is the Erycidae that can be found in some parts of south western and central asia.

i think you are being somewhat selective in your quoting of wikipedia to make a point. I also don't see them mentioned as indigenous to Thailand in any of the sources i have read.

but i am no biologist, so i cannot argue further, reading something in wiki doesnt make it fact.

By the pic, it's at least 2 meters in length and could easily kill a child.

Baby yes, child no.

If you're going to quote me, you better be more specific as how old a child is that you are talking about. A 2 meter python would have no problem eating a child of any age depending on the size of the child and then even a python of even a smaller size would easily kill a larger child or even a small adult. They do not crush you, they stop you from taking breaths and a snake of this size could easily give a single adult a VERY hard time to deal with.