Walkers Crisps

pattaya_girl

I went to Food Mart Supermarket on the Road leading to Jomtien, they have an excellent selection of normal Bread (not sweet).

I was surprised to see that they had the real Walkers Salt & Vinegar Crisps like I use to buy back at home. I was even more surprised when I double checked the price of them. 45 bt for a small packet (3 inch x 3 inch)

The bag will contain no more than about 6 Crisps. I filled my Basket but quickly emptied it when I double checked with the assistant if the price was for one pack, i thought maybe the price was for a family pack.

Has anyone else seen Walkers Crisps for sale anywhere ? They are nice, but I am not prepared to pay 45 bt for a tiny bag.

Thats cheap PG, I have seen them going for 60+ in Villa. They are top crisp though. Bit of advice check the sell by date if you can see it, the sneaky fe@kers normally put the import sticker over it.

Hate soggy crisps :)

Heard also that a Manchester favorite "Vimto" is available in friendship.....can anybody confirm. Syd where are ya?

Thats cheap PG, I have seen them going for 60+ in Villa. They are top crisp though. Bit of advice check the sell by date if you can see it, the sneaky fe@kers normally put the import sticker over it.

Hate soggy crisps :)

Heard also that a Manchester favorite "Vimto" is available in friendship.....can anybody confirm. Syd where are ya?

Really ?? Vimto in friendship... that is good news, I will go for some soon, use to love hot Vimto back at home, but I think here I will have it cold.

( maybe hot tonight though as its gone cold, had to get the wooly blanket out in the night)

Thanks for the info.

I have not seen Vimto in Friendship, but there again I haven't been looking.....I am going there in the next hour so I will report back.

I get 'Kettle' crisps which are definitely as good as Walkers Salt & Vinegar (from Friendship) cost 42 Baht for a big 58 gram pack. This compares well with the 99p UK price.

:)

I have not seen Vimto in Friendship, but there again I haven't been looking.....I am going there in the next hour so I will report back.

I get 'Kettle' crisps which are definitely as good as Walkers Salt & Vinegar (from Friendship) cost 42 Baht for a big 58 gram pack. This compares well with the 99p UK price.

Have to agree with you..re Kettle crisps...or chips as they like to call them.A very strong biting vinegar flavour and compared with the normal thinner crisps there is more crispness too.

Have to agree with you..re Kettle crisps...or chips as they like to call them.A very strong biting vinegar flavour and compared with the normal thinner crisps there is more crispness too.

I just bought up the last two packs of Kettle Salt & Vinegar crisps/chips at Friendship, but they will re-stock soon. I don't think I have tasted a better S&V chip/crisp (even better than Walkers) IMHO.

Bad news on the Vimto front. It's certainly not stocked in Friendship either the cordial or fizzy variety. The closest was Robinsons squash, which I will buy next year when the weather gets hot again.

Thanks for the report Syd, I will ask my folks to bring me some over, do they have a good variety of imported goods from the UK. I have never popped in there before.

Friendship has a good selection of imported British food produce. But most of the stuff is expensive compared to the U.K. for example Branston Pickle is priced around 4 GBP for a small jar, which is 4 times the U.K. price.

Vimto was available in plastic bottles (cordial) last time I was in the U.K. so that is the way to go, if you pack it in checked luggage.

Thanks for the report Syd, I will ask my folks to bring me some over, do they have a good variety of imported goods from the UK. I have never popped in there before.

Friendship has a good selection of imported British food produce. But most of the stuff is expensive compared to the U.K. for example Branston Pickle is priced around 4 GBP for a small jar, which is 4 times the U.K. price.

Vimto was available in plastic bottles (cordial) last time I was in the U.K. so that is the way to go, if you pack it in checked luggage.

Nice one Syd, they will be probably overweight with all the stuff I have ordered, same as last year, they had to leave loads of goodies with Dubia immigration. However I do miss my home comforts.

When I lived in the boondocks in Africa, I used to make by own crisps, as there was nothing available locally. It's easy, but you need a food processor to cut the tatties fine. The trick is to keep the crisps in iced water before you cook them, and to have the fat very hot. Just add some salt after frying and, hey presto, you have ready salted. Plus I used to take back the combined salt & vinegar 'helper' from the UK to make salt & vinegar crisps. They were much better than anything available in the supermarkets anywhere. If you've ever tried the home-made crisps at Simpsons In The Strand in London, you'll have an idea of what I mean. :)

When I lived in the boondocks in Africa, I used to make by own crisps, as there was nothing available locally. It's easy, but you need a food processor to cut the tatties fine. The trick is to keep the crisps in iced water before you cook them, and to have the fat very hot. Just add some salt after frying and, hey presto, you have ready salted. Plus I used to take back the combined salt & vinegar 'helper' from the UK to make salt & vinegar crisps. They were much better than anything available in the supermarkets anywhere. If you've ever tried the home-made crisps at Simpsons In The Strand in London, you'll have an idea of what I mean. :D

African Boondock Chips (who'd a thunk it?)- sound like an exotic treat worth sampling. I wanna try those next time you make 'em! (will look for your PM) Also, just wanted to add a food processor substitute method for getting wicked-thin, chip-worthy slices: vegetable pealer. Works very well, Pattaya style, in lieu of...

Try Crunchips Salt & Vinegar, large bag for about 40baht, IMO same/as good as Walkers

That's one reason I don't make my own crisps any more, the Crunchip brand is not half bad. My GF likes the red chilli flavour, so who am I to argue? I haven't seen their salt & vinegar offering, but I'll keep an eye out for it.

When I lived in the boondocks in Africa, I used to make by own crisps, as there was nothing available locally. It's easy, but you need a food processor to cut the tatties fine. The trick is to keep the crisps in iced water before you cook them, and to have the fat very hot. Just add some salt after frying and, hey presto, you have ready salted. Plus I used to take back the combined salt & vinegar 'helper' from the UK to make salt & vinegar crisps. They were much better than anything available in the supermarkets anywhere. If you've ever tried the home-made crisps at Simpsons In The Strand in London, you'll have an idea of what I mean. :D

I like this. I am going to have a go today, before I have a beer though.

I can understand why many expats search for certain decent Farang food which is not always easy to find such as good steaks, fish and chips etc.

But Walkers crisps? That just does not make sense. Thai snack foods are vastly superior to anything in the UK. Even Lays crisps are better. Actually I think that someone in the UK who knows the market could make a fortune importing Thai snacks to the UK and getting them into the supermarkets. Start with the Koh Kae coconut flavour coated peanuts in the cans. Fabulous and impossible to stop eating once started.

It should not be allowed to ship Walkers Crisps to Thailand. The container space should be re-allocated to Adnams Bitter or Fullers London Pride, something the Thais absolutely cannot produce better.

I just bought up the last two packs of Kettle Salt & Vinegar crisps/chips at Friendship, but they will re-stock soon.

Went to Friendship this morning and they have fully re-stocked with all flavours of 'Kettle' crips. 58 gram pack attractively priced at 42 baht (0.76 GBP) per pack.

Try Crunchips Salt & Vinegar, large bag for about 40baht, IMO same/as good as Walkers

Just reporting back to say that after I read Poolhustler's reply regarding the Crunchips Salt & Vinegar Crisps, I found them in Foodland, I bought a Large size bag, 46 bt...

They are spendid !!! I am crunching away as I type this - munch munch...

Not quite a strong as the Vinegar in the Walkers back at home, but they are the nearest I have tasted since I have lived here in 8 Years. Thankyou Poolhustler.

I have yet to try the other Crisps mentioned on this thread, but when I do, I will of course report back. :)

Edited by pattaya_girl