Water Marks ( Film ) On

Does anyone else get water marks or even a film on b/room tiles etc.

How do you get rid of it?? :D

We have tried all the regular cleaners and even neat bleach but nothing really works. If I was using neat bleach in the UK it would take the skin off my hands unless I wore rubber gloves, but here I don't wear any protection and my hands are untouched. Meaning the bleach is so diluted it's almost not worth the effort.

The windscreen on my car is just the same. When I'm driving after dark the oncoming lights from other vehicles turns my screen into a star burst.

What does anyone else use?? :o:D

I've tried many products along with a green pot scrubbing pad (a used one, new ones are too abarasive) on our house windows. It gets some of it out but not 100%. Vinegar mixed with some dishwashing soap was the most effective thing I've used so far.

Does anyone else get water marks or even a film on b/room tiles etc.

How do you get rid of it?? :D

We have tried all the regular cleaners and even neat bleach but nothing really works. If I was using neat bleach in the UK it would take the skin off my hands unless I wore rubber gloves, but here I don't wear any protection and my hands are untouched. Meaning the bleach is so diluted it's almost not worth the effort.

The windscreen on my car is just the same. When I'm driving after dark the oncoming lights from other vehicles turns my screen into a star burst.

What does anyone else use??    :o  :D

Car screens.....any clear ammonia based cleaner....Windex is fine.

Showers....Exit Mould if it is only light stuff...if it is built up.....Bleach, a scourer and a lot of elbow grease

Vinegar, soap and sand (mixed) - try it!

I've tried many products along with a green pot scrubbing pad (a used one, new ones are too abarasive) on our house windows. It gets some of it out but not 100%. Vinegar mixed with some dishwashing soap was the most effective thing I've used so far.

In the bathroom these approaches might work, but NOT on the car windscreen,

unless you want to buy a new screen pretty soon!!

In the bathroom you will get watermarks from the "hard" water.

Tesco Pink Toilet Cleaner will remove it.

Apply a light coat of the cleaner and leave for a couple of minutes,

then rinse off. Wear gloves as it is fairly caustic.

It may work on the car, but I am not sure what effect it may have on the rubber seal round the window.

Be careful with some of these products in the washroom. A strong ammonia product I've left on for a while has eaten away all of the grout between some of the tiles. Mind you, it's easier to put in new grout than remove the mould.

If it is the same type of tree sap caused film on your car as I had in the PI suspect you will need to have it polished with an abrasive paste. Don't know what it is called but believe it is the same type of material you use to polish telescope mirrors with a very fine grit. Can attest it makes a big difference after having it done.

Vinegar, soap and sand (mixed) - try it!

In the bathroom these approaches might work, but NOT on the car windscreen,

unless you want to buy a new screen pretty soon!!

Good point about the windscreen... That stuff is most likely road-crud film, and windex should work fine with a rubber scraper. You might also want to ad windex, or some amonia, to your car window sprayer water tank..

buy a razor blade scraper, soak the window constantly with soapy water and scrape it off - yes it works on any glass, whether it be a skyscraper or window at home. Things like windex, turpentine or metho will leave a film on your screen over time - maybe thats what youve got now??

Tornado the window cleaner :o

If it is the same type of tree sap caused film on your car as I had in the PI suspect you will need to have it polished with an abrasive paste.  Don't know what it is called but believe it is the same type of material you use to polish telescope mirrors with a very fine grit.  Can attest it makes a big difference after having it done.

The stuff you talking about is called Pumice.

It is used on the windscreens of all Rolls Royces.

If it is the same type of tree sap caused film on your car as I had in the PI suspect you will need to have it polished with an abrasive paste.  Don't know what it is called but believe it is the same type of material you use to polish telescope mirrors with a very fine grit.  Can attest it makes a big difference after having it done.

And this was before Penatubo. :o Can say for sure no liquid or scraper would touch that stuff.

Re: bathroom

How about starting from the source and get rid of using bar soap? The animal fat in it sticks to glass/tiles. :o

Try using liquid soap and you will find it at least halves the cleanup work. :D

Cheers BO

Edited by BaanOz

Use anything abrasive on glass and you will scratch it....If you wash the windscreen with warm soapy water and rinse it well....use a chamois to dry it, that should do the trick, using windex on the inside after washing with a damp cloth will clean it up and also prevent fogging to a certain degree.

Ammonia is very evaporative and wont leave marks if you wash the screen first. A 25% ammonia solution is also good for cleaning gold Jewllery....Windex is a lot more diluted than that.

Re: bathroom

How about starting from the source and get rid of using bar soap? The animal fat in it sticks to glass/tiles. :o

Try using liquid soap and you will find it at least halves the cleanup work. :D

Cheers BO

We nearly always use liquid soap ( Boots own )

As for the shower, I can usually clean the perspex doors with something called Cillit - lime and rust remover, with plenty of e/grease. But this stuff doesn't seem to work on the tiles. Have tried a few propietry brands, not sure if we've tried Tesco pink, will have a look next time shopping. Don't fancy using "sand" but will certainly try more vinegar.

My car is parked under the carport when at home with no trees or sap around. The screen was replaced only 6 mths ago, so not had time to build up. When I wash the car myself, I always leather the screen off first so water doesn't have chance to dry on it, but it always looks like there's been rain on it and dried. Thanks for all the tips though, I've noticed my wife has just got a big bottle of Windex so I'll be trying that as well. :D:D

We nearly always use liquid soap ( Boots own )

As for the shower, I can usually clean the perspex doors with something called Cillit - lime and rust remover, with plenty of e/grease. But this stuff doesn't seem to work on the tiles. Have tried a few propietry brands, not sure if we've tried Tesco pink, will have a look next time shopping. Don't fancy using "sand" but will certainly try more vinegar.

Monsieur,

I've used those acid bathroom cleaners in Thailand (can't buy them like that in the supermarket in Oz).

I hated using it and probably won't again especially with kids around. The fumes are really nasty stuff. Bleach, still nasty but I don't think as bad as those acids.

In Oz there are these cleaners (for fat and grease) now made from citrus, a brand named Polo. It's marketed as being natural and it does work well, even cleans around the kitchen hood well too.

B####y he11, talk about "metro men" :o

Cheers, BaanOz

Ammonia is very evaporative and wont leave marks if you wash the screen first. A 25% ammonia solution is also good for cleaning gold Jewllery....Windex is a lot more diluted than that.

Anyone know where to buy ammonia, I can't find it anyplace......?

Just to clarify here what I'm talking about - it's not the "tide mark" or anything like that around the bath or whatever or any kind of grease mark from soap. I'm trying to explain a sort of film which is on my tiles in the shower area. It's almost as if you've sprayed them with laquer and it will not come off with the usuall means. I'm pretty sure it's lime scale. As I said before, a product called "cillit" ( lime & rust remover) plus a lot of e/grease removes this film from the perspex doors, but barely touches the tiles. I was using this stuff ( cillit - bought from Tesco ) yesterday with a non-metalic scouring pad and only after a lot of scouring did I manage to remove some of the scale.

My car windscreen, although not quite as bad, looks like it has had water drops on it and when dry have left a white mark. As these build up, oncoming traffic lights at night and the sun shining in the day make visibility difficult. I had a new screen fitted only about 6 months ago ( due to breakage ) so I know this marking as only occurred since then. We use the well water in my village which is close to Maprachan Res. Pattaya, so I would think that other people would experience the same problem. My friend who lives close by says he has this problem with his tiles, but as I saw for myself yesterday, the windscreen on his car is unaffected. It looks as though my only solution is more "cillit" and a lot of e/grease, not sure how this will work on car though. If anyone can think of a better, safer way of removing this lime scale, please let me know. BTW I also tried some of the b/room cream cleaner from the UK and it failed to clean the tiles. :o:D

Just to clarify here what I'm talking about - it's not the "tide mark" or anything like that around the bath or whatever or any kind of grease mark from soap. I'm trying to explain a sort of film which is on my tiles in the shower area. It's almost as if you've sprayed them with laquer and it will not come off with the usuall means. I'm pretty sure it's lime scale. As I said before, a product called "cillit" ( lime & rust remover) plus a lot of e/grease removes this film from the perspex doors, but barely touches the tiles. I was using this stuff ( cillit - bought from Tesco ) yesterday with a non-metalic scouring pad and only after a lot of scouring did I manage to remove some of the scale.

My car windscreen, although not quite as bad, looks like it has had water drops on it and when dry have left a white mark. As these build up, oncoming traffic lights at night and the sun shining in the day make visibility difficult. I had a new screen fitted only about 6 months ago ( due to breakage ) so I know this marking as only occurred since then. We use the well water in my village which is close to Maprachan Res. Pattaya, so I would think that other people would experience the same problem. My friend who lives close by says he has this problem with his tiles, but as I saw for myself yesterday, the windscreen on his car is unaffected. It looks as though my only solution is more "cillit" and a lot of e/grease, not sure how this will work on car though. If anyone can think of a better, safer way of removing this lime scale, please let me know. BTW I also tried some of the b/room cream cleaner from the UK and it failed to clean the tiles.   :o  :D

monsieurhappy-

I noticed the same marks on my windshield of my brand new car in Pattaya within two weeks of buying it new, and it had not even rained yet, just been washed once or twice.

The solution that I found was to use one of those liquid rain protectants that you can buy in the big stores. The one I use is Turtle Wax brand, but the cheaper ones may work just as well. If you use it regularly from new, the glass may never discolor. The damage was reversible after just a few weeks, but after months it may be permanent.

Edited by luckyfarang

I was looking at those in Tesc/L today, but wasn't sure if you had to start with a perfectly clean w/screen. I will give it a try. I did in fact get most of the marks off my w/screen using a cream that is for getting marks off plastics etc. I used a lot of cream, but even more sweat & elbow grease. I was also looking for the stuff I mentioned before ( Cillit ) but couldn't find any. Anyone know where I can get it or anything like it from?? ( Lime & rust remover ) :o:D

I was looking at those in Tesc/L today, but wasn't sure if you had to start with a perfectly clean w/screen. I will give it a try. I did in fact get most of the marks off my w/screen using a cream that is for getting marks off plastics etc. I used a lot of cream, but even more sweat & elbow grease. I was also looking for the stuff I mentioned before ( Cillit ) but couldn't find any. Anyone know where I can get it or anything like it from?? ( Lime & rust remover ) :o  :D

Try some coca cola. Really.

On 'Mythbusters', coke removed rust from chrome and left a better polish shine than a commercial rust remover. :D