Mu7...

bkkmick

It's just about tome to buy a new 7 seater.

My Mrs fancies the Fortuner but I don't, so we're looking at alternatives.

I was wondering if anyone out there has a new model MU7 and would like to share thoughts?

I'm curious about comfort, reliability, cost of service, cost of parts etc.

Thanks

Mick

• Replies 135
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

What do you mean by new model? I bought mine in October 2008 and have now done 40,000 km. Not had a single problem with it yet. Servicing at dealer every 5,000 km costs from 10 bhat (yes 10 bhat) up to a major service at 40,000 costing 4,800 bhat. Only two services have been over 2,000 bhat.

Vehicle drives well and is very comfortable in my opinion (note though that I took the third row of seats out the back to make the storage area bigger). Seats 4 people and loads of camping gear well. I have the 4 wheel drive model. Only negatives I can think of are:

- have to be careful reversing as it's a long car - but they installed a camera in the rear of 2008 onward models.

- engaging the 4x4 is electronic button (I'd much rather have a manly lever to pull!).

Last service for me was 6 baht... :)

Very happy with the MU7.

See this thread for more informations:

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/Isuzu-Mu-7-T...ner-t38418.html

Go for Isuzu! The new Super Platinum just some improvements, like gps and something else.

Cons: I agree with Artamus: poor rear visibility.

PROs: fuel economy, nice body, 3 rows of seats, front driving (Fortuner has the last row face to face and only emergency), not inflated like Toyota, cheaper, the best engine.

I have been in the lucky circumstance to be able to compare three competitors side by side last month.

MU7, Fortuner and Thairung Elegance.

All 4-wheel drive, all automatic, all loaded with goodies like camera's, music centres, the lot.

The Fortuner was 2 months old, had 10,000 km on the meter.

I think this is a driver's car, very much so.

The engine is very smooth, the gear changes were hardly discernible.

Very fast indeed.

Nice car, typical Toyota, not really a funcar to drive, but presumably very much trustworthy.

The MU7, more trucklike with it leafsprings in the back, very strong engine, very fast too.

Nearly 3 months old, 9500 km on the counter.

Gives the idea that it is much more spacier inside as the Fortuner, impressive "face".

Not so silent inside as the Toyota, the gearchange is as smooth.

Then the Thairung Elegance.

It is an Isuzu, same engine, same gearchange.

I think better looking as the MU7, but that is personal.

Gives the idea of being less spacier as the MU7, but in fact is a little bigger.

Build quality is very good, no creaks and rattles.

As silent as the Toyota.

My choice, if you need a high speed express, Toyota

If you like a car with more space as the Toyota, MU7

For me, Thairung.

Friend of mine bought the new Mitsubishi SUV.

He tells me it is fantastic indeed.

Always had Isuzu, but now says the Mitsu is the better and most modern car.

Not so very silent, but very fast and pulls like a bat out of h_ll.

Don't know if the above is of any use.

My personal transport is a 8-year old CRV, and I think I will keep it for another 2 years.

Maybe in 2 years I will have the same problem as you have.

But then again, I will try to wangle an extended trial run with Toyota, Mitsubishi, Isuzu, and the Thairung offerings.

Seating comfort is very important, not only for the driver, but also for the passenger.

So don't hesitate to try out the back seats too.

Sit in it for some time, very enlightening.

I think the quality of the offerings in Thailand is good.

Edited by hansnl

Thanks for those comments guys. That link started off in 2005 and everything seemed pro-Fortuner but by the time 2009 came around there are more and more MU7 fans.

I'll try and find a show room tomorrow and convince the wife! (she's paying the lump sum down payment so she does have a say in the matter!)

Gives the idea that it is much more spacier inside as the Fortuner, impressive "face".

It is actually a longer car than the Toyota. One of the reasons I bought mine was that I can actually sleep in the back when camping - not so in the Fortuner.

Had a look at one yesterday. I've never had a diesel engine before and was surprised by the vibrations. I was in the show room so we were just sitting there with the engine idling. I guess that's normal for a diesel engine? The car features seemed better than what you get in the Fortuner for less money (built in video, hands free phone, GPS etc.) it made the whole package quite attractive.

Plenty of room for the two kids to relax and watch a video while I'm driving (anyone know if the rear video screen is independant? i.e. can they watch a movie with headphones on while I listen to the radio. Not a big deal, but it would be nice).

All in all seemed like a good big truck. Very tempted.

Had a look at one yesterday. I've never had a diesel engine before and was surprised by the vibrations. I was in the show room so we were just sitting there with the engine idling. I guess that's normal for a diesel engine? The car features seemed better than what you get in the Fortuner for less money (built in video, hands free phone, GPS etc.) it made the whole package quite attractive.

Plenty of room for the two kids to relax and watch a video while I'm driving (anyone know if the rear video screen is independant? i.e. can they watch a movie with headphones on while I listen to the radio. Not a big deal, but it would be nice).

All in all seemed like a good big truck. Very tempted.

When looking at any of the new vehicles, also ask about any sweeteners they can include with the deal. When I visited both Toyota and Isuzu last year, the Isuzu people were far more accommodating in what they would throw in "free". Toyota were quite inflexible about including anything. From Isuzu I got the first year insurance (1st class) included as well as the roof-rack, window tinting, rain guards on the windows etc.

I've bought an Isuzu MU7 Super Platinum Primo AT. 18 inch rims and 265/70 tyres added. Before that I had two Isuzus D-Max LS. A 2003 one and a 2007 Gold Series. I've driven the MU7 for a holiday. Chiang Rai, Chiang Mai, Mae Hong Son, Mae Sariang, Mae Sot and Tak. 3,100 kilometres in nine days. Great, great car.

I have to admit that at first I was in for a Fortuner but I've decided for the MU7. My closest friend has a Fortuner so I can compare. I don't regret buying the MU7. Space, engine flexibility, fuel-economy and road-holding are great.

Good luck in making your decision.

Edited by aidenai

I have had an MU7 for 4 months and I am very happy with it.

The only issue I have had is with the GPS as I thought it was included but turns out that I have to buy a 26k baht add on kenwood unit for it to work.

The only issue I have had is with the GPS as I thought it was included but turns out that I have to buy a 26k baht add on kenwood unit for it to work.

That was the unfortunate thing with the Gold Series and Platinum. With the Super Platinum Garmin GPS is included.

The system is great and works like a charm. Because of the external antennae I have an accuracy of 3 metres. As a bit of a GPS freak I have to admit that it's not worth to buy the Kenwood KNA-G430 for that price as a separate Garmin 200-300 (7k-20k) does the same if not more. You'll have two screens though.

I have an MU 7 Activo, and its simply a great car, very comfortable I went BKK -Nongkai roundtrip in one day, not even a litle bit tired wen came back home. In the mountains its a dream to drive because its have a lot pof power. I never liked to drive at night time, this also changed since I have my MU 7, the lights are simply fantastic, not yet to mention the brakes.

I drove Fiat, Volvo, BMW, Benz and in my younger years and Citroen DS. Never had so much fun driving as in my MU7.

At a medium speed of 130 at the highway its only consumes 8.4l per 100 k. Only in traffic jams its realy high up to 35 L per 100k

We went to the motor show and had a good look around at all the 7 seaters in our price range. The MU7 won hands down. Took one for a test drive on Wednesday. Had the finance approved yesterday. We go to sign on the dotted line on Tuesday.

Hopefully I'll have a white one like in the picture above by Christmas.

We went to the motor show and had a good look around at all the 7 seaters in our price range. The MU7 won hands down. Took one for a test drive on Wednesday. Had the finance approved yesterday. We go to sign on the dotted line on Tuesday.

Hopefully I'll have a white one like in the picture above by Christmas.

Congratulations.

Here are some more images of my MU7.

IMG_4164_a.jpg

IMG_4165_a.jpg

IMG_4167.jpg

You have changed the wheels to your MU7? Did the front tyre touch sometime the inner plastic mudflap?

How do you know? Yes, it does at very curvy road conditions such as Chiang Mai-Pai/Mae Hong Son. A bit of the mudflaps can be cut away if I want. The wheels are 18 inch rims with 265/60R18 tyres.

Thanks guys. Aidenai, you went for the black window tinting? What percentage did you go for?

The windscreen has Hi-Kool 158 R45 HC. 5051 and the other windows have Hi-Kool 060 R70 HC. 4651. They are not really black.

I didn't really know about the percentages of films so I had to look it up at their website. If I translated it well the values are as below.

http://www.hikoolfilm.com/article/article/id/21

The visible light transmission of the windscreen is 57% and the other windows 23.8%. The heat rejection is 55% resp. 75% and the reflection is 13% resp. 14.1%. Both have 99% UV rejection.

Mmmm, the white MU7 is simply beautiful.

Maybe the SUV Lexus, Volvo, BMW, etc are more stylish, but confronting with some like the American Chevy, Yukon, or CRV, Fortuner, Mitsu, IMHO the Isuzu drive in front. :D

BTW, I love the old Transit :)

• 2 weeks later...

I sure wish the Isuzu website had more english on it.....would make it easier to compare between the Fortuner and the MU-7. The Pajero is nice, but not available in white, so that is out. The Ford has that ugly spare on the back so that is out. Down to Toyota and Isuzu now. Wife wants a Toyota.......just because of the name I think......

Anyone know the price of the 2 wheel drive MU-7 Super Platinum? The Fortuner Aperto is 1.3

I sure wish the Isuzu website had more english on it.....would make it easier to compare between the Fortuner and the MU-7. The Pajero is nice, but not available in white, so that is out. The Ford has that ugly spare on the back so that is out. Down to Toyota and Isuzu now. Wife wants a Toyota.......just because of the name I think......

Anyone know the price of the 2 wheel drive MU-7 Super Platinum? The Fortuner Aperto is 1.3

I d go for a Fortuner. Rear coilsprings, larger brakes, cruisecontrol. Shorter body easy to park.

MU7 2 wheel drive about 1.2 million (lots more extras than the Fortuner at that price).

I pick mine up from the showroom tomorrow afternoon :)

Been there since yesterday, but last week the Mrs. polished the crystal ball and tomorrow afternoon between 4 and 5 was determined to be the most fortuitous time to collect the cars.

Been there since yesterday, but last week the Mrs. polished the crystal ball and tomorrow afternoon between 4 and 5 was determined to be the most fortuitous time to collect the cars.

:)

Been there, done that :D But you know that is not the end of it......it will have to go to the temple for the blessing and the talcum powder / gold leaf on the head liner, bonnet, etc.....

Went to see the MU-7 today......it is a big car for sure......maybe too big for my needs and the skills of the wee woman :D

It has a lot of nice features and it is at least 100 grand cheaper than the Toyota, or more if you add the camera and such. No power seat though...that was a surprise. Also was quoted 60,000 baht to upgrade the wheels/ tires to 18 or 20 inch......Toyota offers that for about 10,000.

Will continue to ponder this.....cheers

:)

Been there, done that :D But you know that is not the end of it......it will have to go to the temple for the blessing and the talcum powder / gold leaf on the head liner, bonnet, etc.....

Went to see the MU-7 today......it is a big car for sure......maybe too big for my needs and the skills of the wee woman :D

It has a lot of nice features and it is at least 100 grand cheaper than the Toyota, or more if you add the camera and such. No power seat though...that was a surprise. Also was quoted 60,000 baht to upgrade the wheels/ tires to 18 or 20 inch......Toyota offers that for about 10,000.

Will continue to ponder this.....cheers

Toyota comes with rather expensive 17" wheels as standard, while Izu comes with 15" or 16" with cheap tyres.

Hence the inexpencive upgrade for Toyota, since the original wheels have a value.