Mu7...

bkkmick

Walk into any tire/wheel shop, tell them you want to look at 18" wheels for an MU-7 and they will show you what you need. They know what the bolt pattern is, what offset/width will work. Now if you want to deviate from the stock offset and/or width, then you are on your own and may run into wheel rubbing problems.

• Replies 135
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Walk into any tire/wheel shop, tell them you want to look at 18" wheels for an MU-7 and they will show you what you need. They know what the bolt pattern is, what offset/width will work. Now if you want to deviate from the stock offset and/or width, then you are on your own and may run into wheel rubbing problems.
I will probably have to resort to that but I had wanted to be armed with the info before hand so I can do some online browsing and possibly decide on which wheel to buy from the comfort of my abode - and also in case I come across a nice deal on an ideal 'barely used' set of 5 wheels. :)
I've no idea what these numbers mean. I've ordered at the Isuzu dealer 18 inch rims and tyres. They showed me the images of the rims and the deal was done.

In the event I come across a nice 2nd hand set of 5 wheels, it would help any negotiations to know on the spot whether the wheels would fit a MU-7......Thanks for the replies, though.

Edited by thailoht

Why would you buy 5 wheels? Who is going to see that nice shiny spare hanging under the car?

Some high performance tires are designed to be directional. If that is the case, there is no reason to have five expensive wheels. MOST tires are NOT directional and the correct tire rotation uses five wheels. If four wheels are alloy and the spare is a plain steel wheel, you would have to dismount the spare at each rotation.

Why would you buy 5 wheels? Who is going to see that nice shiny spare hanging under the car?

Some high performance tires are designed to be directional. If that is the case, there is no reason to have five expensive wheels. MOST tires are NOT directional and the correct tire rotation uses five wheels. If four wheels are alloy and the spare is a plain steel wheel, you would have to dismount the spare at each rotation.

5 rims are hard to buy. They come in pairs, packed 2 in each box from most manufactorers.

Mu7 requires exact same wheel diameter on all 4 wheels to not damage 4x4 transfer case

If spare is not identical rim to other wheels, make sure you bring in car correct bolts/nuts to fit it when needed

.....Ooops, good point! :) But.......

....That's it!! I knew there was a reason I need the 5th wheel :-) In the event of a blowout in the middle of nowhere, I could just get out and put the spare on and keep on truckin' as opposed to either being 'stuck' and or risking damage or safety due to non-identical wheels/tires on an axle. Edited by thailoht

Hey, proud owners of a MU7 !

Mine, 2008 4x4 gold (yes I know), 22.000 Km, is a couple of weeks make a strange and worrying squeaking from the rear wheels (possibly the rear right). The noise increase the intensity (the beats for minute :) ) with the increase of the speed. If I suddenly brake noting change, but the noise starts at around 40 km/h. Sometime the noise simply disappear (usually after a 15/20 minutes driving). Tomorrow I'll go to Suratthani to bring the car to Isuzu.

Anyone knows or experiences something similar?

P.S.: When I made the 20.000 km assistance I said about this problem already, they say it was something connected to the silencer (??) and they fixed already. But the noise is a joker and never start when somebody check the car.

P.P.S.: Isuzu change me a fuel sensor for free because sometime the engine just low the power very much. They say it was a problem of the 2007/2008 model.

....That's it!! I knew there was a reason I need the 5th wheel :-) In the event of a blowout in the middle of nowhere, I could just get out and put the spare on and keep on truckin' as opposed to either being 'stuck' and or risking damage or safety due to non-identical wheels/tires on an axle.

If you go back and read this whole thread you will see the discussion on wheel/tire sizes. It makes no difference what size wheel you use provided the total diameter of the wheel/tire combination is the same. So the original spare steel wheel that come with your car will still work as a spare tire. Have you never seen the compact spares some cars come with? Looks like an overgrown bicycle tire, but the bolt pattern is the same and the diameter is the same. The width is irrelevant in this situation. Spare tires are exactly that, a spare to use till you get the original fixed.

As to rotating tires, again there is no need to include the spare in the rotation.

....That's it!! I knew there was a reason I need the 5th wheel :-) In the event of a blowout in the middle of nowhere, I could just get out and put the spare on and keep on truckin' as opposed to either being 'stuck' and or risking damage or safety due to non-identical wheels/tires on an axle.

If you go back and read this whole thread you will see the discussion on wheel/tire sizes. It makes no difference what size wheel you use provided the total diameter of the wheel/tire combination is the same. So the original spare steel wheel that come with your car will still work as a spare tire. Have you never seen the compact spares some cars come with? Looks like an overgrown bicycle tire, but the bolt pattern is the same and the diameter is the same. The width is irrelevant in this situation. Spare tires are exactly that, a spare to use till you get the original fixed.

As to rotating tires, again there is no need to include the spare in the rotation.

I just love these forums....I keep learning and learning and learning! :):D

I did not know that those small spare tires, 'Doughnuts' as we call them, are the 'equivalent' in size to any size of wheel with the appropriate sized replacement tire. Still, I have always liked going 'the extra mile' - The complete fix - and have a total 100% replacement spare - instead of the band-aid approach of depending on the doughnut. In addition, to that, I'll also have a readily available replaceable wheel and tire on hand for the many, many years that i intend to keep the MU-7. It just boils down to a personal (philosophical?) choice - I've always believed in trying to do the most and complete work in any job - especially when it comes to me and mine. I do the same thing with all the cars I buy.

You have given me yet another idea: To look for some type of fabric wheel covering material for my future under-the-car-spare to help protect it from the elements. I'll probably have to occasionally remove it to keep the wheel clean but a little extra work is OK for the several years that I'm hoping it will serve me.

Edited by thailoht

I considered a cover for the spare as well, but then rejected the idea. I think the cover would only be bag that would hold water/dirt in and provide a moist enviroment for the wheel to rust/corrode.

For the same reason I'm not a fan of car covers.

I considered a cover for the spare as well, but then rejected the idea. I think the cover would only be bag that would hold water/dirt in and provide a moist environment for the wheel to rust/corrode.

For the same reason I'm not a fan of car covers.

I dallied with the same thought and had already decided to either cut some strategically placed 'drainage' slits in the covering or (more probably) cut and sew in a few porous mesh material patches at those same points to allow for any drainage. It will be a little extra work, but, like the routine maintenance a mechanic does on a supersonic jet, I would diligently do here by checking the covering and also polishing/cleaning the spare wheel each time that I clean (and wax) the car during the hot and dry periods - which will be often!

During those days of continuous downpours, an additional option would be to keep the spare tire inside in the cargo area.

5 rims are hard to buy. They come in pairs, packed 2 in each box from most manufacturers.

....Man, this is my work-around for that situation: I'm going to look through their catalog, price some nice wheels, lay the appropriate amount of Baht on the counter and say, "I want 5 of these wheels". If the counter salesperson and then the Mgr protest, I'll just pick up my Baht and go to the next 'store' until I get the 5 wheels that I want.

Edited by thailoht

I just love these forums....I keep learning and learning and learning! :):D

I did not know that those small spare tires, 'Doughnuts' as we call them, are the 'equivalent' in size to any size of wheel with the appropriate sized replacement tire. Still, I have always liked going 'the extra mile' - The complete fix - and have a total 100% replacement spare - instead of the band-aid approach of depending on the doughnut. In addition, to that, I'll also have a readily available replaceable wheel and tire on hand for the many, many years that i intend to keep the MU-7. It just boils down to a personal (philosophical?) choice - I've always believed in trying to do the most and complete work in any job - especially when it comes to me and mine. I do the same thing with all the cars I buy.

You have given me yet another idea: To look for some type of fabric wheel covering material for my future under-the-car-spare to help protect it from the elements. I'll probably have to occasionally remove it to keep the wheel clean but a little extra work is OK for the several years that I'm hoping it will serve me.

doughnuts sparewheel are usually (much) smaller than original wheels, and thats no problem on a 2wd doing max 80kmh for 200km. doughnut speedlimit and lifetime.

Great looking car, CDNiniKS.

According to my dealer my rims are made by Thai Alloy Manufacturing. The model is Fearless.

Now that I have the car at home and am able to have a closer look, the wheels are made by TOP ALLOY WHEELS

Ahnsahn, have you taken delivery yet? Waiting to see the pictures.....

Ahnsahn, have you taken delivery yet? Waiting to see the pictures.....
:):D:D:D .........I'm weeks from placing my order (unfortunately). At least I have practically all of the issues pretty much worked out: Wheels size and exterior color......I'll probably be posting a white MU-7 with 17" wheels.

• 2 weeks later...

Calling out all proud MU7 owners!

Very happy with the MU7......go for Isuzu! The new Super Platinum just some improvements, like gps and something else.
I have to admit that at first I was in for a Fortuner but I've decided for the MU7......I've bought an Isuzu MU7 Super Platinum Primo AT. 18 inch rims and 265/70 tyres added. Before that I had two Isuzus D-Max LS. A 2003 one and a 2007 Gold Series. I've driven the MU7 for a holiday. Chiang Rai, Chiang Mai, Mae Hong Son, Mae Sariang, Mae Sot and Tak. 3,100 kilometres in nine days. Great, great car.
What do you mean by new model? I bought mine in October 2008 and have now done 40,000 km. Not had a single problem with it yet. Servicing at dealer every 5,000 km costs from 10 baht (yes 10 baht) up to a major service at 40,000 costing 4,800 baht. Only two services have been over 2,000 baht.

Vehicle drives well and is very comfortable in my opinion (note though that I took the third row of seats out the back to make the storage area bigger). Seats 4 people and loads of camping gear well. I have the 4 wheel drive model.

I have had an MU7 for 4 months and I am very happy with it.

Hey everyone!

(While I'm waiting to put in my order), how about letting us know how things are going with your MU7s?

For instance, Anguid, how much tread wear do you have left on your tires? :D

Aidenai, how's your upgraded sound system sounding? :)

Bkkmick, Artamus and Orac and everyone: Have any juicy MU7 stories you would like to share?

Also, know of any websites (or stores) that sell car and 17" wheel covers for the MU7? Does anyone know if Carry-Boy makes a specialized anti-theft bar/lock for the MU7?