Mu7...

bkkmick

• Replies 135
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I am considering these 265/60-18 tyres for the MU7: Michelin LTX M/S 2 or Pirelli Scorpion STR. Does anyone have any ideas about the overall performance on a MU7?

I'm going to upgrade the wheels and tires on my Pajero Sport to 18" as well. The tire shops all want to sell me Falken tires. I have done some research and seems that they have a pretty decent reputation and the price is right. Anyone with any first hand experience with them?

It seems that they really don't want to give a price on anything else, I asked about Bridgestone, Michelin, BF Goodrich. Was able to get one shop to show me a set of Michelins. The price was higher for sure.

Also every shop I went into tried to talk me out of 18" and into 20".........They may look ok, but I'm afraid of getting too low of a profile tire and ending up with a harsh ride. The 20" wheels require a 265/50 series tire rather than the 60 series.

Edited by CDNinKS

Toyota comes with rather expensive 17" wheels as standard, while Izu comes with 15" or 16" with cheap tyres.

Hence the inexpensive upgrade for Toyota, since the original wheels have a value.

What are the brand and model of the Fortuner tyres? What 18" tyre brands do you consider above average?

Fortuner and Vigo in 17" comes with the new Michelin or Bridgestones. These are roadbiased tyres, probably hopeless offroad.

18-20 I would source japanese tyres as they have a wide selection of good quality high load index tyres. Yokohama and Falken are easily available in LOS, not so important when buing all 4 new, but if one later distroyed it should be easily sourced. These thai/japanese suvs do not have very complicated or sensible suspension, so the tyres ability to brake and avoid aquaplanning are the most important issues.

Speedmarking S is 160 kmh on hot LOS roads, T is 170.

There are more expensive tyres available, but IMHO wasted money if you dont have Volvo X90, BMW MX5 or Range Rover

Choose roadbiased or offroad.

Do you recall the particular model of those Michelins? I just asked the salesman (the one who is going to order my MU7) to look around for some 'top quality rated' 18" tyres. I emphasized that my MU7 order is contingent on locating the tyres.......with that little incentive, I hope I can post some positive results - but this is LOS, so we will just have to wait and see.

In the meantime, what characteristics should I look for in order to select a quality wheel?

Sorry, I don't remember the model of the Michelin and as I say that was only one shop who even had one to show me. Katabeachbum makes a very good point about needing to replace just one tire at some point. Maybe best to stick with a tire that is easily found around LOS.

As far as wheels go I guess it a personal preference. I don't like the shiny chrome ones or the really intricate designs, too much like a pimpmobile for my taste. I think about ease of cleaning as well. For an SUV, I prefer the six spoke fairly heavy design, close to what the OEM wheels look like......but that is a personal choice.

Do you recall the particular model of those Michelins? I just asked the salesman (the one who is going to order my MU7) to look around for some 'top quality rated' 18" tyres. I emphasized that my MU7 order is contingent on locating the tyres.......with that little incentive, I hope I can post some positive results - but this is LOS, so we will just have to wait and see.

In the meantime, what characteristics should I look for in order to select a quality wheel?

Lenso is rather inexpensive in LOS, and good quality. Easily available in case one rim needs replacement

Enkei is perhaps better quality, but not easily availbale in 18-20 in LOS

Falken road tyres are ok. My Toyotas (tiger, yaris, sport rider) have all been on Bridgestone and with no complaints. Portenza on the yaris and A/Ts on the big stuff. Good all round use and lets face it, you ain't going to scale everest in the thing so road use is the norm.

Enjoy!

If you really do want grippers, Simex are available in thailand, they make 'em here too!

...thanx for all the feedback guys! I know we are in LOS but when everyone put their collective experiences/thoughts together about things it makes it so much easier for us to 'reach the goal post' (so to speak).

All this info about 'tyres' is an excellent example....it really adds up for one to make an informed decision given the environment we are in.

To add a little more: I just finished renting a Fortuner (2.7 benzene) and drove a total of 7.5K km. As much as I'm a MU7 fan, I must honestly admit that the Fortuner was a very smooth ride......you guys should have seen how it handled those mountain roads.....I thought I was a Formula One driver the way I was passing and taking those curves! So, with you saying that the Fortuner comes with Michelin or Bridgestones - that help explains the ride quality - if nothing else, I'll try to find a set of those for my MU7....even if I have to stay with a 17" wheel because they 'do' ride good - I can't speak for the tyre's longevity though.....

I am considering these 265/60-18 tyres for the MU7: Michelin LTX M/S 2 or Pirelli Scorpion STR. Does anyone have any ideas about the overall performance on a MU7?

I'm going to upgrade the wheels and tires on my Pajero Sport to 18" as well. The tire shops all want to sell me Falken tires. I have done some research and seems that they have a pretty decent reputation and the price is right. Anyone with any first hand experience with them?

I suffered for three years with 'steering pull' from Falken MT tires. From what I could find out the cause may have been 'ply steer' - the tires having been produced for a drive-on-the-right country but mistakenly exported (or dumped?) here. Recently changing the tires to a different make (Maxxis) was a huge relief.

So, with you saying that the Fortuner comes with Michelin or Bridgestones - that help explains the ride quality - if nothing else, I'll try to find a set of those for my MU7..

You may want to be careful thinking the ride quality is solely based on the tires. Don't forget the MU-7 has rear leaf springs and the Fortuner and Pajero Sport are coil. My Navara has leaf springs and you know it........it rides like a truck :)

the tires having been produced for a drive-on-the-right country

I have never heard of that. If you drove in the right hand lane of a 4 lane hi-way, did the problem go away? There is such a thing as directional tires (can only be mounted to turn one way) but I can't imagine there are right hand / left hand drive tires. I would suspect that there was a manufacturing defect with those tires causing the pull.

Edited by CDNinKS

CDNinks "You may want to be careful thinking the ride quality is solely based on the tires. Don't forget the MU-7 has rear leaf springs and the Fortuner and Pajero Sport are coil. My Navara has leaf springs and you know it........it rides like a truck."

That's absolutely right, tires won't be the sole determining factor of ride quality in this case! That very thought hit me as soon as I hit the "Add Reply Button" when I posted the statement - I knew it was going to come back and bite me.

:D Wasn't trying to bite you, just didn't want you to spend a lot money on tires expecting the same ride and handling you got from the Fortuner on your MU-7. I seriously considered the MU-7 before deciding on the Pajero Sport. I like the look of the 7 and I think it is good value for the money. The reason I decided against it was first and foremost the GF doesn't like it, so that was a show stopper in itself :) But also it just seems too big for our needs, I was concerned with the little lady bashing in the corners. We are selling a Honda Civic to get the Pajero Sport and amazingly enough the Pajero has a smaller turning circle than the Civic! The gf gets car sick in my Navara, so the leaf springs and likely harsher ride of the MU-7 was a concern as well.

But as I've said before, each to his own, it would be pretty boring if everyone drove a Fortuner :D

:D Wasn't trying to bite you, just didn't want you to spend a lot money on tires expecting the same ride and handling you got from the Fortuner on your MU-7. I seriously considered the MU-7 before deciding on the Pajero Sport. I like the look of the 7 and I think it is good value for the money. The reason I decided against it was first and foremost the GF doesn't like it, so that was a show stopper in itself :) But also it just seems too big for our needs, I was concerned with the little lady bashing in the corners. We are selling a Honda Civic to get the Pajero Sport and amazingly enough the Pajero has a smaller turning circle than the Civic! The gf gets car sick in my Navara, so the leaf springs and likely harsher ride of the MU-7 was a concern as well.

But as I've said before, each to his own, it would be pretty boring if everyone drove a Fortuner :D

I hear 'ya! I, too, had to choose between the Pro's and Con's among the SUVs. With everyone having their own guidelines, myself as a former owner of multiple Jeep Grand Cherokees, I want a nicely appointed 4x4 SUV that will last many, many years as they all did and one that comfortably seats as many people as possible and can also double as a 'pickup' to carry luggage or other items (in case of a household move?) or vacant interior space to 'stretch out' when travelling - with 3ard row seat removed.

I believe with Isuzu having the best performing 3.0 diesel engine in its class and its Asian mrkt leadership in diesel engine production, are the primary reasons I'm wed to the MU-7. Its chain driven timing versus Fortuner's belt driven timing is a winner. Also the fact that the Isuzu has 4x4 'On-the-Fly' as oppossed to Fortuner's full-time 4x4 which wastes fuel (I was getting 7.6 - 7.8 mileage!) and eats up tires at a faster rate not to mention that full time 4x4 is generally needed in LOS.

The other MU-7 'Pluses' are its superior DVD-MP3-GPS sound system and its more spacious and comfortable interior.

Fortuner beats the MU-7, IMHO, with its car-like ride - at least the 2.7 version that I drove for a month - those coil springs making the difference(?), its cruise control and electric seat options. Also its 4 wheel disc brakes are a powerful Plus over MU-7's rear drum brakes. :D

Like I said, I had to look at the 'total' package when choosing the MU-7 w/o all the options I'd really prefer, but I'm hoping with this choice not to need to spend another THB ~ 1.3M for another car for many, many, many a year - if ever! I'm going with Aidenai's cool stereo upgrade and only have to find the best tires to make this a complete pkg. Oh...I'm only about 90% clear as to the color choice.

The Bridgestone Dueler H/T tires on the Fortuner, though they ride well, seem to wear out too fast - but those c/o were from a couple of CR-V owners who also have full time 4x4(?). I'll see if I can find a nice riding set of 18" tires to help neutralize(:-) 'that truck-like ride' and that won't wear out too fast.....I'd hate to stay with those puny looking dealer 16'' wheels.

(Fortunately my better half also drove our Jeep Grand Cherokee, so she [better be :D ] comfortable behind the wheel of our MU-7!)

Edited by Ahnsahn

Fortuner beats the MU-7, IMHO, with its car-like ride - at least the 2.7 version that I drove for a month - those coil springs making the difference(?), its cruise control and electric seat options. Also its 4 wheel disc brakes are a powerful Plus over MU-7's rear drum brakes. sad.gif

Don't give Toyota too much credit, the Fortuner has rear drum brakes as well, as does the Pajero Sport. I don't believe any of the larger SUV's have rear discs. I also didn't think the Fortuner had a power seat, never seen one with that option. The Pajero has an 8 way power drivers seat. The one thing that I'm not happy with on the Pajero is the GPS option. An Alpine system that is obviously an add-on after thought. I am going to have to find a solution to that problem myself. I have no need for a 4X4, so went with the 2X4 model for the reasons you mentioned.

Good luck and post back with some pictures of the wheels and tires you finally settle on.

Fortuner beats the MU-7, IMHO, with its car-like ride - at least the 2.7 version that I drove for a month - those coil springs making the difference(?), its cruise control and electric seat options. Also its 4 wheel disc brakes are a powerful Plus over MU-7's rear drum brakes. sad.gif

Don't give Toyota too much credit, the Fortuner has rear drum brakes as well, as does the Pajero Sport. I don't believe any of the larger SUV's have rear discs. I also didn't think the Fortuner had a power seat, never seen one with that option. The Pajero has an 8 way power drivers seat. The one thing that I'm not happy with on the Pajero is the GPS option. An Alpine system that is obviously an add-on after thought. I am going to have to find a solution to that problem myself. I have no need for a 4X4, so went with the 2X4 model for the reasons you mentioned.

Good luck and post back with some pictures of the wheels and tires you finally settle on.

They all have rear drums, its just that Fortuners brakes are one inch larger front and rear since November 2008, giving 25% more effective brakes.

Powerseat is standard, VSC (vehicle stability control) is too, so is it on my Vigo pickup.

Full time 4X4, it improves traction very much even on dry roads. Needed or not? Up to you

Of course Pajero Sport and Fortuner is in another league when it comes to ride comfort and traction with rear coil springs.

I stand corrected on the power seat on the Fortuner, I guess I was thing about the MU-7. I looked at so many models they all seem to blend together :)

Oh...I'm only about 90% clear as to the color choice.

I'm going with white once again for the Pajero. Had a hard time convincing the gf to go with white on the Civic, but now she really prefers it. Of course at first she wanted black. I like black as well......WHEN IT IS CLEAN.....which is only for 10 minutes after you leave the wash shop. Also way too hot to sit in after leaving it in the sun. White or any light color like silver for me.

Edited by CDNinKS

Brrr....

why don't you leave your car quiet?

....I know, I know - but beauty is in the eye of the beholder (or is it the 'Modifier'?) :)

More seriously though, besides enhancing the exterior appearance, are there any performance benefits from having 18" tyres on a MU-7 instead of the Isuzu supplied 16" tyres? Reversely, what if anything is lost staying with the 16" tyres instead of installing 18" tyres?

Another technical question: Is the MU-7 specifically designed/tuned to get the best possible performance from its 16" tyres and installing 18' tyres will 'take away' from that peak performance setup?

Edited by thailoht

A friend of mine with D-max (same chassis of MU7) have a problem with the front 18' tires (or 17" I don't recall). With step turn the tire touch the plastic protection, so the rubber is scratched.

About the MU7 specifically designed to get the best performance with 16", i don't think so, the engine still have a big reserve of power (the actual 3000 cc is detuned), maybe just some light difference in the tachi/odometer.

The wheel size is irrelevant. The tire size may make a difference if the correct tires are not matched to the wheel size. The larger wheel requires tires with a lower profile so the total diameter of the tire wheel combination does not change.

For example, if the factory wheel is 17" and the tire is a 265/65 R17 and you change to an 18" wheel and install 265/60R 18 tires on those wheels, nothing will change as the profile is lower (going from 65 to 60 ) so the total diameter is the same. If however you put 265/65 R18 tires on those wheels then the total package will have a larger diameter and then you run into problems such as tires rubbing on fender wells and the speedometer/odometer being inaccurate. Also installing wider tires than original can cause rubbing problems.

So, changing the wheel size is all about looks, but in my opinion I don't want too large a wheel that results in too low a profile tire as they are harder riding because they do not have the same amount of sidewall so not as much flex.

Edited by CDNinKS

Aidenai, is your 300 Watt Subwoofer amp a Class D mono block and is your subwoofer 10" or 12"? Do you know if this Alpine MRP M-350 amp is the same classification as yours? http://www.google.com/search?q=alpine+mrp-...lient=firefox-a

It's not a mono block. It's a bridged 2-channel. Follow the link for the specification.

http://www.zapco.com/prod/iforce_prods/i2100_06_Frame.htm

I have the i-2100 from the previous series. The output is a bit lower according to my manual.

Edited by aidenai

Aidenai, is your 300 Watt Subwoofer amp a Class D mono block and is your subwoofer 10" or 12"? Do you know if this Alpine MRP M-350 amp is the same classification as yours? http://www.google.com/search?q=alpine+mrp-...lient=firefox-a

It's not a mono block. It's a bridged 2-channel. Follow the link for the specification.

http://www.zapco.com/prod/iforce_prods/i2100_06_Frame.htm

I have the i-2100 from the previous series. The output is a bit lower according to my manual.

Cool! I'm hoping you understand the 'mechanics' of your stereo hook-up because my technical understanding is about ziltch: Doesn't your 1x300 Watt I-force amp solely power the (rear) subwoofer (BTW, what size is the subwoofer inside that enclosure?) and if so, wouldn't I be able to substitute the 2-bridge amp with the mono amp?

Also, does your 4x100 watt amp only power the speakers?

The subwoofer, 10 inch, is solely powered by the 1x300W amplifier. The two one-way speakers (rear) and the two two-way speakers (front)are powered by the 4x100W amplifier. A 2-Ch bridge does basically the same as a mono block. My understanding is that mono blocks are more expensive. Both amplifiers come together at the equaliser which is hooked up with the Kenwood System.

Edited by aidenai