Which Laptop.

Moonrakers

I will be looking for a new laptop early next month.

I don't want the whistles and bells and I am certainly not looking for something as a fashion item. I just want something that is reliable and practical, will allow me to use microsoft office and to browse the net using wi-fi.

I am on a budget but would definitely prefer something new.

Any recommendations?

Thanks

Speaking for myself, I will never buy another full blown laptop. I use my desktop for anything that requires much muscle and the laptop is a backup and for traveling. One of the new net-books will be my choice if/when my high powered Laptop dies. Smaller, lighter and more suitable for traveling, most net-books have WiFi installed and easily hook up to an EDGE cell phone.

Laptops are difficult and usually expensive to have repaired. Most any small computer shop Somchais know their way around a desktop. Repairs and upgrades are cheap.

Netbooks are cool and cheap but tiny display may not work for everyone.

There's a whole range of low-cost laptops just out from all the big names incl. Acer, HP/Compaq, Lenovo. Dual-core Intel CPU, 1-2 GB RAM 250GB HD in the 14,000-16,000 range. Well worth a look if you're in the market for a new laptop.

just bought the wife a samsung nc10 for 13,800. does everything great little netbook. quite fast actually. the screen is a bit small for me but you can always hook up a monitor to it. great for travelling slips into her handbag. very happy with it fot its size.

Today making potty with Thai newspapers for my dog, i saw few adds for notebook, Lacer and Dell

Both price were the same 21990 baht, the Dell configuration were a bit better :

Dell Vostro 1320

Intel core 2 duo (2.20Ghz)

Windows 7 home

3 GB sdram

250GB Sata HD, I think free upgrade to 320GB

13.3 inch WXGA display

Again, thanks for the advice for all.

I have the kit at home to do the 'heavy' stuff, which is why I am looking for something else to work from that is lightweight. The 10k sort of price range should suit my needs.

@ phazey, Intel have their European HQ based in Swindon. :)