Old Passports Retained?

Hello.

We're currently getting the documents together for my Thai fiancee to apply for a visit visa to the UK and I see the UKBA require all of her old passports to check previous applications etc.

She tells me had a visit visa to the states refused a few years back and has since had to get a new passport, due to that one expiring, and that she never got the old one back when she received her new one.

Seems unusual to me. Anyone know if this Is this normal?

Also, in my sponsors letter I've explained that she is apprehensive about living in the UK and wants to come over for a 3 month trip to try life here prior to returning to Thailand and getting married late next year. My question is on the Visit Visa form, VAF1 it asks 'reason for visit', do I just put holiday or to visit a friend, i.e. me?

Thanks,

Knorty.

Reason for visit tourist/visit partner.

Any old passports lost/stolen should be declared on the form .

My experience is our applications are back within 5 days, however if lost passports are declared or damaged ones are inserted with pages missing its a lot longer.

If you require professional help with the application we have an office in the UK/Thailand.

Thanks for the reply but what about her not getting her old passport back. She tells me that in Thailand old passports are never returned upon issue of a new one. Is this correct?

Not correct, at least in my wife's case. She has one expired passport and one "cancelled" still here, neither one has holes punched or corner cut off, as is done with U.S. passports. The cancelled one has her U.S. 10-year visa so it needs to be carried along with her current passport for entry into the U.S.

Mac