Help, Why Does One Need To Put A Wardrobe In Front Of A Buddha Image?

Well, explaining this to a Thai, will, more often than not, result in an angry reaction, not dissimilar to the one of a three-year old.. :)

The function of a Buddha image is to remind us to be mindful, but that isn't something you really need in the bedroom. Better to have the Buddha image in another room. Obviously, your partner feels very uncomfortable about this, feeling that the image is sacred and that ideally one refrains from sensual pleasure. The problem here is how your partner feels rather than how the Buddha image feels. No amount of logical argument will change that.

Camerata said it all. no more arguments accepted. case closed!

What I meant was no amount of logical/intellectual arguments from the farang partner will convince a Thai partner (to feel comfortable) who feels uncomfortable about a Buddha image "watching" the bed. As others have said, putting the image above the head of the bed where it can't "see" is probably the best solution. However, I believe there may be some traditional rules about which direction of the compass an image should face.

Same. same for Christians and pictures of Jesus etc. - pretty obvious really - sex and aestheticism do not mix - anyway we all need to move on... it's not the object but what the object represents - whether that is a picture of Buddha, Jesus or your Mother!

cmf, now you are quoting me...... about the religious pics in the room.

if u all take in to consideration that a good percentage of poor working thai families live in a single room apartment with grandma, kids and married pair sleeping in the one room, i think that ,as i said before, thais find good solutions to problems even if it means moving the wardrobe as a blocking device...

ive seen people who do like a little corner and put a curtain (like a shower curtain type thing) in front as a sort of divider;

...need is the mother of invention even when re arranging rooms

bina

israel

cmf, now you are quoting me...... about the religious pics in the room.

if u all take in to consideration that a good percentage of poor working thai families live in a single room apartment with grandma, kids and married pair sleeping in the one room, i think that ,as i said before, thais find good solutions to problems even if it means moving the wardrobe as a blocking device...

ive seen people who do like a little corner and put a curtain (like a shower curtain type thing) in front as a sort of divider;

...need is the mother of invention even when re arranging rooms

bina

israel

Yes... I can see that... sometimes no choice

Install a miniature set of curtains. :)

Good idea, but impractical. :D

Problem is, that the image has to be in that particular place, but it shouldn't 'watch nighttime activities'.. BTW, is this a Buddhist, or a Thai thing??

go to your local wat or your wifes wat and ask the abbot to advise on placement of the Buddha statue... it should be in a place of respect, above or level with your head... mostly, it's a Thai thing.. did you ever notice the Buddha statues in the bars in Bangkok... no one seems to mind playing around in front of them there... you know, grabbing, kissing, etc. In Thailand, it's kind of like, well, this is business, and that's private... give me a break... Have none of this people heard of, no booze, no fooling around, no lying... It seems these things don't apply to business... sorry, just ranting a little...

The statue is plastic or metal. "It" isn't 'watching.' Nor does 'it' eat the food offerings.

Well, explaining this to a Thai, will, more often than not, result in an angry reaction, not dissimilar to the one of a three-year old.. :D

also very true.... :)

Well, explaining this to a Thai, will, more often than not, result in an angry reaction, not dissimilar to the one of a three-year old.. :D

The function of a Buddha image is to remind us to be mindful, but that isn't something you really need in the bedroom. Better to have the Buddha image in another room. Obviously, your partner feels very uncomfortable about this, feeling that the image is sacred and that ideally one refrains from sensual pleasure. The problem here is how your partner feels rather than how the Buddha image feels. No amount of logical argument will change that.

truly well said.... :)

hang on... thats not fair! I was being generous to the thread - I was making the point that this threads subject is NOT about what is Buddhist and what maybe not. I was saying we should discuss in another thread - your perception of English and context and meaning is pretty poor I must say! I have NEVER stated what is or what is not Buddhism -

I think the point probably was that you appear to be judging Bina, and the beliefs and devout nature of her other half. It seemed clear why her husband wanted the image where it is. Myself, never having met any of her extended family, nor having ever spent any time in the monastery with them or their Abbot, I would not pass comment on their understanding of Buddhism.

My English must be a bit slack as well then, as the irony inherent in raising an issue then closing it was apparent to me also.

As this is a Buddhist Forum, I try to use that fact as an opportunity to exhibit compassion. That includes moving away from negative judgements, and so I try to be respectful in my very occasional postings. Hopefully I have been to you.

On the subject of the original post, maybe as the Buddha-rupa is a representation of both Buddha Sakyamuni and one's own Buddha-nature, that is why it makes people feel uncomfortable to have an image in the bedroom. It does not mean, one wouldn't think, that those concerned about positioning of images are somehow puritanical or uncomfortable with themselves and their relationship. I would suggest a respectful turning around of the image, or the positioning of an item smaller than a wardrobe in front of it, should be enough to ensure discretion.