Visa Med Certificate Question For Bangkokians

I had the most complete physical exam of MY LIFE at BNH Hospital on Soi Convent about a month ago. The cost was 28,000 baht.

Today, at the hospital, I picked up a summary of the results of all the lab tests, etc. I asked for a medical certificate for retirement visa purposes because the MD who oversaw my physical was not available when my physical was being completed in March.

I was told today that to get a visa medical certificate I had to pay an additional 300 baht, then it was reduced to100 baht, and then increased to 400 baht.

I told them I would go elsewhere for my medical certificate and would also go elsewhere for any future physical exams and medical needs. :o:D

I received the med certificate in the past as part of my annual physical at BNH for several years and before that at Bumrungrad with no problems.

Two questions:

Is a hospital the only place that can issue a med cert. for visa purposes? I think that clinics used to be able to issue the med cert but think I read that visa rules now require a hospital-issued certificate. Is this correct?

I did a search of Thai Visa for med certificate costs and see a range of 50-200 baht to get the certificate issued. Can someone advise where I can get a quick and cheap certificate near the lower Sukhumvit Area?

Thank you.

Farangene, Any small medical clinic you visit will issue you a Medical Certificate for a visa, probably for 100 baht or less, and a short visit. I know of one on Soi 11 (about 100 meters on the left side on the small horseshoe soi where Cheap Charlies sits).

I am sure there are many others in the lower Sukhumvit area.

If you really paid 28K Baht for something I paid 30 Baht please don't come anywhere near my local surgery at Ban Bung! They might get ideas.

I am not a total idiot!

The physical exam I had was quite extensive and I think worth the money that I paid. A similar exam in the US would have cost several thousand dollars more.

The only part that pissed me off was that BNH did not give me the Ret. Visa med cert as aprt of the exam, even though they had in the past.

Edited by farangene

the ear , nose and throat doctors clinic on suk 22.

its just past the beer bars and the mini mart , opposite the massage place and before the imperial queens park , about 200yards down from sukhumvit

the doc is there most evenings , the "check up" takes 30 seconds , consists of 15 sec with a stethoscope and a 15 sec blood pressure check.

the official looking certificate either costs 100 or 200 baht , (it varies depending on god knows what , but i never argue.)

Med certificates for visas / work permits can be obtained anywhere. Hospitals are convenient and cheap. I went to Viphavadi Rangsit hospital (closest to my home) last time, cost 110 Baht. They took my blood pressure, weighed me, listened to my chest with a stethoscope, asked me if I had Elephantitis... then wrote up the certificate and sent me on my way.

In lower Sukhumvit you can go to Bumrungrad Hospital. They will do the same, and include an eye examination for 300 baht.

Hope this helps.

Just to clarify guys for all you thinking that Gene got ripped off, a Medical exam (health screening) at a hospital is a totally different prospect from a Medical Cert exam.

These examinations are now becoming compulsory before employment in a lot of countries for highr level execs etc etc.

I used the Suk11 clinic also for my medical cert. Very quick and painless.

Just to clarify guys for all you thinking that Gene got ripped off, a Medical exam (health screening) at a hospital is a totally different prospect from a Medical Cert exam.

These examinations are now becoming compulsory before employment in a lot of countries for highr level execs etc etc.

I used the Suk11 clinic also for my medical cert. Very quick and painless.

EVO is correct except I did it for my own health monitoring, not for employment purposes. I consider it money very well-spent and probably would have cost me at least $3,000 to $5,000 in the states for similar tests. Fortunately, no health problems were found.

Finishing on a bright note, I went to Suan Plu this afternoon and was finished with my visa renewal from start to finish in 30 minutes. Also did my 90 day reporting in less than 5 minutes. :o

Best time to go to immigration is in the middle of the week (Tue-Wed-Thur) in the afternoon after 2 PM except if you are anticipating some kind of problem. This advice came from the immigration officer who processed my visa.

• 3 months later...