Aud$150.00 Fee For Atm Withdrawl

Did an ATM withdrawl on Friday at a UOB ATM, for 25,000baht, and I was charged an AUD$150.00 (around 4,350baht) fee, on top of the normal fees.

I've contacted my bank in Oz, is this able to be solved by them or would I have to contact UOB bank here?

Edited by mussen

ANZ does charge high fees for any overseas transaction but not $150. I think they charged me BT600 when I used an ATM here to draw money from my account in Oz. I no longer use ATM abroad and instead use credit cards and carry cash

This is interesting to read about. I hope you don't mind my asking a silly question without wanting to drag the thread too far off-topic. In 2006, I remember there being a fairly flat-rate fee by the ANZ to withdraw from my savings account - around $6.00 AUD.

It made sense to withdraw 9,900 thb at a time to keep the fees within reason for the amount of the transaction. Can I expect to be fleeced more than previously by my aussie bank of the last decade next week when I find myself at the Cirrus-Maestro machine once again?

This is interesting to read about. I hope you don't mind my asking a silly question without wanting to drag the thread too far off-topic. In 2006, I remember there being a fairly flat-rate fee by the ANZ to withdraw from my savings account - around $6.00 AUD.

It made sense to withdraw 9,900 thb at a time to keep the fees within reason for the amount of the transaction. Can I expect to be fleeced more than previously by my aussie bank of the last decade next week when I find myself at the Cirrus-Maestro machine once again?

This time is finish, few years ago they decide to have charge for oversee withdraw or purchase.

I realize this when i bought a coffee machine in Bangkok and find myself with around 3 % extra cost.

Visa is best to avoid most of the time.

I have now a thai credit card, and do transfer once a month, i am not sure with cirrus.

+ thai bank are charging a 150 baht fee as well now

Edited by simcity

Here's a reply from Westpac Bank

---------------------------------------------------

Why we’re writing

I am writing to acknowledge your concern regarding the excessive fee charged to your

account when you used an ATM in Thailand. We are sorry for the inconvenience this has

caused you and I’ve personally looked into this matter.

What we’ve done

After looking into your situation I can confirm that this fee was determined and charged

from the owner of the ATM and not by Westpac. Because this fee was seemed high for

the type of transaction you were doing, and also that you had not been charged before, I

retrieved the documents to show all withdrawals made by Westpac customers from that

particular overseas bank over several days around the 20th November. Unfortunately it

appears that all cards used in this time have also been charged AUD150.00 by the United

Overseas Bank of Thailand.

I have sent a copy of this report and advised our team who looks after these products to

urgently look into the unusual fee to determine if it was an error by the overseas bank or if

that is a standard fee they will be charging from now on. As soon as I have a response I

will let you know the outcome.

Once again we would like to sincerely apologise for any inconvenience this has caused.

If you’d like to discuss this further with me, or if there is anything else I can help you

with, please contact me directly on +### #### #### or on the e-mail above.

Yours sincerely

Edited by mussen

to determine if it was an error by the overseas bank or if

that is a standard fee they will be charging from now on. As soon as I have a response I

will let you know the outcome.

Thought the above was interesting, UOB possibly to start charging AUD$150 for ATM withdrawls?? Ouch

:)