Need Adsl Modem W/ Ethernet Port -

buadhai

I'm looking to buy a simple ADSL modem with an Ethernet port. I already have a router, so I don't need a combination modem/router. The only thing I've found here in Korat is either a ADSL modem with only a USB port or an ADSL modem/router combination.

I'll be using TT&T, so I need a modem that supports PPPoE.

Can anyone point me to a source for such a thing (online order maybe), or am I going to have to make a trek in to Bangers and visit Panthip?

TIA

I don't think you will find one.

Modems alone use usb.

With Ethernet the router comes as standard.

See if you can trade in the router for a modem/router.

I suggest looking for one with more than one ethernet sockect,

you never know when you might want to have a second machine connected.

PS are you sure it is a router, not just an ethernet hub?

As Astral said, you won't find one. But you wouldn't really want one either...

A plain modem that has an ethernet port would be a very strange beast, where the computer or other router on the ethernet segment would have to know how to do PPPoE (over ethernet) and the modem would act as bridge to send the ethernet frames onto the ADSL link.

It is much simpler to use a modem with integrated router so that the device itself handles PPPoE login and then provides normal TCP/IP routing for the computer(s) and router(s) on the LAN.

These days, the hardware platform is a modem, embedded processor, and ethernet port. Whether it is a router or not is just some extra software loaded by the vendor.

Although Zyxel is generally good, I've had some bad experiences with them in the past. There was one time when we couldn't find out what was wrong with our mail transfers (while everything else was working fine), and it turned out that the Zyxel router was malfunctioning and needed a reset. Another time, my Zyxel ethernet ADSL modem didn't have the proper menus. After several support e-mails, they finally gave me a new firmware. The firmware KILLED the modem to the point where no reset was possible.

Plain ethernet ADSL modems (without routing capability) were the modems commonly given out by US ADSL providers. They were also sold by Thai ADSL providers to corporate users. They acted as bridges (for pppoe or ethernet bridging) or simple straight-through routers (with pppoa). That's why most DSL routers have ethernet ports, because it's what DSL users in the US most commonly used. It seems that True has also (finally) started to give out ethernet ADSL modems (+lan cards) to new subscriblers. They actually make more sense in that they're platform independent and not linked to the sometimes unstable USB port.

There are ethernet modems sold by True (Zyxel), but they're about as expensive (or more) than router/modems that you can buy at Pantip/IT Mall. Router/modem combos are fairly cheap right now.

For the last year I was living on Saipan I had ADSL service from Verizon. They supplied me with an ADSL modem (by Paradyne) that had a single ethernet port. It was a modem only, not a router. I connected the modem to my router with a standard ethernet cable. I configured my (wireless) router to serve private IP addresses to my computers and other network devices via DHCP. It worked great. I was hoping to duplicate that success by finding a similar modem here in LOS.

If simple ADSL modems with a single Ethernet port are not available here, that's fine. Just thought I'd ask....

As far as I know, such beasts are common in the US.

:o

There are ethernet modems sold by True (Zyxel), but they're about as expensive (or more) than router/modems that you can buy at Pantip/IT Mall.  Router/modem combos are fairly cheap right now.

Thanks for your clarifying post.

I saw an ADSL/router at the IT Center here in Korat for 1700 baht. I think it was by Dlink. Maybe I'll just go for that.

If simple ADSL modems with a single Ethernet port are not available here, that's fine. Just thought I'd ask....

As far as I know, such beasts are common in the US.

:D

In my defense, you have to admit that being common in the U.S. doesn't necessarily make something less strange. :D

I like to forget those things existed. Even my old ISDN adapter had an integrated router and 4-port ethernet switch. I cannot see why anybody would actually want the non-router device...

Perhaps I am cynical, but I think the single-port bridge devices were an attempt by the telecoms to encourage the one-host-per-link policy because of the fact that most users would just follow the installation plan and run software on the PC to do the PPPoE stuff without any questions. Having extra ports would be too enticing and endanger the telecom's goal of selling service to individuals rather than to dwellings. They'd still be charging for each phone connected to the same line, and requiring acoustically coupled modems, if the feds had not stepped in.

BTW, we've been relatively happy with a D-Link DSL-G604T ADSL router w/ ethernet and 802.11g that we got at Pantip and use w/ True service. All our problems have been True rather than D-Link's fault. :o

I have been using a plain Ethernet-ADSL modem for the past 3 weeks here in Bangkok with my new TRUE ADSL line. The brand/model is: HUAWEI SmartAX MT800. According to the user's manual, it does support PPPoE. So far, it has been working fine (it's on almost all the time). I believe that this is exactly the kind of device you need. I think that TRUE sells this modem separately in their shops, but I do not know the price since the one I have was given free as part of the package. Why don't you call TRUE and ask? The price may be competitive since they might have ordered really large quantities, given the number of new subscribers they sign daily (and forecasted to sign in the future!).

Having been to Panthip recently, I quickly saw some other Ethernet-ADSL modems in some shops, but that was before you posted (otherwise, I would have taken the reference and shop name to communicate to you). So, I am pretty sure you'll find this device there.

Edited by Morbius

Thanks to all for the tips. (No need to defend yourself autonomous_unit, you posted what you knew and that's what I was asking for.) If I can't get down to Panthip in time, I'll just buy a modem/router and use my existing router as a wireless bridge.

I like the idea of having the modem separate from the router. Last year I switched form cable modem service to ADSL and all I had to do was swap modems. I left the existing router and LAN configuration as it was. Plus, if the the modem or router ever fail, you have a lot less to replace.

JMHO

Morbius, don't be so sure about True's intentions. When they were doing ADSL a scant few years ago, they didn't give out any modems with their subscriptions. Well, they actually did, in that they forced you to buy a crappy USB modem from them for 8,000 baht with the subscription. This was at a time when other countries were giving out superior ethernet ADSL modems (or even routers) for free. Some were even throwing in a free webcam.

True still only has around 200k subscribers, about the same amount that other countries count as *new* subscribers each month. Not much at all, but it's consistant with True's *extremely* professional service. Yeah, right.

Firefoxx, did I make any assumption as for TRUE's intentions? I do not think I would even dare doing so, especially in an open forum like this one!

I simply wanted to help Mgnewman and contribute by mentioning this specific Ethernet-ADSL modem that I use and that is exactly the kind of device he is looking for.

As you know, TRUE recently changed the ADSL modem they put in for free for their new subscribers in their unlimited ADSL package: they replaced the USB ZYXEL modem with the Ethernet HUAWEI. I am particularly aware of this as I subscribed to their service last month just 3 days before the change. I was given the ZYXEL modem then. When I saw that TRUE had changed the modem in their package, I went back to them and I asked if I could change. They accepted, so I returned the ZYXEL and was given a HUAWEI modem in place.

All this to say that, if TRUE now puts an Ethernet-ADSL modem in their package, they must have arranged a good deal with a manufacturer (after all, TRUE is probably now the largest purchaser of ADSL modems in Thailand), and that, perhaps this modem can be purchased at their shops at a good price. But that remains to be seen and this is why I suggested to Mgnewman to check with them.

I am rather new in Bangkok, but I am not surprised at all to hear from you about TRUE's past policies. I have been using ADSL services since 1999 (outside Thailand, of course), and I have seen similar policies being deployed elsewhere.

Well, I was referring to the forcasts and such, but it was probably a misunderstanding. I mentioned in my first reply that True was now giving ethernet modems instead of the usual USB modems. I did see True selling Zyxel ethernet modems, the 650's, for 5,xxx baht. Not a great price, considering that these have traditionally been given out for free in the US. That's why I said that getting a modem/router would be the better choice.

Another story about True, related to the ethernet modems: The original True (then, "TA") DSLAMs installed at COs were from Nokia. They worked fairly well, and people got good speeds. Later on, True switched to the much cheaper "Huawei" DSLAMs for any new installations (or expansions). They didn't work so well, and subscribers experienced slow speeds (compared to Nokia DSLAMs), compatibility issues, and general lack of stability. One major issue was that anyone connected to Huawei DSLAMs would be issued private IPs... not good for much except general surfing. It then became a hot topic to try to find any DSLAMs which still had open Nokia ports. Of course, True blamed it on the Huawei DSLAMs, which were actually Cisco-compatible.

I signed up for True internet, paid B1070, and received a Huawei (?) ADSL modem and PC internet card (and 2 free months of internet usage). The modem uses an RJ45 plug, not a USB port. Unfortunately, I have a Mac, and was forced to buy a router. I'm not using the ADSL modem, and I'll sell it to you cheap. Email me @ [email protected]. I live in the BKK CBD. Cheers!

I signed up for True internet, paid B1070, and received a Huawei (?) ADSL modem and PC internet card (and 2 free months of internet usage).  The modem uses an RJ45 plug, not a USB port.  Unfortunately, I have a Mac, and was forced to buy a router.  I'm not using the ADSL modem, and I'll sell it to you cheap.  Email me @ [email protected].  I live in the BKK CBD.  Cheers!

Ooops! A day late. Just bought a D-Link modem/router for 2K....

• 5 months later...

I have a few computer...bot mac and pc in my house...i just signed up for true 1,5m.

The modem noly have one ethernet connection....can i install an additional wireless router to this? and use it for all my computers?

What is the recommended wireless router in bangkok in concern to compatability and connection speed?

i got(bought) an Huawei MT800 with the subscription. should i ask them to give me a Nokia instead?

Why is the price 4 times as high for a company than for home use? i mean my office is in my house anyways!

Any special reason? common practice among the looters?

another thing is cencorship of politically incorrect sites...is there anyway to reprogram the modem? i think i read some thread about True programming their modems with constrictions and the method of resetting the modem..

Thanx for all replies..i appreciate your time and help

have anice day anyways.

PK

Hello,

I am wondering if somebody could help me, I am trying to configure a cisco router

with an ADSL interface to connect to True internet with a static IP Address provided by them. What I am relly looking for is a sample config for this, if not would anybody happen to know what settings I would need on the ATM interface in terms of encapsulation and the PVC setting

Thankyou

Ian