Changing Ownership Of 2nd Hand Car

Toffeeman

I am new to Thailand and was looking for some information about what is involved with changing ownership details of the car I have just bought. I couldnt find anything much so having now gone through the process I thought I would explain what to do to help other noobs like me.

Step 1: Get change of ownership forms from registration building. The man behind the desk showed where to sign and where the previous owner should sign.

Step 2: Sign documents, get them witnessed and take back along with copy of passport. You need visa and picture page copied and then sign the copy. I got my tabien bahn from my landlord and copied the address page and took a copy of my rental agreement.

Step 3. Get proof of address. Thinking I had all the forms I went to Car Reg place but they said I needed proof of address form from Immigration. So next was a trip to Immigration. Both buildings are quite close here in Phuket. At Phuket Immi there were 3 farang immi police to show you what form you needed, how to fill it in and where to queue. Filled in form and got proof of address for 300 baht. Immi officer suggested I photocopy the form before giving original to Car Reg people and stick in my passport to save time if I have to get proof again.

Step 4. As I had bought form a fellow farang I needed photocopy of his visa and picture page from his passport. Once again made sure he signed

the copies. With all the forms now ready for 3rd trip to Car Reg.

Step 5. Man at Car Reg carefully checked forms and then showed me where to fill in my name, etc as it is all in Thai. Then paid 515 baht for the privilege. Thought it was all done but no.

Step 6. Car check. He vaguely pointed me in the direction of another building where the engine number was checked by use of masking tape and a pencil. Masking tape then put on the form. Then have to take the forms to another desk in that building. The lady checks a few more things and then sent me back to original building. The original man fills in more of the forms, stamps it about 20 times and gives me a small receipt saying come back tomorrow afternoon to pick up the book.

Step 7. Showed receipt. Book was found and given to me. Had to sign my name in another book and then I was done.

So it took me 4 trips which could probably have been done in 2 if I knew all that had to be done. You can get someone to go for you for a fee but as I like to work things out for myself and practice my Thai when I can I decided to do it all myself.

I may have missed out a few details so would be interested in what others have done.

Edited by Toffeeman

• 4 weeks later...

in the Case of buying a second Hand Car from another Area than my own, what the provious Owner have to sign for me?

Can I do it without the Presence of the former Owner?

Let´s say, the wnated Car is registered in Phuket - what will I have to do, if I want to buy this Car?

• 1 month later...