Soft Drinks To Be Banned In Government Schools In Bangkok

webfact

I doubt it will happen. What they say and what they do are 2 different things. Same as everything in Thailand in regards to law, ie banning talking on phones in cars, motorcycle helmets, restricting kids time in internet shops etc. The best way to combat obesity in kids is for the F@#*ing parents to take a reponsible attitude towards raising their kids instead of getting someone else to do it! Schools make money out of selling all this candy, so who will enforce the law???

I can't cite the source, but sometime ago there was a study done regarding the relationship between watching TV (and I am assuming internet, computer) etc and weight in children. The study found that it is not only the level of inactivity that causes the weight gain, but the fact that children tend to snack more while watching TV.

... combined with the brainwashing and dumbing down of Thai TV does not a great combination make.

You either believe that kids stuffing themselves with junk food is bad or you don't. Any move to limit fizzy sugar caffeine derinks is a move in the right direction. The movie "Supersize Me" has a good section on delinquent children improving in school and attention when their diet is cleaned up. Additionally fizzy drinks interfere with calcium uptake causing problems later in life. Agree most of the fruit drinks are just as bad.

Why just Bangkok, what about baan nok, or do the people in charge (chinese) not really care too much about the country folk???

Maybe you missed it in your desire to get a dig in at the "chinese", but you might have noticed this was put forth by the Bangkok Metropolitan Administration. Other cities would have to make their own rules on the matter for their own school districts, BMA can only implement this in the schools they control.

Yea, let's follow the American school system lead on that one Scott. --bkkjames

I don't recall mentioning anything about the American school system. I fail to see your point.

I'll step in here and help for a moment. I think bkkjames is reminding us that the Thai system could well follow the American school system as to their efforts in trying to steer kids toward more healthy fare.

I remember 40 years ago, in the 1960's, our high school principal throwing out all the junk food vending machines and putting in a fresh apple vending machine. We laughed at his draconian measures, but we ate his apples. It was shortly after that time that school districts nationwide began adopting healthy-wise school lunch menues, emphasizing veggies/fruits, eschewing the fried & fatty foods.

Thanks for the memories and compliment, bkkjames!

Yea, let's follow the American school system lead on that one Scott. --bkkjames

I don't recall mentioning anything about the American school system. I fail to see your point.

Sorry I thought you were referring to a study from the West in your previous example. Lord knows how fit and trim western kids are.

The study was done in the West, but I don't recall if it was American or European.

I don't think it's a bad idea to limit the amount of unhealthy foods that kids have access to at school, but I don't think school is the primary problem and I don't think it's the primary solution.

School meals should be balanced. Whether or not they sell carbonated soft drinks isn't a big issue at the school, since kids have access to these at limited periods of time. The biggest problem is sitting at home in front of the television munching away.

The other problem I see is that it is invariably anything 'western' that is banned, while the Thai version of an excessively sweet drink is allowed. And sometimes it's a ban which makes no sense whatsoever. To give you an example, a local school banned any 'dark drink'. That meant no Coke or Pepsi, but Orange soda, sprite, 7-up were all OK! When quizzed on it, they said those drinks have caffeine--but students were allowed to buy Nescafe in a can which had milk and sugar! Go figure.

...but I don't think school is the primary problem and I don't think it's the primary solution.

Indeed.

Kids' eating habits are essentially fixed by the time they enter school.

As with most problems, it starts at home--every night observing Jabba the Parent consume bags of pork rinds or deep-fried bananas while watching the soap operas. The nut never falls far from the tree.

Edited by toptuan