Upgrading Iphone 2g To Fw3.0

Dissolution

Hi all,

I'm thinking of picking up a 3GS soon. I currently have a 2G on FW 1.1.4. Was figuring I'd upgrade to 3.0 in the meantime. However, when my phone was first unlocked, I had to use a turbo SIM and subsequently had to cut the SIM in order to fit it in.

After upgrading to 3.0, I'm assuming I won't be needing to use the turbo SIM any longer, since it can be software unlocked? Also, am I screwed because the current SIM is cut? What I really mean to ask, I guess, is will the phone function with the cut SIM under FW3.0, or will I have to go out and get a new one? I'm using DTAC, and I'm assuming they can clone the SIM if I went down to a DTAC outlet.

Thanks for any replies. :)

Yes you can upgrade to 3.1.2 using various methods - jailbreaking and unlocking any version of the 2G iPhone is easy and problem-free.

As for the Sim you'll just have to try and if it doesn't fit DTAC can replace it for you.

I did the upgrade from 2G -> 3GS but I am still not convinced that I didn't just throw 26,000 baht out the Window. I only had 4GB on my old iPhone so that is certainly an advantage (now 16). But all in all - there isn't very much difference between the phones. And battery life on the 2G was better for some reason.

Thanks, nikster. So there isn't much point to going from 2G to 3GS? I was thinking about getting it and True's unlimited wifi/3g package for the push services and such. Also, my 2G is starting to feel kinda laggy. It takes forever to load apps/webpages.

As for the HDD space, I can barely use up the 8GB, so I don't think going to 16GB will affect much... I'm also kinda torn between trading in my 2G, and keeping it, although I'm not sure there's much point in having two iPhones.

I guess it would be hard to go back, that's true.

The 3GS is a lot faster - there is no lag anywhere, ever. Which is cool.

Push services are kinda cool too but I find they are using so much battery it's hardly worth it. Expect to get a day out of the iPhone with push on. Also if you are in BKK then 3G sure would be nice. Maps are also much better... well OK so it's a number of small incremental improvements, with speed probably the most significant. Hence the name 3GS, S stands for speed.