3 Quick Questions

wilson steer

1. All of a sudden my speakers are playing the internet tune AFTER connection. It has never happened before and has come out of the blue. I have searched HELP and come up with a slider for modem volume but I didn't alter it because I think that is something else. Meanwhile I have checked mute in volume, but soon I will want to listen to radio...Help!

2. On XP home, it sometimes says, when I close all windows in a box...disconnect now? Yes or No? I never do. I want to stop this? Any advice?

3. Windows Messenger? Never used it but it is on my toolbar, I logged in with my email address, but nobody seems interested. Whats the idea? Is it just for webcam people? Is it any good? Am I missing out on something? Is it just for hotmail account holders?

Cheers.

W.S.

1. All of a sudden my speakers are playing the internet tune AFTER connection. It has never happened before and has come out of the blue. I have searched HELP and come up with a slider for modem volume but I didn't alter it because I think that is something else. Meanwhile I have checked mute in volume, but soon I will want to listen to radio...Help!

2. On XP home, it sometimes says, when I close all windows in a box...disconnect now? Yes or No? I never do. I want to stop this? Any advice?

3. Windows Messenger? Never used it but it is on my toolbar, I logged in with my email address, but nobody seems interested. Whats the idea? Is it just for webcam people? Is it any good? Am I missing out on something? Is it just for hotmail account holders?

Cheers.

W.S.

Umm.. I

1. I'm assuming by "Internet tune", you mean you're on dialup, and you're talking about the noise made by the modem.

Sorry - haven't used dialup in a while, but this should just be a setting under dialup networking, or possibly modems in the control panel somewhere... (Modem volume might work, but would mean you'd stop getting the noise of the handshaking when connecting, which can be useful).

2. This is simply when you've closed all the windows that are connected to the internet, it asks if you want to exit. If you're going straight on-line again, it's obviously a bad thing, but you might want to disconnect if you want to use the phone, or you're unlucky enough to be dialling a number that charges by the minute..

Again, you should find a way to disable this (if you really want to) under dial-up networking.

3. Windows Messenger is basically for people with "Passports" - which for most people is Hotmail addresses. Think of it like instant email, if the person you want to talk to is online, and signed in, you can type away to them, and they can type back instantly (or if you've got a microphone, you can talk, or if you've got webcams, you can videoconference, although, last time I tried Messenger's video-conferencing, it was a bit flaky).

1. I think you mean that you get a sound when you connect to the internet. If this is the case then go into control panel, click on sounds and scroll down until you see something marked connected. (On mine it says conexant adsl... Connected)Next to this you may see an icon which means that you will get a sound when you connect.By clicking on the icon a box below will display all options for different sounds. Scroll to the top and click on "None"

2. Next time the box appears click in the box saying "Do not show in future"

3. For more information on windows messenger look at:

http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/using/w...er/default.mspx

Hope this helps