Thai Airways' Excess Baggage Charge Costs More Than Seat

lannarebirth

He was taking the piss. The rules CLEARLY state that no single bag should weigh in excess of 32KG for employee health and safety reasons. He had 4 over that weight limit. Some 140kg all up!!! Probably only had a 20kg limit to start with.

Som nom nah!

Thai have always been OK for me not flinching an eye at 30 kg where my limit was 20 kg.

This isn't just a charge, for a few extra kilos of luggage in the hold, it's clearly for having exceeded the standard 32-kgs maximum, per-bag on all four bags.

Which limit exists for the work-safety of the baggage-handlers, trying to grapple with dangerously overweight bags, and is widely-known and publicised by many airlines, at check-in and on their standard terms & conditions.

Perhaps the passenger should have packed a fifth bag, with a few kgs out of each of the others, and thus dramatically-reduced his excess-charges ? One can feel sympathy, but to expect Thai-Airways staff to show initiative rather than follow clearly-laid-down instructions, might be asking too much of them. TiT. :)

Not like AirAsia (no slack at all) or the other discounters.

From Taiwan to Bangkok there are 2 cheap options. KLM and since last month, Air Asia.

I decided to give Air Asia a try because it was about 1,000 baht cheaper.

After the extra charges for my luggage (200 baht per kg!), buying a meal and paying to sit near a window - the ticket ended up costing more than the KLM one!

Plus the planes are awful. I have never sat in a more uncomfortable seat during any flight. KLM isn't 5 star by any stretch of the imagination, but you get a much better seat, they are good re: luggage being a bit overweight, and they give you a meal and snacks.

I have two comments :

1. As far as employee safety, do you think they were in danger just because the bags were 2 or 3 kg. over. The Airline charged $2,200 extra and those same employees still handled his bags ------- just another "TIT" justified "Rip-off" As far as employee safety, it is commonplace for bags to be carried up to 90 pounds (about 40+ kilo) and there is a reasonable fee for them.......

2. In 2008 summer I flew the Non-stop LAX/BKK in Business Class. When I arrived in BKK my bags did not. Two days later they were delivered to me in Pattaya and one bag had been PILFERED and about $400 worth of items were missing including Perfumes and computer flash-drives etc....... Thai claimed that they are only responsible by law for $20 per kilo (about $8 per pound).. and out of the goodness of their heart they offered me $100 as a courtesy (more likely because I flew Business Class and was a Star Alliance Gold frequent flier, without that I probably would get nothing)......

Now you hear about the gangs working at the airport who steal things from baggage and their feeble attempts to curtail their actions, but no way will they pay for your losses while your bag is under their control.

I have flown them a few times too, when all went well, but if you fly them and have a problem -- then you may as well be on AIRASIA at a cheaper fare..

Enough said................

Edited by sawadeeken

I have always found Thai very good on excess baggage, and never a problem. This jerk was taking things way beyond the limit, no sympathy what so ever :)

Even if the "Jerk" was 2 or 3 Kilo over --- who keeps a scale with them???? Why didn't Thai offer to let him remove a bit from each bag and make it easy or work with him to a satisfactory conclusion........... Anyway you slice it, he was "ripped off" HOW CAN YOU (OR ANYBODY) CONDONE A $2,200 "RIP-OFF"?????????? $100 or $200 Maybe, but $2200............ Come-on now, You aren't thinking.................

Edited by sawadeeken

I would agree that the guy was either taking the p1ss or just trying to pull a fast one.

Depending on what class he was flying, he was between 24kg - 44kg over for each person, as well as having 4 bags that were over the maximum permitted weight of 32kg.

Assuming he was travelling business class with an allowance of 30kg he was at least 34kg over. 68kg for 2 pax = $32 USD per kg over.

Having had a quick look at some other airlines excess baggage charges, it would seem he got off pretty lightly.

I'd put my money on him flying economy, which means he got off even lighter.

I'd like to see what he would have been charged on a budget airline.

I would agree that the guy was either taking the p1ss or just trying to pull a fast one.

Depending on what class he was flying, he was between 24kg - 44kg over for each person, as well as having 4 bags that were over the maximum permitted weight of 32kg.

Assuming he was travelling business class with an allowance of 30kg he was at least 34kg over. 68kg for 2 pax = $32 USD per kg over.

Having had a quick look at some other airlines excess baggage charges, it would seem he got off pretty lightly.

I'd put my money on him flying economy, which means he got off even lighter.

I'd like to see what he would have been charged on a budget airline.

I calculate it differently - on the assumption they were flying economy class, and not high level f/f card holders.

From Thailand to Panama the allowance is 20kg per pax.

4 bags @ 34kg each = 136 kg, or 96kg overweight. And the excess charge is about $23/kg.

I reckon Mr denner got it right :)

I do not see very well where the problem is of this couple.

First of all, the limit of 30 Kg per bag (I do not know where the 32 Kg comes from, perhaps a variable...?) has been negotiated by the unions in the various countries in the world so that baggage handlers will not hurt themselves picking up bags. Anyone laughing at this, I give you just 2 days of handling bags (at 30kg each) in any airport, you will be broken. Sure there are belts moving the lugagge, but somewhere there is human interference, perhaps not in the airport of departure, but maybe in the arrival.

I recently moved from Moscow to Bangkok, and had of course too much luggage with me (apart from my cat which also cost me a small fortune). My excess luggage (on Thai) amounted to 25 Euro per kg. Official rate? I am not sure, but I have paid similar in other European countries and on other airlines. And I fly business as well (Moscow-BKK is 8.5 hours flying only...). If they figured the additional luggage cost can fly then from NY to China and back twice, it is obvious this was economy class, so do the math.

4 bags, each over 2 to 3 kg over 32kg, which is 34kg times 4 = 136 kg, with an allowance of 4x20kg which means 56 kg over. Give an allowance of 2 kg per bag, this will still leave 48 kg over. 25 Euro x 48 kg = 1.200 Euro @ 50 = 60.000 Baht.

I suspect that they were buying things in Thailand to sell in Panama and wanted to save the transport/customs duties...

Whiners...

Hard to get up much sympathy for this one. Thai has always been easy and good about bags ... up to some point. Not like AirAsia (no slack at all) or the other discounters.

true and agree. Thai has always been generous and good to me concerning reasonable limits on bags. AIRASIA now charges for everything (nickle and dime you to death) for any services.

^^^^ I do, it cost less than $10 from the fishing accessories dept or luggage dept of any large store! :D

kt689_lg.jpg

Yes, 60,000bt charge is over the top.

Being a man of practicality I new you would of had a set of them in ur back pocket. I don't need the scales Ive got a good estimate thing happening, the other day on a Singapore flight we had two bags to be checked in, one weighed exactly 20kg and the other 19.8 & I did that with my eye :)

What I reakon is over the top is this man having so much dam_n luggage, crazy.

^^^^ I do, it cost less than $10 from the fishing accessories dept or luggage dept of any large store! :D

kt689_lg.jpg

Yes, 60,000bt charge is over the top.

Being a man of practicality I new you would of had a set of them in ur back pocket. I don't need the scales Ive got a good estimate thing happening, the other day on a Singapore flight we had two bags to be checked in, one weighed exactly 20kg and the other 19.8 & I did that with my eye :)

What I reakon is over the top is this man having so much dam_n luggage, crazy.

Dangerous item to keep in a back pocket.

First of all, the limit of 30 Kg per bag (I do not know where the 32 Kg comes from, perhaps a variable...?) has been negotiated by the unions in the various countries in the world so that baggage handlers will not hurt themselves picking up bags.

Yes, I am pretty sure it's a variable.

Thai has a weight limit of 30kg per piece, whilst other airlines differ. British Airways, for instance, has a weight limit of 32kg per piece with items heavier having to go freight, I am pretty sure this applies to all UK carriers, as I recall the belts at check-in at UK airports are calibrated to cut out over 32kg.

Of course you are still subject to the weight restriction of your ticket and frequent flyer status.

Edited by theoldgit

Why didn't the muppet just ditch some of his stuff?

He must have been carrying items worth considerably less than $2,200.

I checked in at Manchester Airport 2 weeks ago to return to Bangkok via Dubai (with Emirates). I was 9k over. After ditching some luxury items (chocolate bars for the kids, magazines, books, old pair of jeans I ended up paying an extra £70 which I wasn't happy about but at £35 per kilo I was looking at £300.

What I object to with excess baggage is that it makes no allowance for lard <deleted>. I get on the plane weighing about 75 kilos with my 35 kilo allowance = 110 kilo. Joe Lard Arse gets one the plane 200+ kilo with his/her 35 kilo bags = 235 kilos.

Where's the justice?

I checked in at Manchester Airport 2 weeks ago to return to Bangkok via Dubai (with Emirates). I was 9k over. After ditching some luxury items (chocolate bars for the kids, magazines, books, old pair of jeans I ended up paying an extra £70 which I wasn't happy about but at £35 per kilo I was looking at £300.

What I object to with excess baggage is that it makes no allowance for lard <deleted>. I get on the plane weighing about 75 kilos with my 35 kilo allowance = 110 kilo. Joe Lard Arse gets one the plane 200+ kilo with his/her 35 kilo bags = 235 kilos.

Where's the justice?

Well slim, as you can see from my avatar, I weigh 50kg.

Where's the justice in me having to pay the same as a 75kg lard arse? :)

Where's the justice?

Well slim, as you can see from my avatar, I weigh 50kg.

Where's the justice in me having to pay the same as a 75kg lard arse? :)

You need to eat more...................and we're talking about EXCESS baggage charges not standard air fares

It looks like the overweight was something like 70KG. They had both 32kg limit per bag. Business Class allows for 32 kg. So that makes sense.

70 kg overweight.

The one time charge is 2000 Baht, plus 200 baht per kilo. What actually means that he should have been charged 16,000 THB and not 66,000 THB, Thai said that he was charged three times the regular amount because the bags were oversized and overweight. We may assume therefore that the bags were not 3 kilo over the 32Kg weight but probably 10 kilo.

So the Thai Airways calculation makes sense, unless the bags were not oversized and he would get 50K back from TG.

By the way, Australian airlines charge 40 Australian dollars per kilo, so it is quite cheap what TG is charging, not to mention Air Asia which will rip you off too. It is of course normal that he could have bought a seat, If he would have sent the bags unattended by EMS, DHL or whatever company, he would have paid even more.

It looks like the overweight was something like 70KG. They had both 32kg limit per bag. Business Class allows for 32 kg. So that makes sense.

70 kg overweight.

The one time charge is 2000 Baht, plus 200 baht per kilo. What actually means that he should have been charged 16,000 THB and not 66,000 THB, Thai said that he was charged three times the regular amount because the bags were oversized and overweight. We may assume therefore that the bags were not 3 kilo over the 32Kg weight but probably 10 kilo.

So the Thai Airways calculation makes sense, unless the bags were not oversized and he would get 50K back from TG.

Some of you have not got your math right. The man was travelling with his wife in Royal Silk class allowing them 2 checked luggage cases each, max 32kg ea. They say they were overweight by 2-3 kilo each. Say average 2,5, that makes the overweight 4 times 2,5, 10kg or 5 kg/pp. Not excessive. And figuring a one time charge of 2000bht plus 200bht/kg you get 4000bht. Not 16000bht and not 66000bht.

And no reason to call him a jerk or other names.

Some of you have not got your math right. The man was travelling with his wife in Royal Silk class allowing them 2 checked luggage cases each, max 32kg ea. They say they were overweight by 2-3 kilo each. Say average 2,5, that makes the overweight 4 times 2,5, 10kg or 5 kg/pp. Not excessive. And figuring a one time charge of 2000bht plus 200bht/kg you get 4000bht. Not 16000bht and not 66000bht.

The calculations may well be wrong if they were flying business class. Unfortunately, I am unable to find any reference that this was the case, and it certainly doesn't appear in the link provided in the OP.

Perhaps you can provide a link.

Where in the article does it mention that they were flying Royal Silk Class?

Baggage allowance is 2 bags with a total weight of 32kg per person. Neither bag must weigh over 32kg.

I suggest that the OP reads the small print. I have no idea of what the charges are now but the standard IATA charge for being overweight used to be 1% of the First Class fare per kilo. If as a previous poster has calculated the total overweight was 96 kilos it might have been sensible to travel 1st class to get an increased baggage allowance - or not. I'm not motivated enough to do the calculation. :)

I suggest that the OP reads the small print. I have no idea of what the charges are now but the standard IATA charge for being overweight used to be 1% of the First Class fare per kilo. If as a previous poster has calculated the total overweight was 96 kilos it might have been sensible to travel 1st class to get an increased baggage allowance - or not. I'm not motivated enough to do the calculation. :)

The calculations may well be wrong if they were flying business class. Unfortunately, I am unable to find any reference that this was the case, and it certainly doesn't appear in the link provided in the OP.

Perhaps you can provide a link.

"The Complaint: Bob Wolfe and his wife were flying from Bangkok's Suvarnabhumi Airport to Panama. At the counter, Wolfe was told that his four bags were each about 2 kg or 3 kg over the 32 kg limit, and that he'd have to pay a penalty."

Economy class allows one case max 20kg, Royal Silk and first, two bags each max 32kg. As stated if you read the article, it says that he was over his 32kg limit. So they were flying Silk or first class. Now you understand?

I do not see very well where the problem is of this couple.

First of all, the limit of 30 Kg per bag (I do not know where the 32 Kg comes from, perhaps a variable...?) has been negotiated by the unions in the various countries in the world so that baggage handlers will not hurt themselves picking up bags. Anyone laughing at this, I give you just 2 days of handling bags (at 30kg each) in any airport, you will be broken. Sure there are belts moving the lugagge, but somewhere there is human interference, perhaps not in the airport of departure, but maybe in the arrival.

I recently moved from Moscow to Bangkok, and had of course too much luggage with me (apart from my cat which also cost me a small fortune). My excess luggage (on Thai) amounted to 25 Euro per kg. Official rate? I am not sure, but I have paid similar in other European countries and on other airlines. And I fly business as well (Moscow-BKK is 8.5 hours flying only...). If they figured the additional luggage cost can fly then from NY to China and back twice, it is obvious this was economy class, so do the math.

4 bags, each over 2 to 3 kg over 32kg, which is 34kg times 4 = 136 kg, with an allowance of 4x20kg which means 56 kg over. Give an allowance of 2 kg per bag, this will still leave 48 kg over. 25 Euro x 48 kg = 1.200 Euro @ 50 = 60.000 Baht.

I suspect that they were buying things in Thailand to sell in Panama and wanted to save the transport/customs duties...

Whiners...

On China Airlines you get an allowance of 40 kg when you are a gold member and fly Dynasty class and the big Samsonite suitcases are suited to hold 40 kg.

However, in the Airport of Amsterdam I had to buy an extra suitcase because my luggage exceeded 32 kg.

I think that excess kilos are charged at 1 % of the price of a one-way first class ticket.