Thai Airways' Excess Baggage Charge Costs More Than Seat

lannarebirth

Some of you have not got your math right. The man was travelling with his wife in Royal Silk class allowing them 2 checked luggage cases each, max 32kg ea. They say they were overweight by 2-3 kilo each. Say average 2,5, that makes the overweight 4 times 2,5, 10kg or 5 kg/pp. Not excessive. And figuring a one time charge of 2000bht plus 200bht/kg you get 4000bht. Not 16000bht and not 66000bht.

And no reason to call him a jerk or other names.

The calculations may well be wrong if they were flying business class. Unfortunately, I am unable to find any reference that this was the case, and it certainly doesn't appear in the link provided in the OP.

Perhaps you can provide a link.

Furthermore one is allowed to take as many bags as one likes as long as it is not over the maximum weight allowed (I am talking about Royal Silk business class)

There is a 10% error margin on each scale and the rate applied is outrageaus or I am missing something as I have never had this kind of problems with thai Airways who has an excellent service at the counter and on board (not talking about the price of the flight though)

Some of you have not got your math right. The man was travelling with his wife in Royal Silk class allowing them 2 checked luggage cases each, max 32kg ea. They say they were overweight by 2-3 kilo each. Say average 2,5, that makes the overweight 4 times 2,5, 10kg or 5 kg/pp. Not excessive. And figuring a one time charge of 2000bht plus 200bht/kg you get 4000bht. Not 16000bht and not 66000bht.

And no reason to call him a jerk or other names.

The calculations may well be wrong if they were flying business class. Unfortunately, I am unable to find any reference that this was the case, and it certainly doesn't appear in the link provided in the OP.

Perhaps you can provide a link.

"The Complaint: Bob Wolfe and his wife were flying from Bangkok's Suvarnabhumi Airport to Panama. At the counter, Wolfe was told that his four bags were each about 2 kg or 3 kg over the 32 kg limit, and that he'd have to pay a penalty."

Economy class allows one case max 20kg, Royal Silk and first, two bags each max 32kg. As stated if you read the article, it says that he was over his 32kg limit. So they were flying Silk or first class. Now you understand?

Yes, I understand the difference between the baggage allowance (for whatever class), and the maximum weight for any bag in any class. Do you? :)

Perhaps if you look at the Thai Airways explanation, it may help. BTW, the Wolfe's were flying to Panama.

How much luggage am I allowed to check?

A :

The luggage allowance for Royal First Class is 40 kgs.(88 lbs.); for Royal Silk Class : 30 kg.(66 lbs.); and for Premium Economy and Economy Class passengers : 20 kgs.(44lbs.).

Royal Orchid Plus Gold Card Members are entitled to check an additional 20 kgs.(44 lbs.).

Royal Orchid Plus Silver Card Members can check an additional 10 kgs.(22 lbs.) of luggage.

Infant (not occupying seat) are allowed 10 kgs.(22 lbs.) excluding one fully-collapsible child stroller, pushchair, or infant carrying basket.

For travel to/ from Canada and the U.S.A., the following regulations apply two pieces of check baggage. The sum of the three dimensions (length+height+width) for each piece cannot exceed 158 m.(62 inches). The maximum weight per piece is 32 kgs.(70 lbs.) for Royal First and Royal Silk Class and 23 kgs.(50 lbs.) per piece for Economy Premium and Economy Class.

A child(2-12 years) occupying a seat is entitled to the same free luggage as an adult passengers.

An infant (not occupying seat) is entitled to one piece of checked luggage, the sum of whose three dimensions does not exceed 115 cm.(45 inches) at maximum weight of 23 gs. Plus one fully-collapsible child stroller or pushchair or infant-carrying basket.

Note : Frequent Flyer Gold Members are permitted to 1 extra piece in any class of services.

http://www.thaiair.com/faqs/en/before-you-fly-faqs.htm#faq7

Yes, I understand the difference between the baggage allowance (for whatever class), and the maximum weight for any bag in any class. Do you? :)

Perhaps if you look at the Thai Airways explanation, it may help. BTW, the Wolfe's were flying to Panama.

How much luggage am I allowed to check?

A :

The luggage allowance for Royal First Class is 40 kgs.(88 lbs.); for Royal Silk Class : 30 kg.(66 lbs.); and for Premium Economy and Economy Class passengers : 20 kgs.(44lbs.).

Royal Orchid Plus Gold Card Members are entitled to check an additional 20 kgs.(44 lbs.).

Royal Orchid Plus Silver Card Members can check an additional 10 kgs.(22 lbs.) of luggage.

Infant (not occupying seat) are allowed 10 kgs.(22 lbs.) excluding one fully-collapsible child stroller, pushchair, or infant carrying basket.

For travel to/ from Canada and the U.S.A., the following regulations apply two pieces of check baggage. The sum of the three dimensions (length+height+width) for each piece cannot exceed 158 m.(62 inches). The maximum weight per piece is 32 kgs.(70 lbs.) for Royal First and Royal Silk Class and 23 kgs.(50 lbs.) per piece for Economy Premium and Economy Class.

A child(2-12 years) occupying a seat is entitled to the same free luggage as an adult passengers.

An infant (not occupying seat) is entitled to one piece of checked luggage, the sum of whose three dimensions does not exceed 115 cm.(45 inches) at maximum weight of 23 gs. Plus one fully-collapsible child stroller or pushchair or infant-carrying basket.

Note : Frequent Flyer Gold Members are permitted to 1 extra piece in any class of services.

http://www.thaiair.com/faqs/en/before-you-fly-faqs.htm#faq7

Yes, I understand the difference between the baggage allowance (for whatever class), and the maximum weight for any bag in any class. Do you? :D

If you understand the difference, why did you ask again? And it seems Thai does not fly to Panama directly. You can fly to the US and take a flight from there. Hence their weight limit of 32kg for each case.