This Is A Cracker !

gondarman

Could not resist telling you this true story which happened few days ago :D:D

A German friend of ours, who lives with his Thai wife in Germany often sends us messages or scanned documents by email to pass on to the inlaws. Great service the MIL must have thought when she came to our house the other day to ask if my wife could send an email back to her daughter in Germany. So far so good!!!!

In a plastic bag she brought 2 papaya. My wife said she would send the email and thanked her for the papaya she brought for rendered services.

Wrong, wrong, wrong!!!!

MIL said her daughter loves to eat papaya and wanted to send the 2 papaya along with the email, so they would be there fast enough to eat som tam in the evening :D:D:D:):D:D

I once sent a fax when a Thai friend was in the house. After the machine had finished transmitting, he looked at me, obviously very puzzled.

"But it's still there", he said.

I took the same friend to a hotel buffet lunch on another occasion. The same puzzled look (obviously a thinking man!), and after a few minutes,

"How do they work out how much to charge you?"

One of my Thai neighbours relayed a story to me where he brought his uncle to town from out in the sticks and went to an ATM to withdraw some cash. After looking on with some wonderment the uncle asked if he could have 40k baht to buy a new motorcycle. He was under the impression that you could just simply take any amount of money you so desired from an ATM.

So mines a Murcielago LP640 for weekends, an S65 for the school run and a Sunseeker Predator 130 for the klong please.

It goes both ways. About 30 years ago I had a friend in the US that was admiring an older decorative wall clock that I'd forgotten to wind. She noticed it wasn't running and concluded it was fake because there was no place to put in batteries and no cord to plug it in.

Edited by fremmel

You want a really big laugh? Put the likes of me on a rice farm or anywhere near a Cobra and watch me try to eke out a living and survive.

You are right Jingthing, apart of having a good laugh about eachother we can learn alot from the Isarn people too, especially when it comes to survival. They have done it for hundreds of years in this harsh environment. When we take the time to talk and listen to the older people in the villages a world opens of which we never knew it existed.

my kids got lots of ribbing by husband by not knowing how to start a fire without matches (rub sticks to gether like his father does, everytime, no problem).

how many of u can milk a cow? how many of u can move a hen off her eggs when she's huffing at u? how many can make decent rice over an open fire like MIL does? the list is endless. but dont worry. most of us have kids that look at us with sorrow and pity when we need help doing something that is too technological; cell phones are a good example-- most of the elder kibbutzniks here, while they can drive a tractor, and use chewing gum ot hold various wires together, are not able to do more then answer the cell phone. anything else beyond that is too complex. some of us are technically challenged, and still living in the boondocks.

although we both (hubby and i) had a laugh thinking of MIL chewing mak while on 13 hour trip by air to visit; or deciding she's had enough and wants to get off NOW... she wont even come to bangkok.

bina

That story is funny! I needed that. Some of you are right, though, in how the Issan folk can survive with what they have (which is not much). My FIL will make it a point to wake up well before my wife so that he can start the fire to cook rice. You see, my wife uses the modern way of using a gas stove. Pa says the rice doesn't taste right when she cooks it like that and that it should be prepared by wood fire. Prior to '06 my in-laws, like many others, depended on rainfall for house water. After I dug them a well and had the house piped, I got a lot of brownie points on that :) My wifes grandmother will be 101 on New Years and still works everyday. So yeah, its funny when they do things like the e-mail, but its more amazing at the will of these people.