7 Killed, 6 Injured When Train Hits Pick-up In Si Sa Ket

webfact

7 killed, 6 injured when train hits pick-up in Si Sa Ket

Si Sa Ket - A pick-up truck loaded with passengers was rammed into by speeding train, killing seven people and severely injuring six others.

Police said the accident happened at 2 pm at a train crossing in Muang district.

Six passengers of the pick-up died at the scene and another died at a hospital.

Police said the train dragged the truck by about 700 metres before it stopped.

The train was leaving Ubon Ratchathani for Bangkok.

Witnesses said the truck did not slow down at the train crossing so it was hit in the middle. The truck was heading to a local temple to make merit.

nationlogo.jpg

-- The Nation 2009/11/26

[newsfooter][/newsfooter]

2nd one today ...

Does anybody know why it didn't slow down when approaching the level crossing?

Presumably the red lights, if there were any, weren't flashing, and the barrier, if there was one, wasn't coming down. Then again perhaps the train shouldn't have been there, you know, on the rails like that and it wouldn't have happened.

Luckily the pick up wasn't over crowded with only 13 travelling in it and so few, what half a baker's dozen, died and the rest have injuries to remember it by. Doesn't say what kind of injuries they suffered. Maybe just a bit of bruising, stiff neck that sort of thing.

Still, they'll have something else to make merit about next time, won't they? Mai pen rai.

I don't quite catch the logic applied to: 'the truck did not slow down at the train crossing so it was hit in the middle.' Slowing down, or speeding up, or maintaining a speed has nothing to do with where it was hit. It was hit because it presumably was being driven recklessly. Unless of course if it had gone that bit faster it would have been hit in the front and then maybe they all would have died.

Does that make it better?

I can only imagine it was one of the crossings on the edge of the city as the 4 main crossings are manned with barriers. I feel sorry for the families involved.

Every picture theatre has the commercial about trying to beat the train...and dying! The driver obviously hadn't been to the movies lately?

RIP the poor families involved.

What's needed is a national advertising campaign. It has worked successfully elsewhere. If you look at buses and trucks in a lot of countries, there is a big sign that says, this vehicle stops at railway crossings, with drivers being told to stop. I would guess, such an approach is non-existant here. This event is not an accident since it is completely avoidable and is caused by the vehicle driver.

Vehicles - the number one cause of death by "accident" in Thailand and the one where just a slight change in behaviour has a positive impact.

2nd one today ...

Does anybody know why it didn't slow down when approaching the level crossing?

Presumably the red lights, if there were any, weren't flashing, and the barrier, if there was one, wasn't coming down. Then again perhaps the train shouldn't have been there, you know, on the rails like that and it wouldn't have happened.

Luckily the pick up wasn't over crowded with only 13 travelling in it and so few, what half a baker's dozen, died and the rest have injuries to remember it by. Doesn't say what kind of injuries they suffered. Maybe just a bit of bruising, stiff neck that sort of thing.

Still, they'll have something else to make merit about next time, won't they? Mai pen rai.

I don't quite catch the logic applied to: 'the truck did not slow down at the train crossing so it was hit in the middle.' Slowing down, or speeding up, or maintaining a speed has nothing to do with where it was hit. It was hit because it presumably was being driven recklessly. Unless of course if it had gone that bit faster it would have been hit in the front and then maybe they all would have died.

Ha Ha Ha your so funny NOT!! :)

2nd one today ...

Condolences to all family and friends of this tragic accident.

It has been many years since I did any physics but if the pickup "had gone that bit faster" it would have been hit in the rear, not front. And if it had been going a little bit faster still it may have avoided being hit at altogether.

Condolences to the family. We must also feel sorry for the train driver it will take a terrible toll on him.

At last someone mentions the poor guy driving the train weighing thousands of tons that hits a tin can pickup loaded up with a dozen warm human bodies.

My sincere condolences to all the families who have lost loved ones in this once again "avoidable" tragedy and particularly to the engineer who had to watch this event and will no doubt have to take time off work to recover..

Trains are bigger than cars so use common sense when crossing railroad tracks anywhere. These accidents happen all over the world, not just Thailand.

The truck was hit in the middle, right? At what speed do Thai trains travel at? Seems to me that the train would have been in clear sight of anybody using the crossing. If that is the case this was not a accident unless the truck had stalled on the crossing.

If this was a crossing bereft of gates or warning lights why didn't the train driver sound a warning as a matter of routine? Being in an elevated position did the driver not see the truck approaching the crossing? I can guess where blame will be laid and that no compensation will be paid. Dead men tell no tales.

In the UK train drivers on an unfamiliar route are accompanied provided by a driver who does know it well. Drivers are tested on their knowledge of particular routes and 'signed off' (read licenced) before being unaccompanied. Maybe this isn't the case here.

Edited by Bagwan

The truck was hit in the middle, right? At what speed do Thai trains travel at? Seems to me that the train would have been in clear sight of anybody using the crossing. If that is the case this was not a accident unless the truck had stalled on the crossing.

It seems to me that the driver of the pickup caused the accident by being a moron. At 2pm in the afternoon when visibility is high if you slow down and look in both directions I doubt this would have happened.

It seems to me that the driver of the pickup caused the accident by being a moron. At 2pm in the afternoon when visibility is high if you slow down and look in both directions I doubt this would have happened.

Sadly true

Tragically (and I'm not saying it happened in this case but it's certainly a possibility) a fair few number of accidents here are caused by local drivers being completely oblivious to anything around them whatsoever. It is quite disturbing the complete lack of awareness exhibited by a large number of Thai drivers. I (and I'm sure I speak for just about all fellow members) always slow down to a near complete stop at level crossings ( irrespective of whether the lights are not flashing or the barrier isn't down) to check for trains unless the visibility in both directions is completely clear for as far as the eye can see.

We have a local trai service in place about 3 years now. It took about 10 or 12 car and train accidents over 2 years before they put barriers on every crossing.

It is unbelieveable that people donot see a train but that happened in several of the wrecks that there were survivors. people just donot look or they are distracted, cell phones, smoking, and chatting.

....by a speeding train.....?

Can someone please tell me, in Thailand, where one can find a speeding train? It certainly couldn't have been any passenger train I've been on in 7 years here in LOS!

Sure, a slow train can also do terrible damage to anything in its way, too. But does the Nation have to try to add to the drama?

Let's keep speculation within the bounds of respect for the deceased. Unless/until we know what happened, there may have been other contributing factors. I've found myself sitting helplessly on the tracks because the cars in front of me had stopped suddenly. So there I sat. Let's also remember that trains can't stop quickly and certainly not quickly enough to prevent an accident. Train accidents aren't unique to Thailand and Thai drivers aren't the only ones who fail to pay attention.

Thanks.

Let's keep speculation within the bounds of respect for the deceased. Unless/until we know what happened, there may have been other contributing factors. I've found myself sitting helplessly on the tracks because the cars in front of me had stopped suddenly. So there I sat. Let's also remember that trains can't stop quickly and certainly not quickly enough to prevent an accident. Train accidents aren't unique to Thailand and Thai drivers aren't the only ones who fail to pay attention.

Thanks.

Very well said Scott. It never ceases to amaze me how people come to all these conclusions when they have very limited set of facts. I guess we must have many experienced accident investigators here on thai visa :)

Australia use to be the "hub" of lever crossing accidents, but after a very successful advertising campaign, the numbers halved. Sadly I don't think similar driver education will have any effect here. A very sad day for the hundreds of extended family members of all the deceased. RIP.

^You know you get that in many countries MM. Australia is so vast and theres no way you could turn all its level railway crossings into overpasses etc, likewise thailand simply cant afford that.

The other day there was a rukkas on the roadway & I was trying to negotiate my way through it and through all the lack of organsiation going on, i eventually ended up on a level crossing at that location & whilst I was busy tyring to avoid motorcycles, old ladies, dogs, carts with noodles and the dancing elephant at the location, I must admit I failed to take all due care in relation to the railway tracks.