7 Killed, 6 Injured When Train Hits Pick-up In Si Sa Ket

webfact

Usual response from TV that all Thai drivers are idiots.

I regularly drive over the crossing on that line, half way between Ubon and Si Saket where a freeway slows down to a two lane road to go over the railtracks. I am always struck that Thais give it the respect it deserves.

Urban crossings are far more dangerous - too much traffic queuing to get over, urban impatience, too many distractions. Was this crossing in the Si Saket city limits?

Let's keep speculation within the bounds of respect for the deceased. Unless/until we know what happened, there may have been other contributing factors. I've found myself sitting helplessly on the tracks because the cars in front of me had stopped suddenly. So there I sat. Let's also remember that trains can't stop quickly and certainly not quickly enough to prevent an accident. Train accidents aren't unique to Thailand and Thai drivers aren't the only ones who fail to pay attention.

Thanks.

Very well said Scott. It never ceases to amaze me how people come to all these conclusions when they have very limited set of facts. I guess we must have many experienced accident investigators here on thai visa :)

I quote "witnesses say the truck did not slow down for the crossing". It is not rocket science to determine who was at fault.

I am puzzled why, according to the police report, the train, now pushing a truck before it, did not stop for 700 metres (760 yards). That doesn't say much for the breaking efficiency of this train.

Let's keep speculation within the bounds of respect for the deceased. Unless/until we know what happened, there may have been other contributing factors. I've found myself sitting helplessly on the tracks because the cars in front of me had stopped suddenly. So there I sat. Let's also remember that trains can't stop quickly and certainly not quickly enough to prevent an accident. Train accidents aren't unique to Thailand and Thai drivers aren't the only ones who fail to pay attention.

Thanks.

Very well said Scott. It never ceases to amaze me how people come to all these conclusions when they have very limited set of facts. I guess we must have many experienced accident investigators here on thai visa :)

I quote "witnesses say the truck did not slow down for the crossing". It is not rocket science to determine who was at fault.

I am puzzled why, according to the police report, the train, now pushing a truck before it, did not stop for 700 metres (760 yards). That doesn't say much for the breaking efficiency of this train.

Again Bagwan, irregardless of the alleged reports that "the truck did not slow down for the crossing" one would need to examine a number of things before it could simply be determined that the driver simply failed to act. For example: Perhaps he had a heart attack, perhaps a passenger interferred with the controls in the vehicle, perhaps the vehicles brakes failed and so on.

As for train braking efficiency, depending on the size and speed of the train prior to the collision, 700 metres may be a perfectly reasonable stopping distance, in case you didnt realise trains take alot further to stop that motor vehicles, steel wheels, steel tracks, just because the distance is great doenst necessarily mean that the trains brakes were inefficient.

As I said before, with such limited set of facts before us (eg: one newspaper clipping) its not possible to say with any great accuracy that this occurred due to any one reason. Typically though, here on the forum, why let the facts get in the way of a good story.

Hopefully all the injured make speedy recoveries.

Thanks.

Again Bagwan, irregardless of the alleged reports that "the truck did not slow down for the crossing" one would need to examine a number of things before it could simply be determined that the driver simply failed to act. For example: Perhaps he had a heart attack, perhaps a passenger interferred with the controls in the vehicle, perhaps the vehicles brakes failed and so on.

As for train braking efficiency, depending on the size and speed of the train prior to the collision, 700 metres may be a perfectly reasonable stopping distance, in case you didnt realise trains take alot further to stop that motor vehicles, steel wheels, steel tracks, just because the distance is great doenst necessarily mean that the trains brakes were inefficient.

As I said before, with such limited set of facts before us (eg: one newspaper clipping) its not possible to say with any great accuracy that this occurred due to any one reason. Typically though, here on the forum, why let the facts get in the way of a good story.

Hopefully all the injured make speedy recoveries.

You are reaching a bit are you not? If a heart attack there is no prior warning? No chest pains first? A passenger interfered with the controls? You mean that they could reach the gas pedal? The brakes failed? Possibly, but whose fault is that? Surely it is not in dispute that the train driver is not at fault.

Given that Thai trains are not renowned for their speed of advance (given the state of the tracks and the narrowness of the gauge amongst other factors), the following maybe of of interest - or even education.

French National Railroad holds the world's speed record for passenger trains in regular service. A TGV (tres grand vitesse, or very great speed) train traveling at a speed of 349 km/h requires 1.14 km to come to an emergency stop. Consider the speed of an Underground train in London as it enters a station. They manage to stop in their own length at a comfortable rate of deceleration, for the passengers that is. How soon could they stop under full emergency braking - without pushing a truck in front of them?

Don't compare a short underground train to a full passenger train with possibly attached cargo-carts. In my home-country the trains up north, far from the main big cities, both haul passengers and timber and have a high number of carriages attached. Their combined weight far-far exceeds anything any MRT-train will accumulate.

2nd one today ...

Does anybody know why it didn't slow down when approaching the level crossing?

Presumably the red lights, if there were any, weren't flashing, and the barrier, if there was one, wasn't coming down. Then again perhaps the train shouldn't have been there, you know, on the rails like that and it wouldn't have happened.

Luckily the pick up wasn't over crowded with only 13 travelling in it and so few, what half a baker's dozen, died and the rest have injuries to remember it by. Doesn't say what kind of injuries they suffered. Maybe just a bit of bruising, stiff neck that sort of thing.

Still, they'll have something else to make merit about next time, won't they? Mai pen rai.

I don't quite catch the logic applied to: 'the truck did not slow down at the train crossing so it was hit in the middle.' Slowing down, or speeding up, or maintaining a speed has nothing to do with where it was hit. It was hit because it presumably was being driven recklessly. Unless of course if it had gone that bit faster it would have been hit in the front and then maybe they all would have died.

Does that make it better?

:) ...what have you been drinking, order me one... :D

2nd one today ...

Doesn't say what kind of injuries they suffered. Maybe just a bit of bruising, stiff neck that sort of thing.

They were hit by a train not a push bike!!

I live in Sisaket and I taught English at a local high school when that particular accident happened. There were so many dead people and so many were injured like HIT BY A TRAIN. ( For your understanding: What would you look like, if you'd stay on the train ways???

Where did you learn what it means to have an accident riding a Pickup Truck, standing in the middle of the train ways..when the train hits you heading pretty fast..just iron hidding a thin skinned Pick Up truck in the middle?? And the last news I've just heard from my wife was that another person passed away. RIP.

They were on their way to a merit. Let them rest in peace and let's hope that those who're suffering will recover well. I'm with all of them, if there's anything I could do, please mail me: [email protected]

Doesn't say what kind of injuries they suffered. Maybe just a bit of bruising, stiff neck that sort of thing.

I live in Sisaket and I taught English at a local high school when that particular accident happened. There were so many dead people and so many were injured like HIT BY A TRAIN. ( For your understanding: What would you look like, if you'd stay on the train ways???

Where did you learn what it means to have an accident riding a Pickup Truck, standing in the middle of the train ways..when the train hits you heading pretty fast..just iron hidding a thin skinned Pick Up truck in the middle?? And the last news I've just heard from my wife was that another person passed away. RIP.

They were on their way to a merit. Let them rest in peace and let's hope that those who're suffering will recover well. I'm with all of them, if there's anything I could do, please mail me: [email protected]

:) sorry.

An English teacher. :D I would have hoped you could read and write english to do that job, then maybe after you would begin to understand the english humour and when it is being used, as in the first statement above.

Try reading the full post, it's full of humour start to finish.

So many dead people

yep 6

So many injured

that was 7

standing in the middle of the train ways..

did they park/stop (standing) on the tracks (train ways)?? i thought they were driving over the crossing (not slowing down).

when the train hits you heading pretty fast..

when the train heading to bkk from Ubon travelling at 70kph (pretty fast) hit the car side on in the middle of the crossing as it attempted to cross the tracks.

just iron hidding a thin skinned Pick Up truck in the middle

100's of tonnes of iron hitting a 2 tonne pickup truck and dragging it down the tracks for 100's of meters.

I could go on.... now I understand why it so easy for farrangs to be english teachers in thai.

:D sorry.

Don't tell me, the driver of the pickup didn't know the tracks were there.

RIP those who died, hope the remaining make a speedy and full recovery.

Edited by dman961

100's of tonnes of train not a F1 racing car. how good do you think the brakes are? metal on metal does not work so well, just try driving your 2 tonne car on the rims (with no tyres) see how well that works for you. :)

Edited by dman961

:) sorry.

An English teacher. :D I would have hoped you could read and write english to do that job, then maybe after you would begin to understand the english humour and when it is being used, as in the first statement above.

Try reading the full post, it's full of humour start to finish.

So many dead people

yep 6

So many injured

that was 7

standing in the middle of the train ways..

did they park/stop (standing) on the tracks (train ways)?? i thought they were driving over the crossing (not slowing down).

when the train hits you heading pretty fast..

when the train heading to bkk from Ubon travelling at 70kph (pretty fast) hit the car side on in the middle of the crossing as it attempted to cross the tracks.

just iron hidding a thin skinned Pick Up truck in the middle

100's of tonnes of iron hitting a 2 tonne pickup truck and dragging it down the tracks for 100's of meters.

I could go on.... now I understand why it so easy for farrangs to be english teachers in thai.

:D sorry.

Don't tell me, the driver of the pickup didn't know the tracks were there.

RIP those who died, hope the remaining make a speedy and full recovery.

Thanks for your advice. Unfortunately another passenger died at the hospital in Sisaket. A friend of mine came to the scene after the accident occurred; it’s just a sad story for all who lost their beloved ones.

Also for the guy who drove the train, let’s hope that accidents like that won’t happen again.

Don't compare a short underground train to a full passenger train with possibly attached cargo-carts. In my home-country the trains up north, far from the main big cities, both haul passengers and timber and have a high number of carriages attached. Their combined weight far-far exceeds anything any MRT-train will accumulate.

A London tube train typically consists of 7 coaches. My guess is that in rush hours there are at least 100 persons per coach. I have never seen a Thai train that long but I have no doubt that others will rush to point out that they do exist. Given the puny power of the locomotives employed in Thailand and their state of disrepair and shoddy maintenance would they have the tractive effort to haul such trains?

The length and tonnage of trains in your country has absolutely nothing to do with Thailand and in particular this unfortunate event - and the same goes for your reference to the MRT vis-a-vis the London Underground.

I saw on TV last night an American train travelling at 79 mph smashing into a 60 foot long truck that had stalled on a level crossing. As the commentator said, it was like a knife through butter. The woman driver (I won't call her a lady since I wouldn't hazard myself by arm wrestling with her) was in the cab at the time and she walked away unhurt, as did everybody else. I'm pretty sure that you can view it on YouTube.

What is not generally recognised is that the application of the emergency brakes when travelling at high speed could easily derail a train.