Uk Bank Account, But With Thai Address

I'm pretty certain i wont be able to open a UK bank account in the future (after i move out out of UK full time) and give a Thai address.

What i'm trying to find out is if its "good to go" that i can just inform the bank(s) that i am already with, or will apply for an account with before i leave these shores, of my change of address, and using the one i will have in Thailand when i get there.

I dont have family left here in UK, and i certainly dont want to give a friends address and they get bombarded with junk mail etc. The account(s) i have and will open before i leave will be paperless ones with no snail mail associated with them.

Anyone have any experience of doing such?

Penkoprod

I have 2 barclays accounts, both send statements, card renewals etc to my Thai address. Never been a problem.

Can new credit cards, debit cards From USA banks or Credit unions be sent to Thailand. If so how do you activate them, since 1-800 number do not work oversea

I opened an account with Smile Internet bank before I came to Thailand. After I'd got a permanent address I informed them of the change and there's been no problems.

You will not having a problem opening a UK bank account with a UK address and changing the address to Thailand once you leave the UK, but wouldnt move to Thailand and try opening said account with Thai address....Will end up like "Little Britain"...."Computer says No"... :)

It's no problem opening up a new UK account from Thailand with a Thailand address once you come here, all you need is proof of address.

Open up the account offshore (Jersey, Isle of Man) to avoid UK tax liabilities.

All UK high street banks and building societies have offshore branches geared to expats overseas needs.

Edited by PattayaParent

Opening a bank account in the UK with a Thai address will be a problem. Thailand ranks as a country where bank fraud is extremely high.

As for opening an offshore bank account, unlike the past, this is now very difficult.

I have had an offshore bank account with Natwest in Jersey for 15 years and in order to open another account with the same bank required certified proof of identity and address. Furthermore, Natwest have informed me that they will not be sending any replacement cheque books or credit cards in the future to my address in Thailand.

So, to open a new offshore account will require a very good reason and similar certified paperwork.

If you have any tax liabilities in the UK, this will complicate matters with an offshore bank account. If Inland Revenue contact your bank, they are legally obliged to provide them with your overseas address.

I suggest an account with an internet based bank will be the simplest solution for you.

Can new credit cards, debit cards From USA banks or Credit unions be sent to Thailand. If so how do you activate them, since 1-800 number do not work oversea

I've phoned 0800 numbers in the UK using Skype, and according to their rates you can call toll free numbers in the USA free of charge.

It WILL be a problem.

You will not be able to satisfy the Money Laundering Rules regarding identification and address verification. Actually, you will - but you will not satisfy the banks' interpretation of MLR.

Quite simply open the account before you go and then advise your change of address later. Minor care if you are a Nationwide Flexaccount holder - technically you are not eligible for this account if you are resident overseas.

I would also recommend retaining an 'accommodation address' in the UK - you never know when in might come in handy. I also know some people who maintain a joint account (with, say, a brother) to increase access options to funds held in the UK. Also useful in the event of unexpected death.

It will not be a problem, I have UK accounts with a range of UK banks and each sends all paperwork etc to my Thai address, I even opened a new one in the UK in September and it was all very straight forward, they're happy to do it.

It's no problem opening up a new UK account from Thailand with a Thailand address once you come here, all you need is proof of address.

Open up the account offshore (Jersey, Isle of Man) to avoid UK tax liabilities.

All UK high street banks and building societies have offshore branches geared to expats overseas needs.

PP...In principle you are correct, practically not so easy, I tried to open an account with in Jersey, forwarded all required paperwork inclusive of proof of address in Thailand, mobile phone bill, copy of work permit and even a reference from my SCB manager in Thailand with his business card attached etc....then the fun started...letter arrived...Mr Soutpeel, we are unable to open this account due to discrepancies with proof of address supplied...

My email back...What discrepancies ??..Bank..."writing on proof of address is in a "funny" language"...

Soutpeels response...Funny writing is Thai....I live in Thailand hence the Thai script..

Bank...We are unable to process this account....

Soutpeels response...If I go to a branch of your bank in Thailand and get all these documents certifed ?...Is this ok....

Bank....Provided its all in English and certifed translations

Soutpeels ..but your notes on the documents dont say it needs to be in English, just says you need proof of address..which you have multiple proofs..

Bank..."Computer says no"

Soutpeel...stuff this think I will open an account in Singapore..

6 months later...Bank...We have noted you havent opened your account

Soutpeel....I was trying but you clowns where giving me the run around

Bank ok send documents again sure we can sort this out

Soutpeel...too late already have an account in Singapore and very happy...

Bank..Oh

:)

It WILL be a problem.

You will not be able to satisfy the Money Laundering Rules regarding identification and address verification. Actually, you will - but you will not satisfy the banks' interpretation of MLR.

Quite simply open the account before you go and then advise your change of address later. Minor care if you are a Nationwide Flexaccount holder - technically you are not eligible for this account if you are resident overseas.

I would also recommend retaining an 'accommodation address' in the UK - you never know when in might come in handy. I also know some people who maintain a joint account (with, say, a brother) to increase access options to funds held in the UK. Also useful in the event of unexpected death.

Confirmation of a Thai address and a British passport, along with an explanation of why/what you're doing etc satisfies this need, I periodically change my residence status with HSBC UK and I simply tell them my current address and they change their records accordingly.

It will not be a problem, I have UK accounts with a range of UK banks and each sends all paperwork etc to my Thai address, I even opened a new one in the UK in September and it was all very straight forward, they're happy to do it.

I agree.

I have accounts in 10 different banks all opened from my Pattaya address.

You need a certified copy of your passport and proof of address (go see Barry Kenyon)

I receive statments, cheque books, debit cards and credit cards at my Pattaya address.

Edit: You can apply for accounts online at most banks / building societies and send them the proof documents by mail.

Edited by PattayaParent

I've phoned 0800 numbers in the UK using Skype, and according to their rates you can call toll free numbers in the USA free of charge.

You will have to ask the bank in question what their policy is regarding sending credit or debit cards to an address in Thailand.

If they do, to activate a card there is normally an alternative telephone number to the free one available for callers from overseas.

I agree.

I have a trusted friend who hand carries items that cannot be sent to Thailand for whatever reason.

Of course this is not an option available to everyone but, if you can, it is a huge help.

Edited by Jonathanpattaya

Inform your existing UK bank's of your new address in Thailand which they will accept without any questions, you will receive statement as usual at your address here, but cheque books and credit cards will not be sent to Thailand due to financial frauds taking place here.

As an expat it would be to your advantage to open an offshore bank a/c, for this to take place you need certain certifications, ie, a certified copy of your passport done by your Embassy/Consulate or by a local Solicitor/Barrister, in addition one needs to provide proof of one's address, such as utility bills, and bank statements, those doc's must be no more than two to three months old, sent the lot via registered post to your selected offshore bank and the account will be open within a month, once the A/c in open apply for online banking for general banking efficiency.

Inform your existing UK bank's of your new address in Thailand which they will accept without any questions, you will receive statement as usual at your address here, but cheque books and credit cards will not be sent to Thailand due to financial frauds taking place here.

As an expat it would be to your advantage to open an offshore bank a/c, for this to take place you need certain certifications, ie, a certified copy of your passport done by your Embassy/Consulate or by a local Solicitor/Barrister, in addition one needs to provide proof of one's address, such as utility bills, and bank statements, those doc's must be no more than two to three months old, sent the lot via registered post to your selected offshore bank and the account will be open within a month, once the A/c in open apply for online banking for general banking efficiency.

Do you actually live in Thailand ???....Asking because you are talking about solicitors and barrister's, these dont exist here.. :D ..Also with utility bills/bank statements, as we are in Thailand, the address is.... wait for it...in Thai... :) ..as pointed out in a previous post..it appears offshore banks in in the likes of Jersey have a major problem with.. :D

My advice dont p*ss around with banks in good old blighty....Singapore or Hong Kong are better... :D

How can one thread get so complicated? The member 'Penkoprod' wants to open a UK account with a Thai address. Yes he can. There is some untrue information on that last post.

Do you actually live in Thailand ???....Asking because you are talking about solicitors and barrister's, these dont exist here.. ..Also with utility bills/bank statements, as we are in Thailand, the address is.... wait for it...in Thai... ..as pointed out in a previous post..it appears offshore banks in in the likes of Jersey have a major problem with..

Solicitors and barristers are lawyers - they most certainly do exist in Thailand, even this site is littered with adverts for such professionals.

To open an account you need proof of address such as a utility bill. I get my internet from 'True' - they always write my address in English, as such it would be perfectly acceptable to any foriegn bank.

My advice dont p*ss around with banks in good old blighty....Singapore or Hong Kong are better... :)

Yes, good advice.

The UK finance industry makes out it is the best in the world, and essential to the UK economy, requiring a trillion or tax payers' hard earned cash to keep the wanke_rs, er, bankers in business.

IMO they proved the absolutely worst service I have ever had to endure from a bank. Slow transfers, anal procedures over identification, arrogance and utter disdain for their customers, who are abused and overcharged.

The whole dam_n lot should be left to go down the crapper and a new customer oriented industry built up. Would the UK economy go to the wall? NO! If the trillion had been spent on industry and education, then at least there would be something to see for it. ATMs freezing up? No cash at the banks? Absolute bullshit, scaremongering and drama playing. The Brits would have found a way, but no, the banks were bailed out, confirming their idea that they are invincible and essential.

I hate the arrogant, thieving, conspiring UK banking bastards.

Edited by 12DrinkMore

Thanks for all the replies, guys

Without all the granois plans of things like offshore tax haven accounts, or accounts in Singapore etc, all i am thinking of doing is opening and running a couple of accounts supplementary to what i have at present. The one that my company pension gets paid into and bills paid from etc, etc.

This is a current account with HSBC. I would like to move my savings to an account with a different bank, and thought "Nationwide"

Also, as The Halifax offer SWIFT transfers at an attractive fee (£9:80) i would transfer any cash needing to be deposited into a Thai bank account (which i have already) as and when needed. But they take the mickey interest wise, so that would only be used to transfer monies to Thailand, keeping a very low balance in there

I actually thought of junking the HSBC account altogether, but my pension provider kindly moved the call centre to Mumbai, and its a NIGHTMARE trying to understand and be understood by them, tbh. So i feel it safer to let things lie where pension is concerened.

I can make do without any debit cards, statements etc, as i can go paperless.

Penkoprod

How can one thread get so complicated? The member 'Penkoprod' wants to open a UK account with a Thai address. Yes he can. There is some untrue information on that last post.
Do you actually live in Thailand ???....Asking because you are talking about solicitors and barrister's, these dont exist here.. ..Also with utility bills/bank statements, as we are in Thailand, the address is.... wait for it...in Thai... ..as pointed out in a previous post..it appears offshore banks in in the likes of Jersey have a major problem with..

Solicitors and barristers are lawyers - they most certainly do exist in Thailand, even this site is littered with adverts for such professionals.

To open an account you need proof of address such as a utility bill. I get my internet from 'True' - they always write my address in English, as such it would be perfectly acceptable to any foriegn bank.

Lawyers do exist in Thailand, Solicitors/Barristers do not...these two types of "lawyers" are unique to commonwealth countries only, forgive me for appearing to be splitting hairs on this, but as you commented yourself..."there is untrue information"....therefore stating there are solicitors/barristers in Thailand is also an untrue statement.. :)

Your "True" internet bill may be in English, but a quick review of my bills shows the following:

SCB credit card bill - Address in Thai

Dtac phone bill - Address in Thai

SCB bank statements - Address in Thai

T&TT internet bill - Address in Thai

Car finance statements - Address in Thai

So would we say that after a statistical comparison of bills issued by a Thai company there is a higher probability of the address being in Thai as opposed to English ??

My advice dont p*ss around with banks in good old blighty....Singapore or Hong Kong are better... :D

Yes, good advice.

The UK finance industry makes out it is the best in the world, and essential to the UK economy, requiring a trillion or tax payers' hard earned cash to keep the wanke_rs, er, bankers in business.

IMO they proved the absolutely worst service I have ever had to endure from a bank. Slow transfers, anal procedures over identification, arrogance and utter disdain for their customers, who are abused and overcharged.

Ahh but in their defence the computer kept saying No... :)

I binned HSBC years ago for these exact reasons and few others thrown in to boot, operate out of Singapore and have never been happier with a bank anywhere...you can actually talk to a real person, who knows what is going on and you are not forwarded to a call center in Bombay.. :D

Lawyers do exist in Thailand, Solicitors/Barristers do not...these two types of "lawyers" are unique to commonwealth countries only, forgive me for appearing to be splitting hairs on this, but as you commented yourself..."there is untrue information"....therefore stating there are solicitors/barristers in Thailand is also an untrue statement.. :)

Your "True" internet bill may be in English, but a quick review of my bills shows the following:

SCB credit card bill - Address in Thai

Dtac phone bill - Address in Thai

SCB bank statements - Address in Thai

T&TT internet bill - Address in Thai

Car finance statements - Address in Thai

So would we say that after a statistical comparison of bills issued by a Thai company there is a higher probability of the address being in Thai as opposed to English ??

You are misinformed chaps, Solicitors and Barristers do exist in Thailand as in any other country, they are members of the "Law Society of Thailand" with the appropriate stamp showing their membership number of the Law Society, this stamp represents high authority when it comes to certifying important documents.

As to proof of address the Thai Bank statements and utility bills (electric) the addresses show our names in English, the house and soi number together with postal code are clear in figures, the village and the town are in Thai, the very fact that your name is connected to this indicates that you are living there, I have used those doc's for years (always recent dates of course) never had a problem.

Abbey bank are now refusing to send any cards etc to thailand. Thailand has been flagged as a high risk country by them. Had to change my address to a UK address of my son. I have quite a bit of money with them but they told me that if I wanted to continue to use my Thai address it would be better to make alternative banking arrangements.

Do you actually live in Thailand ???....Asking because you are talking about solicitors and barrister's, these dont exist here.. :D ..Also with utility bills/bank statements, as we are in Thailand, the address is.... wait for it...in Thai... :) ..as pointed out in a previous post..it appears offshore banks in in the likes of Jersey have a major problem with.. :D

which banks ?names /phone numbers / www please

Without all the granois plans of things like offshore tax haven accounts, or accounts in Singapore etc, all i am thinking of doing is opening and running a couple of accounts supplementary to what i have at present. The one that my company pension gets paid into and bills paid from etc, etc.

This is a current account with HSBC. I would like to move my savings to an account with a different bank, and thought "Nationwide"

Also, as The Halifax offer SWIFT transfers at an attractive fee (£9:80) i would transfer any cash needing to be deposited into a Thai bank account (which i have already) as and when needed. But they take the mickey interest wise, so that would only be used to transfer monies to Thailand, keeping a very low balance in there

I actually thought of junking the HSBC account altogether, but my pension provider kindly moved the call centre to Mumbai, and its a NIGHTMARE trying to understand and be understood by them, tbh. So i feel it safer to let things lie where pension is concerened.

I can make do without any debit cards, statements etc, as i can go paperless.

Penkoprod

Maybe open an HSBC account in Thailand and transfer money online between the two?

RAZZ

I can make do without any debit cards, statements etc, as i can go pape

Penkoprod

I use hifxonline.co.uk takes time to setup when in uk week or two then can send money to the world for free gets from uk to thailand around 4days (your bank) live rates as well who wants spent 500 bat to do it can spend it on night out :)

I can make do without any debit cards, statements etc, as i can go pape

Penkoprod

I use hifxonline.co.uk takes time to setup when in uk week or two then can send money to the world for free gets from uk to thailand around 4days (your bank) live rates as well who wants spent 500 bat to do it can spend it on night out :)

Free ? ... Who is paying for their "overheads & payroll" then, Brown & Co ? you know the saying that there is "no free lunch" and that is correct, so the costs must be hidden

somewhere, I rather have the cost clearly stated, no business can exist without making gross profits in order to cover their expenses, let alone net profits.