Uk Bank Account, But With Thai Address

Thanks for all the replies, guys

Without all the granois plans of things like offshore tax haven accounts, or accounts in Singapore etc, all i am thinking of doing is opening and running a couple of accounts supplementary to what i have at present. The one that my company pension gets paid into and bills paid from etc, etc.

This is a current account with HSBC. I would like to move my savings to an account with a different bank, and thought "Nationwide"

Also, as The Halifax offer SWIFT transfers at an attractive fee (£9:80) i would transfer any cash needing to be deposited into a Thai bank account (which i have already) as and when needed. But they take the mickey interest wise, so that would only be used to transfer monies to Thailand, keeping a very low balance in there

I actually thought of junking the HSBC account altogether, but my pension provider kindly moved the call centre to Mumbai, and its a NIGHTMARE trying to understand and be understood by them, tbh. So i feel it safer to let things lie where pension is concerened.

I can make do without any debit cards, statements etc, as i can go pape

Penkoprod

I use hifxonline.co.uk takes time to setup when in uk week or two then can send money to the world for free gets from uk to thailand around 4days (your bank) live rates as well who wants spent 500 bat to do it can spend it on night out :)

Free ? ... Who is paying for their "overheads & payroll" then, Brown & Co ? you know the saying that there is "no free lunch" and that is correct, so the costs must be hidden

somewhere, I rather have the cost clearly stated, no business can exist without making gross profits in order to cover their expenses, let alone net profits.

There was another poster on this forum recently who claimed to be able to use his UK debit card in Thai banks to obtain cash at preferential exchange rates no less and without paying any fees and this of course is a nonsense - as you say, somebody pays for everything involved in every banking transaction and it certainly isn't the bank!

My advice dont p*ss around with banks in good old blighty....Singapore or Hong Kong are better... :D

Yes, good advice.

The UK finance industry makes out it is the best in the world, and essential to the UK economy, requiring a trillion or tax payers' hard earned cash to keep the wanke_rs, er, bankers in business.

IMO they proved the absolutely worst service I have ever had to endure from a bank. Slow transfers, anal procedures over identification, arrogance and utter disdain for their customers, who are abused and overcharged.

Ahh but in their defence the computer kept saying No... :)

I binned HSBC years ago for these exact reasons and few others thrown in to boot, operate out of Singapore and have never been happier with a bank anywhere...you can actually talk to a real person, who knows what is going on and you are not forwarded to a call center in Bombay.. :D

Binned my banks for the same reason. When I banked in the UK I wanted to speak to someone in the UK!

Edited by maprao

I binned HSBC years ago for these exact reasons and few others thrown in to boot, operate out of Singapore and have never been happier with a bank anywhere...you can actually talk to a real person, who knows what is going on and you are not forwarded to a call center in Bombay.. :D

Binned my banks for the same reason. When I banked in the UK I wanted to speak to someone in the UK!

Just call them between 9am and 4pm UK time. Everyone in India is in bed then. :)