Who Do You Tip?

Spaniel

Your either living in a farang utopia or the locals swarm around you cos you flash the cash/or most of your neighbours have their eye on your missus!!! tell me did they help you doing all these things before you tipped them??? And if you were back home and your car needed a jump start and your next door neighbour helped, would you tip him???. What you are getting is what i would call normal neighbourly help, but you pay for it.

Yeah. I flash the cash for sure. 10-20 bt extra for a rainy motorcycle ride. 100 bt to the a/c laborers who just cleaned my machine for the last hour. 10-20 baht to a waitress. An annual gratuity to moo baan security. 40 bt to the man who cuts my hair the way I like it. Yep. That's me, showering the neighborhood with money. Frankly, I don't have the cash to shower anyone with. I work as a head math teacher at a local private school. Did I say I tip my neighbors? Excuse me, I suggest you reread. Income disparity here is a huge problem. So I'll share a small amount of the little I have with people less fortunate by tipping in situations where I deem it appropriate.

Man. Who would have thought the topic of tipping would produce so much hostility? Reminds me of conservatives in the US who espouse 'trickle down' economic models and then ensure that nothing trickles down from their own personal fortunes.

The local people you are talking about tipping are by definition, neighbours. and i dont tip the ac man for cleaning my ac, i PAY him. and if you have to tip the barber for getting a haircut the way you like, i would suggest going to another barber.

That's a bit squeaky!

Hey whistleblower - that barber thing.

I pay double the rate to my barber for a hair cut - the same guy has been cutting my hair for nearly 20 years. - I NEVER EVER EVER jump the queue but I really value the service.

My money, his great hair cutting skills, I think he deserves more than the going rate ......... Why have you got a problem with that?

Income disparity here is a huge problem. So I'll share a small amount of the little I have with people less fortunate by tipping in situations where I deem it appropriate.

Of course, We have so much and they have so little. Only a real dirtbag, cheap Charlie does not tip in 3rd world countries.

I mean really, what's the problem? - people spend their own money on tips - why is that any business of anyone else?

It's simple, GH, expectations. Some Westerners order noodle soups and tip 1.000... Yeah, that's true.

Thailand was a feudalistic country, tips were unknown by all. The tom toms have it, that the Amis introduced that during the war. A appreciated, snowballed development here, of course.

Like many others, I find the subject of tipping v difficult.

When its v obvious that the worker is paid peanuts, I would dearly love to give them a tip. However, as has been pointed out to me (by others who have lived here far longer than me), not only does this put prices up for everyone, but it does not increase their respect for you - tip too much, and they just think you are an idiot farang!

Even so, I leave the odd baht change with the petrol station attendants (they must be paid peanuts) and other people (obviously badly paid employees) who do something extra - I'll give them a small tip (50 baht max for an individual, 200 baht max for a group e.g. gardeners).

Its hard to know what to do for the best, we all feel sorry for the workers on a pittance, but I've no doubt that the Thais do just think we're stupid when we over tip. :)

Birdman, forgive me for being a bit slow.... I get it now.

The principal objection to other people giving tips is that it might put the price up for people who do not want to give tips.

So it's not about me and the person I want to tip - it's about me tipping and some tight ass who doesn't want to tip.

The principal objection to other people giving tips is that it might put the price up for people who do not want to give tips.

So it's not about me and the person I want to tip - it's about me tipping and some tight ass who doesn't want to tip.

Be fair - its not just a case of tight asses not wanting to tip, the point is it puts the basic price up as its realised that the farangs will pay more.!

Thais DON'T tip, so when farangs give large (undeserved) tips it perpetuates the belief that farangs are nothing more than idiots with more money than sense.

Edited by F1fanatic

Be fair - its not just a case of tight asses not wanting to tip, the point is it puts the basic price up as its realised that the farangs will pay more.!

Thais DON'T tip, so when farangs give large (undeserved) tips it perpetuates the belief that farangs are nothing more than idiots with more money than sense.

Exactly; we are in thailand. Do as the Thais do.

If thais were in a foreign country we would expect them to do things our way to soem extent. Same here.

Edited by caf

Exactly; we are in thailand. Do as the Thais do.

If thais were in a foreign country we would expect them to do things our way to soem extent. Same here.

I try to emulate Thais in a similar economic situation as I am with my tipping behavior. I have discussed at length this topic with middle and upper middle class Thais I work with, and am friends with. A small gratuity in restaurants, to service people for repairs, doctors for certain procedures, taxis, hair stylists, security, maids, chambermaids, bellhops, etc. etc. are all standard tips given by Thai people in my income bracket. If a foreigner is to emulate the tipping scheme of the working class Thai earning 5-10k then I would assume that the foreigner is earning in that same bracket, or they are just being cheap.

Edited by way2muchcoffee
  • Confused 1

Are you tipping at petrol stations? Actually no. But at holiday destinations the staff started to get used to that already. And they already started to give you the stink finger look/talk/behavior, because you are a Westerner and you did not tip..

It's not a matter, if you care about that or not, if you tip or not. It's a matter of coming here and doing naive the wrong thing in the first place.

Everyone has their own opinion whether to tip or not to tip and it sure is interesting to hear the varied opinions. Just face it, either having a stale approach or fresh approach on this matter will not make a difference in the economy anyway. If you think 10, 20, 50, 100 or even 1000 baht tips will make a difference in the prices Thais offer to farang and the difference you are willing to pay then you are really deceiving yourself. Nothing is going to change whether you tip or don't tip. The only thing that may change in all this is the opinion/impression of the Thai who gave you the service. :)

"And if you keep going the way you are going the Thais will expect 15% as the minimum!

Look, I do tip. But I tip the people who go above what they are paid to do. The security guard downstairs who is paid to 'whistle' cars into their allocated parking spaces does not deserve a tip when he does just that. But when i come home from Tesco with my young baby and 8 bags of shopping and he helps me with my bags to the lift, then that does warrant a tip. Those people who keep saying tiping is all in the heart, take my challenge. next time the people who you say help you, dont tip them and see if they will help you next time. Then tel me its from the heart."

I am with you - well put.

I do not tip automatically but am happy to pick for extra service or kindness.

We give a bottle of JW black each New Years to a manager at the old post office were we used to live who is a nice guy and who has helped us above and beyond the call of duty many times he still forwards old mail to us now - which is important as we still get formal tax mail etc there (We own the old house and it is on the wife's house book).

I tip taxi drivers small amounts if they are friendly and drive safely.

Small tips again to friendly staff when we go out to eat.

In America tipping is completely different in restaurants it is part of their pay to get 15% for basic service which I think is fine as long as you understand this. Better than automatic tips in Europe.

Are you tipping at petrol stations? Actually no. But at holiday destinations the staff started to get used to that already. And they already started to give you the stink finger look/talk/behavior, because you are a Westerner and you did not tip..

It's not a matter, if you care about that or not, if you tip or not. It's a matter of coming here and doing naive the wrong thing in the first place.

Exactly, follow the Thai way of tipping when here not the American way. And when in the states do it their way. Thais don't tip doctors.

I tip our security guard when he does something extra for me- otherwise not really those other guys (trash, etc.) because the condo handles it.

I'm most conscientious about tipping service staff in 'big' restaurants, because I know how little they get paid and how hard they work. Also tip the barman pretty well in my preferred hangout because I know that it pays off in terms of seating, service, and protection from annoyance.

I tip masseurs who are actually any good at massage (there aren't that many) pretty well because it's very hard to find new ones.

I tip taxidrivers up to the next 10 baht usually, and ditto with the laundry service, mainly because I know they have two small children to raise.

this forum is full of ... i'm so rich.. old farang or expat... when it comes to tipping, shame on you

do you know for example (i was shocked and since then i tipp more) that a restaurant waitress at MK ears 34 baht per hour

not a hearsay... i saw the : looking for waitress ad on their doors... salary : 34 baht per hour... so 8 hour shift = 272 baht per day

and that would be what for all your rich guys. .. 5 min of your time worth....

• Like 1

Exactly, follow the Thai way of tipping when here not the American way. And when in the states do it their way. Thais don't tip doctors.

Thais above a certain income tip. Ask them. Thais tip doctors for major surgeries and for delivering a child. Ask them.

Edited by way2muchcoffee
  • Sad 1

Thais above a certain income tip. Ask them. Thais tip doctors for major surgeries and for delivering a child. Ask them.

westerners tip to show gratitude, thais tip to show wealth/face.

Tipping a doctor is plain ludicrous.

• Like 1

westerners tip to show gratitude, thais tip to show wealth/face.

Tipping a doctor is plain ludicrous.

Exactly. There are two scenarios for a thai tipping a doctor. 1. To show off, if done in front of someone 2. To boast to someone one has done it. Basically Thais do not tip doctors. A gift after a birth perhaps but that would be done quietly not for the benefit of the farang friend to observe.

• Like 1

I do notice that my Thai colleagues rarely leave a tip anywhere. Just isn't the norm here...which I can understand, but still have a hard time dealing with. I spent many summers earning tuition money waiting tables (I'm American). I was not given any salary and my entire income came from tips (it is legal in some states, in others, minimum wage is required). Did this system incentivize me to give the best service I knew how? Definitely. Did I get upset when I was undertipped for no reason other than the customer was a cheapass? Definitely. If that same customer came back would it effect how I served them? I would hope not, but I was never tested because someone who tips that low probably knows they are not going to be coming back.

So having been dependent on tips to obtain an education, I feel a sense of obligation to reward good service . My question is, if you do give a tip, what is the Thai reaction? Are they happy someone recognized they did a good job? Confused? Or are they thinking it's just another farang with too much money (definitely not my case)?

To put this in perspective, I also used to live in Japan many, many years ago. In Japan, at least back then, tipping was never done. If you were to tip someone, they may take it as an insult (never really understood why, just one of those things you had to accept). So tipping there would actually lead to problems. What does it lead to here?

Wow!! ... there are some real Cheap Charlies posting here. I'm always amused by those who somehow rationalize why they should not tip, when actually they're just too cheap to do so. Of course, I don't tip for every single situation and never tip for bad service. But being a good tipper over the years not only makes me feel good, it also pays off dividends. In fact, there are several bars here in BKK that I frequent where, no matter how crowded, I'm always found a seat and always get preferential treatment.

Also, I frequently give my security guys small tips ... sometimes for no reason ... and once per year give them a nice big tip ... and this pays dividends also. They are always very eager and happy to help me, run errands, and give me special treatment ... and I always get lots of respect.

And, BTW, many Thais do tip if they can afford to do so. And it is traditional at New Years to give a "bonus" to people that regularly service you ... e.g., security personnel, maids and housecleaners, employees, etc. Also, Thai/Buddhist culture says that a "man of means" ... i.e., someone whose been blessed with wealth ... has a moral obligation to share that wealth with his family, friends and especially the poor ... and those that don't are considered CHEAP CHARLIES.

With all the dual pricing going on in Thailand I see no reason to tip .

Best point raised so far

Yeah ... great idea. Punish the poor worker that works hard 10 to 12 hours per day because their employer has dual pricing. That'll show them, huh?

With all the dual pricing going on in Thailand I see no reason to tip .

Best point raised so far

Yeah ... great idea. Punish the poor worker that works hard 10 to 12 hours per day because their employer has dual pricing. That'll show them, huh?

If you had bothered to read my post you would have read that i don't go to "dual price" restaurants anyway. Why do you make the stupid assumption that i'm trying to "show" them. Please reserve your twaddle to distort someone else post