La Monita

I'm back in BKK now, so doing some catching up here...

OT, had a great Tommy's chili fries, as always, during my L.A. visit... Yum Yum... But sorry, didn't see your post here until I was already back... Besides, I think the chili would have suffered a bit during the 18 hour plane ride.. :D

To various... as I mentioned previously, I wasn't overly impressed with the Mexican food at Los Cabos... with ONE major exception, and that was the wonderful chili relleno that they're fixing there... by far...the best I've ever had in Thailand, and indeed, one of the few places around BKK that has a real chile relleno on its menu. I too have had the item that Sunrise calls its chili relleno, and while it tastes OK, it's hardly remotely authentic. As someone mentioned above, more like a kind of casserole.

If my memory serves correctly, I believe the proprietor of La Monita also is getting some of his chilis brought in from the U.S. Unfortunately, they don't have a chili relleno on the menu at present, but I wouldn't be surprised if one didn't show up as a special sometime. They also seem to be pretty receptive to considering special requests for their menu.

Funny, I'm just realizing now... both the chilli relleno and chili fries or carne asada fries share something in common: healthwise, they both have a ton of fat and enough calories to choke a horse... Sure to put you on the track to an early grave... Does that mean I will stop eating them and loving them sometimes... NOPE!!! :)

• Replies 130
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I just went to La Monita last evening with a friend and everything was great and spot on and most of all REAL....

This place does not do the bait and switch, like Sunrise AND Tacos and Salsa...hyping things up, then only to get to the shop to find a taco the size of a deck of playing cards and beef that looks like its been boiled and chewy.

You really get what you read about in this post. - No hype, just real food.

They take the time to make good food and it shows, I tried the 3 soft taco set, and guacamole... my choices of meats were :

1. Green chicken verde

2. Al Pastor

3. Beef steak

You can tell that time was taken to cook the meats, and they will literally melt in your mouth they are so tender and NOT chewy at all, all 3 meats were excellent.

The guacamole tasted like something i would have made myself, so that was a plus. Ample chips were also provided with the guacamole, big basket.

The tortillas were thin Sonoran style tortillas, and were great. The corn tortilla was also good and not fried in oil as Tacos and Salsa does.

I was actually surprised by La Monita, because this was the first time I have ever walked into a Mexican restaurant in Bangkok and actually got what I was expecting.

I was expecting the bait and switch somewhere, somehow - but it turns out this place is the real deal, where they put quality before profit, and you will get exactly what they tell you,you will get - no tricks...

IMHO this place is in the lead. Its easy to get to and there is also ample parking. Check it out, you won't be dissapointed.

Enchiladas are coming soon, and I'll be back to see what's up with them.

This place does not do the bait and switch, like Sunrise AND Tacos and Salsa...hyping things up, then only to get to the shop to find a taco the size of a deck of playing cards and beef that looks like its been boiled and chewy.

What kind of hype are you talking about? I don't see either Sunrise or T&S hyping anything. All three restaurants advertise minimally.

La Monita's are indeed ample but Sunrise's tacos tend to be larger than La Monita's in my experience. Tacos & Salsa's tacos are traditional Mexican size, and thus easier to eat, but people used to super-sized American Mexican food will be pleased with Sunrise and La Monita.

The beef used in the tacos de carne asada seems equally good to me at both T&S and La Monita. Not chewy and definitely *not* boiled, but grilled. The carne asada at La Monita is more like carne guisada (stewed beef) because after grilling it appears to be cooked with a sauce. At least that's the way they were both times I tried them. Very tasty, though I prefer the fresh salsa available at T&S overall and think the corn tortillas taste better (fresher). YMMV.

The corn tortilla was also good and not fried in oil as Tacos and Salsa does.

I think you got that backwards. La Monita fries their corn tortillas in oil for the soft tacos (as shown in the photo the owner posted earlier in this thread). Tacos & Salsa does not.

I like both places, and even though I would give T&S the edge for authenticity. I tried the Sunrise at Paragon recently and enjoyed their cooking as well. It's great having a choice of places to go for Mexican in Bangkok nowadays.

Sunrise advertising minimally? You must not have been around when they first opened. All hype.

The beef at TS is like rubber, boiled rubber, and i could oil my motorcycles chain with all the oil on the corn tortilla.Maybe there grilled, but it sure doesn't look like the person behind the grill knows how to grill, and it turns out like rubber.

My soft corn tacos weren't fried in any oil, i can tell because they weren't semi-crunchy like at TS.

We must be eating at different places too then, because I've had the tacos at T&S several times and disagree with you completely, not oily and the beef was fine, not chewy and not tough.

Can you please post the opening days and hours? I went today but found the shop dark, no visible sign with days/hours. Again, I'd suggest adding these to the website, along with a small map, and to the photocopies of the menu available near the door. No reason to make it difficult for customers to patronize your excellent establishment.

Loma, La Monita has been closed on Sundays since their opening...

On the other days, they open about 11 am and stay open for food until 10 pm or so, and potentially later for drinks if there are patrons in the house.

My review of this very good Mexican food establishment is here....

Right now, it ranks as my favorite choice for Mexican food in Bangkok, amid a field that's getting better and better with time.

You Bangkok guys are so lucky! You have a CHOICE of decent Mexican options. In Pattaya, not even one place that is decent. Please Mexican food operators, throw us a bone. Yes, I am begging, if that's what it takes.

Edited by Jingthing

Sunrise advertising minimally? You must not have been around when they first opened. All hype.

The beef at TS is like rubber, boiled rubber, and i could oil my motorcycles chain with all the oil on the corn tortilla.Maybe there grilled, but it sure doesn't look like the person behind the grill knows how to grill, and it turns out like rubber.

My soft corn tacos weren't fried in any oil, i can tell because they weren't semi-crunchy like at TS.

"To each his/her own."

Some places serve soft corn taco shells..........but they can tear easily.

Some places serve hard corn taco shells.........but often they "crunch" apart.

Some places serve something in between (like Tacos and Salsa) that is not too soft or hard.

My guess is that if you ask for soft corn taco shells, you will likely get them at T&S.

I think you would have to have a great cooking pan to make them soft without any oil.......something like a pan you make crepes in.

No not even, i would have been just as inclined to dis La monita , if they did the bait and switch like every other place...but fortunately they are the real deal and don't create unneccessary hype to fluff things up to get customers in...they rely on their food.

Im not the only one who has experienced the rubber beef at TS, or the oily tortillas.

Tortillas can easily be made pliable the same way they do back home, steam them.

There are reasons for frying I will not get into.

What we find in most places in Texas and California is not traditional Mexican food....

Kuhn JRT -- My definition of 'traditional' Mexican food is simple: If you go to a Mexican restaurant and 95+% of the clientele is Mexican and, other than your table, you cannot hear a word of English spoke, it is traditional enough for me... BTW my favorite city for Mexican food is Salinas, CA where the above definition is easily met.

Interestingly, I just got back from visiting my parents who live in Corral de Tierra, just outside Salinas. Tried all the best Mexican restaurants I could find in Salinas. They were good, but a bit bland. I spoke the owner of one - and she admitted that although the cuisine was as authentic as possible, it was toned down a bit. Very nice roasted salsa ranchera, though.

I found a bit more authentic food, in my opinion, in Bakersfield - there was even a Mexican superstore with WALLS stocked with dried chiles and much more, including a corn tortilla factory with machinery in full view - SWEET - A paradise of Mexican ingredients. The corn tortillas were still warm in the plastic bags. Heaven. We took some home to my brother's house, along with some queso fresco and another type of Mexican cheese that my brother picked out (he's married to a Mexican gal), and made some awesome fresh enchiladas. I spent about $100 there at the superstore and brought back a good amount of supplies to Thailand - including about 12-lbs of canned tomatillos and about 10 jars of habanero hot sauces, amongst other stuff.

Check it out at -- http://www.vallartasupermarket.com/

The most awesome Mexican market I've ever seen.

Check out the tortilla dept. They also make fresh corn chips from their homemade corn tortillas that are to die for.

In the past I have had some really good Mexican cuisine in Los Angeles. But didnt get to visit there this time around.

Edited by ChefHeat

Where can I find this place,... just very quickly tell me the BTS station and the location, plz... thank you

or...

Can anybody here with higher authority make a sticky thread with all the Mexican Food outlets in Thailand, their addresses, their locations and BTS or MRT stations, so we can avoid such single spam questions in every thread...

thank you, muchas gracias...

Edited by MaxLee

Where can I find this place,... just very quickly tell me the BTS station and the location, plz... thank you

or...

Can anybody here with higher authority make a sticky thread with all the Mexican Food outlets in Thailand, their addresses, their locations and BTS or MRT stations, so we can avoid such single spam questions in every thread...

thank you, muchas gracias...

sorensen posted the website on the first page:

http://www.lamonita.com/

Though, all the website is for now is just a menu, but it does say they're located at Mahatun Plaza

I suppose one could call them and get directions -- (02) 650-9581

Welcome back........hope you brought some seeds back with you. I am almost certain that tomatillos can be grown here. I am very jealous that you got to go back and eat some good Mexican food.

I have yet to eat at Monita......also the new one by Robb: Los Cabos?

Lots of new Mexican places sprouting up.........I wish just one would serve the Tex-Mex I crave.

Hi guys, just want to let you know that we don't serve any more the Saturdays' buffet, instead we offering ALL you can EAT a la carte for 350 B

every Saturday form 10 am till close,

Every day buy 2 get 1 free on all beers, tequilas, margaritas and Sangrias

In the meantime please be patient or come early, some times we have to many costumers that we can handle, thank you for your understanding.

By the way, today i am going to Los Cabos to congratulate Howard and try his food, may be later i will do the same for La Monita

Salud !

Jorge B

Trying to highjack the competition's thread? Sad.

If you want to make an accusation like that, you better come and say it on my face, you know where to find me, i don't need to hide in a Dr. Burrito and PowerBand name and create conflict rather that input a positive feedback

I respect all the competitors, and i met last night Robb from Los Cabos, nice place, then I went to Sr Pico's, and i talk to the manager as well, in this business like any other, competitor need to know each other and we need each other, we don't play games as you believe.

And by the way, you don't need to be sad for me, you need to be sad with you and your square mentality

So, I the other forum was closed, i just stop here to let my friends and costumers know what we have, and since that in this forum I am also been mention, I don't think that it is exclusive, but, it is fine, leave your private forum to you.

Cheers

Jorge Bernal

Tacos & Salsa

In my view, there is room for a 100 good Mexican restaurants in Bangkok. Thanks to all the owners who are improving the standard for Mexican food in Thailand. If you are looking for a virgin market with no good Mexican restaurants, there is always Pattaya.

Ate at La Monitas the other night with a friend -- I was slightly tipsy as bkkjames had fed me one too many beers on an empty stomach earlier, but the carne asada fries were fabulously cheesy. The green sauce in the bottle was seriously spicy and very nice.

I love the carne asada fries at La Monita, even though the dish is not exactly authentic Mexican...or anywhere close to it... :D

I also like their traditional Mexican fare at La Monita.... but give me a basket of french fries topped with melted cheese, beef steak cubes, sour cream, guacamole and some salsa, and me and my arteries can die a happy man... :)

If you want to make an accusation like that, you better come and say it on my face, you know where to find me, i don't need to hide in a Dr. Burrito and PowerBand name and create conflict rather that input a positive feedback

I respect all the competitors, and i met last night Robb from Los Cabos, nice place, then I went to Sr Pico's, and i talk to the manager as well, in this business like any other, competitor need to know each other and we need each other, we don't play games as you believe.

And by the way, you don't need to be sad for me, you need to be sad with you and your square mentality

So, I the other forum was closed, i just stop here to let my friends and costumers know what we have, and since that in this forum I am also been mention, I don't think that it is exclusive, but, it is fine, leave your private forum to you.

Cheers

Jorge Bernal

Tacos & Salsa

Unless you have some sort of disagreement with ThaiVisa I think you should consider not posting details about your restaurant in the thread about another restaurant. I can explain why this is a bad choice in person to you when I next visit your establishment. Maybe figure out why the thread on your restaurant was closed and then ask if you can open a new one, where you can update your many satisfied customers (not "costumers") can stay up to date on your current promotions.

Cheers

Jorge Bernal

Tacos & Salsa

Unless you have some sort of disagreement with ThaiVisa I think you should consider not posting details about your restaurant in the thread about another restaurant. I can explain why this is a bad choice in person to you when I next visit your establishment. Maybe figure out why the thread on your restaurant was closed and then ask if you can open a new one, where you can update your many satisfied customers (not "costumers") can stay up to date on your current promotions.

Now now, let's not get our pintos in a habenero over mexican food - the more the merrier I say...

:)

I just did a search on TV for Sunrise Tacos and found this (see below). Is it a promotion? Does it describe details? Maybe the "new policy" needs to be clarified. Owners can no longer post?

The owner of Tacos and Salsa rarely posts. When he does he usually is responding to what others have posted about his place.

I, for one, do not mind an occasional update from owners on what is happening at their place. I can, see, however, how such updates could "cross the line" and come across as free advertising.

How about one update per month is OK?

Cinco de Mayo at Sunrise Tacos! http://www.sunrisetacos.com/

Break out the maracas and celebrate! It's that time of year once again when people all over the world mark the Mexican army's unlikely defeat of French forces at the Battle of Puebla, back on May 5, 1862.

Sunrise Tacos is giving a special promotion to mark the event: buy two cold Corona beers and get one free Corona beer from today till May 5th.

On May 5th, for every 500 baht you spend at Sunrise Tacos you will get a free "I love Tacos" or "I love Burritos" shirt! The shirt normally sells for 250 baht.

Your souvenir Giant Margarita Glass is yours to keep when you fill it with Frosty Fruit Freeze of Lime, Mango or Strawberry for 199 baht (all fruits freezes are 100% fruit with no pre-mix).

Like to turn your Giant Frosty Freeze into a frozen Jose Cuervo Margarita? Sunrise will add three shots of Jose Cuervo Clasico Tequila and a shot of Triple Sec for FREE to your Giant Glass on May 5th! This GIANT glass once filled is equivalent to a pitcher of margarita and it will cost you just 199 baht!

Sunrise Tacos will also have plenty of delicious food: Tacos, Burritos, Enchiladas, Fajitas and much more!

These promotions are being offered at the Sunrise Tacos branch on Sukhumvit Road between Soi 12 and Soi 14. This store never closes. You can also enjoy the promotions at the Sunrise Tacos restaurant near the Secret Recipe store on the ground floor of the Siam Paragon shopping mall.

Celebrate as well at the Emporium Mall branch, on the fifth floor in the Park Food Hall located near Mos Burger and Swenson's.

Mexican food is a huge part of celebrating Cinco de Mayo, so be sure to come out and celebrate with us at one of our biggest fiestas of the year! Rattle and roll those maracas baby!

-- Sunrise Tacos 2009-05-04

http://www.sunrisetacos.com/

Too bad you had a bad experience there. Lots of people really like the place and appreciate what Jorge is doing.

But people have different feelings about food, usually based on what they grew up eating.

Myself.....I like messy, greasy, oily Mexican food with lots of cheese, beef, and chile. (But have never thought the corn tortillas were oily at Tacos and Salsa.)

I never think about healthy food when eating Mexican food.

Maybe you like the healthy California style with bean sprout enchiladas or something.

Whatever. To each his own. Positive feedback is good for all of the owners of Mexican restaurants in Thailand.

The good news is that, unlike in the past, we are starting to see several fairly good Mexican places in town.