British Tv Freeware Utility

thaimite

I have not tried it yet, but I just came across this post on http://www.redferret.net/?p=17333

British TV is a small freeware utility which, when combined with the most excellent VLC media player freeware, lets anyone in the world watch 44 British television channels via the Net. It’s wonderfully geeky and simplistic, but also works, which is pretty amazing. Be patient as it can take a little while for things to fire up, and unfortunately lesser channels can disappear from time to time, but the main ones seem fairly reliable. Works on Windows, Mac and Linux. I personally love CBeebies, but don’t tell anyone.

Edited by thaimite

Can anyone help.

I have downloaded the VCL media player, and the link to british TV. But get nothing.

A list of al the channels in a little black box like a command prompt box and then it asks - "What programe do you want to watch".

I have picked the number or the program but - nothing.

I know I am not a genious with computers but I know I am doing something wrong.

Do I need something added to my computer to recieve TV ?

Thanks in anticipation from a very bewildered member.

You need to get the right codecs. Google for "klite codec pack"

I stumbled on this program yesterday, it worked lovely last night on my windows and mac, but this morning stopped.

---8<---

Which channel would you like to watch? 1

Unknown failure at script/britishtv.pl line 317, <> line 1.

logout

[Process completed]

--->8---

:)

Can anyone help.

I have downloaded the VCL media player, and the link to british TV. But get nothing.

A list of al the channels in a little black box like a command prompt box and then it asks - "What programe do you want to watch".

I have picked the number or the program but - nothing.

Did you install the mozilla plugin when prompted during the install? I suspect not if nothing plays. Try re-installing it and click on the install mozilla plugin.

For linux users there is also a linux version that also works well with vlc. This app is getting a long in the tooth now as some of the services are no longer there.

I have tried this “Jack TV”. (The latest version). It wasn't very impressive, I'm afraid I got six virus-warnings from Spyware Doctor and Avira during downloading, but I did install it.

It's very slow, buffering every three seconds, even if I have a 4MB/s line with TT&T. The screen was very small, and you could not make it bigger whatever you did.

I am afraid I just erased all the files with Revo uninstaller. Sorry folks.

I have a tried a number of these “free TV on the Net” sites, and they have all been a disappointment. Now I rather go to the TV stations Web-sites, and look on Net-TV there.

Edited by bellste

I have tried this “Jack TV”. (The latest version). It wasn't very impressive, I'm afraid I got six virus-warnings from Spyware Doctor and Avira during downloading, but I did install it.

It's very slow, buffering every three seconds, even if I have a 4MB/s line with TT&T. The screen was very small, and you could not make it bigger whatever you did.

I am afraid I just erased all the files with Revo uninstaller. Sorry folks.

I have a tried a number of these “free TV on the Net” sites, and they have all been a disappointment. Now I rather go to the TV stations Web-sites, and look on Net-TV there.

I agree, Bellste. I get all the British TV I want from the two top torrent trackers. All the best shows, news and sport are fast to download.

you make it full screen by double clicking on the video when it is playing, not when it's buffering.

and to stop the stuttering, you need to do to the properties of windows media player and increase the default buffering time.

works as advertised on a semi decent ISP.

you make it full screen by double clicking on the video when it is playing, not when it's buffering.

and to stop the stuttering, you need to do to the properties of windows media player and increase the default buffering time.

works as advertised on a semi decent ISP.

Loads perfectly, Picture is fine, but I too have this constant buffering. However, since Microsoft claims I have an illegal copy of Windows ( We have two PCs, running smae programs) I do not have WMP, so what is it playing on, so that I can alter the buffering time? Can anyone suggest something? don