Motorcycle Mafia Rant (whinging Mood Today)

FarangBuddha

I "live" on motorcycle taxis. The only ones that have ever tried to overcharge me are the ones at the beginning of Walking Street.

Most motor bike taxi drivers (from near my usual haunts) know where I live and I very rarely have to explain - was fun when I moved house though :)

In fact, my regular guys tell me where I haven't been lately.

Actually the motor bike taxi guys I know have families to support so they don't sit around on their <deleted>.

They came to my house at 3:00a.m. one morning when it looked like it had been robbed (hadn't, they couldn't get past the security screen door!! They then took it in turns to hang around outside for a few nights just in case!

In fact at my old house, one used to be my gardener as well!

All I can say "LONG MAY THEY BE AROUND"

And not one word about price???

I "live" on motorcycle taxis. The only ones that have ever tried to overcharge me are the ones at the beginning of Walking Street.

Most motor bike taxi drivers (from near my usual haunts) know where I live and I very rarely have to explain - was fun when I moved house though :)

In fact, my regular guys tell me where I haven't been lately.

Actually the motor bike taxi guys I know have families to support so they don't sit around on their <deleted>.

They came to my house at 3:00a.m. one morning when it looked like it had been robbed (hadn't, they couldn't get past the security screen door!! They then took it in turns to hang around outside for a few nights just in case!

In fact at my old house, one used to be my gardener as well!

All I can say "LONG MAY THEY BE AROUND"

And not one word about price???

I really am curious to know what the "right price" is. I don't use bike taxis very often, but whenever I do it's usually in the 50 - 60 baht region from Pratumnak Hill.

From Pratamnuk Hill to where?

OK - from behind Carrefore to Tiffany's - I pay Baht 40. (and return price is the same)

From 1/2 down Soi Khao Talo to Tesco Sukhumvit (front door) Baht 30.

From behind Carrefor to Outback Bar - the darkside one at the Lake (only the once) Baht 100. Cost me the same to Sure Park Steak House and the motor cycle taxi drive came and collected me later to take me back and still only charged me Baht 100 to go back.

From Pratamnuk Hill to where?

50 baht or more to anywhere down the Hill as far as Pattaya Tai or further. Going from Soi Buakhao markets back up the hill they want 60. From Pratumnak Hill to Thepprasit night markets - 60.

Am I paying too much?

1 ) Because they can

2 ) Because there is a strict code of conduct amongst motorbike taxis that they all stick together and do not undercut one another. No competition means high prices.

3 ) Because costs in Pattaya are higher than most of the rest of Thailand

4 ) Because the average farang in Thailand has a higher disposable income than the people in the rest of Thailand.

5 ) Because the motorbike taxi driver has to bung around 300 Baht a day to the police.

6 ) Because racist double pricing is alive and well and is seen to be justifiable by most people in Thailand.

Some or probably all of the above.

Don't really want to get into an argument, but I would definitely dispute point No.3.

Pattaya is a much cheaper place to live in Bangkok, Phuket, Hua Hin or Chiang Mai, the other major tourist centers.

Of course Thai cities and villages outside the toursist sector are indeed cheaper, but certainly Pattaya's nearby neighbour, Bangkok, has a far higher cost of living, yet taxis, and motos are far cheaper than here. Maybe the economics work better there due to greater numbers, I couldn't comment on that as I haven't done the research :)

I also know from experience that the prices for taxis etc in Phuket and Koh Samui are also exorbitant. Maybe being under the control of local Mafia is the key pricing factor.

Yeah, that's why I wrote "most of the rest of Thailand". "Bangkok, Phuket, Hua Hin or Chiang Mai" are just 2 provinces and 2 districts in 2 provinces respectively, assuming you mean Chiang Mai city. Thailand has 76 provinces.

• 2 weeks later...

i want to raise this issue again as a friend of mine was charged 50baht from walking st to 3rd road, which was disputed at the time, 40baht perhaps at a push, but they are really taking the piss, yes I know it's only 10-20baht we are talking about but it's the principle and as a percentage from 30baht normal fare it's a complete rip off