Searching For Photo's

wilson steer

Sometimes I do a search with thumbnails of the kind .jpg yet these searches never show photo's received by email in my outlook express.

Another thing: when I got this laptop in the U.K. about two years ago, I received Microsoft Works 2002 which included word and an encyclopedia and some other stuff, yet not Outlook or .pp presentation software, was I 'done'.

It is such a pain when people send me power point stuff, plus My nokia stuff won't work without Outlook. Solutions? Opinions?

Thanks. W.S.

Office is what contains Outlook and Powerpoint, so you weren't "done" as such. Although OpenOffice is probably better than Works, and is cheaper (can't beat free...)

Works doesn't actually contain Word, just it's own wordprocessor which is effectively a fairly cut down version.

For Powerpoint, I believe Microsoft's download site has a powerpoint viewer.

http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details...&displaylang=en

That will at least let you see Powerpoint stuff that people send you...

For an Outlook alternative - you could try Thunderbird (free). Because it's open source, anyone having problems communicating with a Nokia with it can release an extension to handle it, and Nokia and Thunderbird have enough users, that something probably exists if it's not just a simple IMAP issue...

WS - Outlook and Outlook Express use the format dbx (More info here)

There are a number of ways to extract pictures from a .dbx message, the simplest being to just open the email, put the mouse arrow over the picture, right click, and do the old "Save picture as" to your My Pictures or other folder.

There are also countless utilities which will extract pictures (and other data) from emails. A couple for you to evaluate are:

Email Extractor

Outlook Express Attachment Extractor

For a very detailed explanation of dbx, check here

WORKS:

Back in 2002, there were basically two versions of Microsoft Works. The "Standard" version (the one most computer OEM's provided) contained a word processor, a spreadsheet and a database. The "Suite" version (sold mostly in retail stores) included, in addition to the standard works items, full versions of Word, Money, Encarta, Picture It!, Streets & Trips and other minor apps, such as a calander.

Outlook, Powerpoint, and Excel are part of Microsoft Office. Today, Office comes in many "flavors", and may include some or all of the following: Access, Excel, FrontPage, InfoPath, Live Meeting, OneNote, Outlook, PowerPoint, Project, Publisher, Visio and Word. (Details here)

Solution? .....buy a copy of Office 2003 (hey...its only money...just little pieces of paper with strange markings on them.) :o

Options?

OpenOffice (free...Free...FREE)

Easy Office (Freeware version available)

602 PC Suite (Free Trial - Low Cost)

Now.......time for you to do your homework. :D

cheers :D

(PS- Forgot to mention, its rumored MS will soon discontinue Works. You can buy a version of Office (Students & Teachers) for almost the same price as "Works Suite".)

Edited by waldwolf