Photographing Buddhas

nickjam

Hey

Does anyone know if there's an exact rule when it comes to photographing religious statues in Thailand? I've lived here for 4 years and I still don't know exactly what the deal is. I was recently chased away by the security guard outside IT Square for taking a picture of the little temple. He came running at me blowing his whistle with such verve that I assumed something was robbing a car or a shoplifter was doing a runner. He was actually quite nice but his persistent "mai dai's" got the point across quickly.

Obviously there are a lot of places where we're herded to to take photos of Buddhas when we first arrive in Thailand so what's the deal? Can any Thai members shed any light on the rules for such things? Also, what's the deal with not being allowed to take a picture of Siam Paragon?!?! If you dare to set up a tripod, they'll be after you!! Why can't I take a picture of my mate's bony legs in clown shoes when he's bowling? I just don't see what crime I'm committing.

Cheers

The OP's experience is a new one to me (with 20,000 pictures of Thailand over 7 years under my belt).

Perhaps he didn't like the flip-flops, Bermuda shorts and wife-beater T-shirt the photographer was wearing? That would be more likely. :)

I have never had a problem in Northern & Central Thailand with photographing but was warned off by one woman in krabi province for wanting to take a picture of her and her stall. Shopping Centres like pantip might be coming under the influence of some western centres that now don't seem to allow photography. i am always beeing hassled in our local centre if I call in carrying my camera. They cite security! A joke really as everyone is on their phone and could easiy take a pic with that.