Cat Telecom Internet In Pattaya City

JimmyTheMook

I live on Third Road, and had a leaflet in my letterbox from Sophon Cable TV offering "Hi-speed Internet" through their cable system. It says in cooperation with CAT. Speeds up to 10MB.

Popped into the Sophon Cable office, and they said I had to contact another office, handing me another copy of the leaflet Only a telephone number shown). I did not follow it up, as I had signed a replacement contract of Maxnet with "3BB" a few weeks ago, which I believe is for 12 months.

I cannot find the leaflet at the moment, but remember that the rates were reasonalbe.

In other ThaiVisa threads Sophon has been discussed and there uncertanties and unknowns. The 10Mbps that Sophon promotes on their flyer appears to actually be only 1Mbps.

In the only installation example posted, Sophon had to run a separate cable ( not their existing TV cable ) to provide the service. Sophon is not a pure direct connection to the Internet -- it goes through a Router at Sophon which means that your connection could be shared by more than 250 users and also technically limits some things that can be done regarding access. Below is a link that explains some limitations:

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/Sophon-Broad...16#entry3162316

CAT's 2/1 Hinet service has recently been reduced to 1790 Baht/month -- myself and friends have had it for almost 5 years and imho, it's about the best value you'll find in Pattaya for the cost.

TRUE Cable is new and claims higher speeds, but availability in some areas is unknown.