Ssr Ride From Bangkok To Chiang Mai Bike Week, December 4th

BigBikeBKK

• Replies 111
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

yes it the Panasonic.

Correct about battery life.

But image & sound quality is outstanding!

You have seen the vid clips.

It is a robust camera.

No need to take it for a spin. Just make an offer..... :)

Yeah, well, sorry, but that 20 minute battery is kind of a turn off... Thanks anyway! :D

(I hear FastCorner has some bike cams- gonna go have a look tomorrow).

Ride On!

Tony

yes it the Panasonic.

Correct about battery life.

But image & sound quality is outstanding!

You have seen the vid clips.

It is a robust camera.

No need to take it for a spin. Just make an offer..... :)

Yeah, well, sorry, but that 20 minute battery is kind of a turn off... Thanks anyway! :D

(I hear FastCorner has some bike cams- gonna go have a look tomorrow).

Ride On!

Tony

I just checked Fast Corners' website and honestly don't think they've done anything to it in years. Still the same from when I remember checking it early least year, the slackers..!

Hey Tony.. I don't remember the brand, but Dirtshop had two different bike cameras placed on the counter the last time I was there. Might wanna check them out..

I figure nothing for sale in Thailand is Tony-proof though;)

Edited by dunder

Hey Tony.. I don't remember the brand, but Dirtshop had two different bike cameras placed on the counter the last time I was there. Might wanna check them out..

I figure nothing for sale in Thailand is Tony-proof though;)

Ha ha! Cool man, thanks for the heads up- I'll go check 'em out!

Ride On!

T

One last video before I sign off for the day!

This video was taken riding East from Phrao on the super twisty 1150. Other bikes include Bakerboy on Honda VFR800, Spud and Frank on their Yamaha R1's, Dunder on his Kawasaki Ninja ZX10R, Banana Boy on his Yamaha FZ6, Dr. G on his Ducati Monster and Hawkhill on his stunning 1098S.

Happy Trails!

Tony

^ LOL! Actually Zzinged got it right- it was water on the road and we did eventually catch up with the offending water truck which was probably just about empty after sloshing his load all over the road for our entertainment... :)

Ah well- TiT- gotta be ready for ANYTHING and EVERYTHING! :D

A few more pics from this weekend's ride-

We left Bangkok almost on time icon_wink.gif

120409RidePicSm.jpg

Dunder, BananaBoy, BakerBoy, TonyBKK, and Frank the Tank! (You can see Spud hiding in the background too) :)

Getting a new chain for the VFR800 in Pitsanulok-

120409RidePics6.jpg

Remember this shop in case you ever need a good mechanic in this part of the country- it's on Soi Sanam Bin (Airport Road) and seems quite competent.

Can't quite remember where this was (perhaps on the 32 to Nakhon Sawan?)-

120409RidePic1.jpg

A couple of Ninjas icon_cool.gif

120409NinjasSm.jpg

Ride On!

Tony

The view from my hotel room on Saturday morning-

1205Bikes1Sm.jpg

Most of us stayed at the Chateau Chiang Mai Hotel. Hardly a "Chateau", but the rooms were big and clean and the breakfast buffet wasn't too bad and it was conveniently located right next to the Sirinart Hotel where the CM Bike Week was being held.

It was pretty fun watching guys walk past the bikes. That stunning Ducati 1098S in the middle always gets people's attention! icon_mrgreen.gif

1205Bikes2Sm.jpg

Today's plan was to ride up the 107 to Chiang Dao, then hang a right on the 1150 to Phrao and on over to Ban Pong and back to Chiang Mai on the 118:

CNXBanPongLoopMap.jpg

Spud and HawkHill are ready to ride!

120509SpudHHSm.jpg

Some guys thought the 1150 was a bit too narrow and dirty but personally I just love that road. No traffic whatsoever, amazing views, and a very cool mix of canyon and ridge roads.

Shortly before the town of Phrao:

120509PhraoBikesSm.jpg

Yours truly icon_wink.gif

120509PhraoMeSm.jpg

Here's a pitstop some ways east of Phrao-

1205Bikes7Sm.jpg

Leaving Phrao to climb over the next mountain range we were a little vexed by water all over the road and we did eventually catch up with the offending water truck which was probably just about empty after sloshing his load all over the road for our entertainment... icon_rolleyes.gif

Ah well- TiT- gotta be ready for ANYTHING and EVERYTHING! At least it wasn't diesel!!! icon_eek.gif

To be continued! icon_mrgreen.gif

Stopped at Cabbages and Condoms for lunch before riding back to Chiang Mai-

1205CCBikes1Sm.jpg No pics of the food, but the northern style Gaeng Hunglay was excellent! icon_mrgreen.gif

1205CCBikesSm.jpg

When we arrived there was a huge group of Harley's who'd come from Bangkok. Mostly Thais and very friendly guys. They had what looked like a professional camera crew and a couple support vehicles. Well organized group.

Hit the Chiang Mai Bike Week on Saturday evening and was very happy to run into a lot of old friends, including David U, Ian, Pikey, Franz and Dougal. Didn't have my camera along so sorry, no pics, but the Yamaha dancing girls weren't half bad and there was one pretty in the Kawasaki booth that was very appetizing icon_lol.gif

Peter and Franz told us of their plan to ride to Nan the following day with Marco and were kind enough to invite us along.

We weren't able to make their 0830 departure time as we had one bike that was in desperate need of a new tire. I was quite surprised that there was a tire shop open on a Sunday in Chiang Mai that was able to sort the bike- I don't think that would ever happen in Bangkok!

So, off we went- terrible traffic getting out of Chiang Mai, then northeast on the 118 then the stunning 120 up over the mountains to Phrayao. That 120 remains one of my favorite roads (and I think it's a new favorite for a few other guys too). I wish I could have captured it on video, but alas, no camera... icon_sad.gif

I forget the road numbers we took between Phrayao and Nan, but they were great! I did stop to snap a few pics-

120609RoadPicSm.jpg

As you can see it's pretty late in the day, but fortunately we were headed east and the setting sun created some beautiful colors.

120609RoadPic1Sm.jpg

120609RoadPic2Sm.jpg120609RoadPic3Sm.jpg

We rolled into Nan right about sunset and were warned by Liam, who had arrived earlier in the day that all the hotels in Nan were FULL! icon_eek.gif

Well, first things first! We headed to the river where who should we meet? The Three Musketeers? Larry Curly and Moe? No, but close icon_wink.gif Marco, Franz and Dougal! icon_lol.gif

Awesome to see you all again! A few pics from the evening- who can remember how many bottles of Jack Daniels and beer we consumed? I have no real memory of getting to the guesthouse but here there was some guys that wanted to break a chair over my head? icon_redface.gif

Marco and the Panzer Wagon!

120609Marco.jpg

Hey... That's one way to get a drink... icon_rolleyes.gif

120609Nan4Sm.jpg

Apparently some farts smell like laughing gas... icon_mrgreen.gif

120609TrentBeerSm.jpg

Franz was in good form and looks excited for Monday's ride-

120609NanFranzSm.jpg

THANK YOU AGAIN FOR DINNER FRANZ!!!

THANKS AS ALWAYS TO FRANK AND MO FOR SUPPLYING THE JACK!

Wow- check out Marco's HIDs and footwear! Ha ha ha!

120609NanPanzerSm.jpg

Dougal kept the jokes coming and had everyone in stitches as usual!

120609NanPeterSm.jpg

I don't know where I slept that night but big thanks to Liam for finding a place- It was only 350 Baht, clean, quiet, hot water and a very comfy bed. What more do you need?

Monday's fabulous ride coming up next!

Edited by BigBikeBKK

Brilliant ride on Monday December 7th icon_mrgreen.gif

The Phu Ka Loop:

PhuKhaMap.jpg

Left town with Franz, Marco, Dougal and Liam as there was confusion about what the other guys were doing. Alas Derek and Spud decided to head to Pitsanulok so they missed out on one of the most beautiful rides I've ever experienced in Thailand, but fortunately the rest of the group caught up with us a little later in the Phu Ka National Park.

An amazing climb up the mountain with tons of switchbacks- once again, amazing to see how Marco and Franz throw their big bikes around those tight corners!

Franz and I made it up in double quick time, giving Franz time to yuck it up with the National Park guards at the entrance gate-

120709PhuKlaNatlParkSm.jpg

The rest of the group wasn't far behind-

120709PhuKlaNatlPark5Sm.jpg

Marco the conehead... icon_rolleyes.gif

120709PhuKlaMarcoSm.jpg

(What's Liam doing???) icon_redface.gif

Ready to continue on into the Phu Ka National Park-

120709PhuKlaNatlPark6Sm.jpg

Designated a National Park on the 17th June 1999, Doi Phuka National park is situated in the mountains of Northern Thailand. The park is named after the highest peak in the park boundaries, Doi Phuka, which sits at 1,980 meters (6,600 feet) above sea level. Phuka is Northern Thailand’s largest national park, at 1,704 km2 size.

NP220S1T1P4N2E.JPG

Wow it was chilly up there in the mountains! We stopped at the Lan Doo Daw viewpoint where there is also a campsite- (You can see the tents behind the sign)

120709LanDooDawNinjaSm.jpg

The park staff told us it had gotten down to 12 degrees Celsius the night before and that it's not unusual for the temperature to go down to single digits in the winter months. icon_eek.gif

All I can say is that when I went to wash my hands the water was ice cold- I wonder if any of the campers took a shower that morning??? icon_eek.gif

Absolutely gorgeous up in the mountains and some stellar views. This area is also famous for some very odd prehistoric palm trees. I hope Liam will show us some of his pictures because my camera really wasn't able to capture them very well.

We stopped here for lunch and could hear a sport bike off in the distance- who should it be but BananaBoy! Grinning ear to ear and going on about how not even Bakerboy could keep up with him today as he was "IN THE ZONE!!! Ha ha ha! (More on that a little later) icon_wink.gif

Marco couldn't find a chair that would support him, but not for lack of trying icon_redface.gif

Off we go- stunning roads and views the entire way...

Except perhaps for the places where there was no road.... icon_rolleyes.gif

120709Cntrctn1Sm.jpg

Ha ha! Seriously though, there was NO ROAD at this spot- Once the construction crew saw us they MADE us a "road" of sorts and I rather suspect they were taking bets on how many of us would wipe out on their soft dirt "road". icon_lol.gif

120709CntrctnSm.jpg

This wasn't the only spot of construction and it wasn't too long after that BananaBoy decided to get his knee down, and then some... icon_rolleyes.gif

120709FizzerOoopsSm.jpg

Liam was right behind him and witnessed the whole thing. Apparently Trent had some trouble negotiating another spot of dirt, hit a big rock in the middle of the road and had a gentle low speed spill. Very minor damage to the Fizzer (since apparently it landed on top of Trent!) Ha ha! icon_mrgreen.gif

120709FizzerOoops1.jpg

Ah- we finally reach the 1081 icon_razz.gif

1081Map.jpg

Dougal promised us biking Nirvana, and he wasn't lying!

120709Rt1180aZm.jpg

Stopped here to get some videos-

A little further on is where Marco took this awesome video:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xT6vNvN4VmQ

We just couldn't get over what a perfect road this was and we were also wondering why in the world it was built?

I think the entire time were were on the 1081 we passed ONE car! Not that we're complaining mind you! Thailand continues to impress with her amazing roads. This one is definitely on my short list of all time greats! Thanks again Dougal for showing us this secret gem! icon_biggrin.gif

I can't wait to go back there and explore some more!

1207091180BikesSm.jpg

Smiles all around- what a great day!

It seems the best rides take place when you are not there. :D

You mean to say the best rides take place when YOU are not there, right? :D We missed you and without a doubt you would have loved many of the rides we did. Bakerboy was lucky though because despite your absence there were still a couple of guys who could keep pace with him and then some! (Spud and Franz are definitely members of the FASTER THAN FAST group!)

Dude- I told you to pop more pain pills and power on! :D Seriously though, lemme know when you're healed up and ready to ride as I am very much wanting to head back up to Nan to explore more of her fabulous roads. (Got a long list of recommendations from the Golden Triangle Riders- and those guys have never let me down. :) ) What's your ETA on being able to ride again? I'm thinking I'd like to ride up again the first or second weekend of January.

It seems the best rides take place when you are not there. :)

What's your ETA on being able to ride again? I'm thinking I'd like to ride up again the first or second weekend of January.

Cast comes off on the last week of December.

However according to my Doctor. I will still have to wear some form of support for my wrist. :D The bone in the arm is fine. Just the bone in the wrist is being difficult.

Anyhooter, I myself expect to be back on the saddle the day after New Year's day! :D

That does look like some sensational country and riding..

When are you coming up? Methinks this time you have a ride that will hold together and not puke her guts somewhere near Nakhon Nowhere :)

Not sure.. Stupidly I got involved in another biz and this odd thing called 'work' keeps stopping me from riding away.. I may live to regret that choice.

What's your ETA on being able to ride again? I'm thinking I'd like to ride up again the first or second weekend of January.

However according to my Doctor. I will still have to wear some form of support for my wrist. :D The bone in the arm is fine. Just the bone in the wrist is being difficult.

Anyhooter, I myself expect to be back on the saddle the day after New Year's day! :D

hey Travelmate, if its your left wrist, try a scooter on stereoids, like yammy 500 T max. You d be amazed how much fun you can have without a clutch :D

Edited by katabeachbum

hey Travelmate, if its your left wrist, try a scooter on stereoids, like yammy 500 T max. You d be amazed how much fun you can have without a clutch :D

Yes it is the left.

Thanks for the tip on the T max. I'll pass it onto the next dude that hurt or break his/her left wrist. :D