Ssr Ride From Bangkok To Chiang Mai Bike Week, December 4th

BigBikeBKK

Cast comes off on the last week of December.

However according to my Doctor. I will still have to wear some form of support for my wrist. :D The bone in the arm is fine. Just the bone in the wrist is being difficult.

Anyhooter, I myself expect to be back on the saddle the day after New Year's day! :D

Well that sounds like mostly good news!

Spud rode half the trip with a busted clutch cable but it didn't seem to slow him down much :)

There's a one armed GT Rider who apparently rips on his KTM- Clutch moved to right side, so he brakes and clutches with right hand. Where there's a will there's a way!

Ride On!

Tony

• Replies 111
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Cast comes off on the last week of December.

However according to my Doctor. I will still have to wear some form of support for my wrist. :D The bone in the arm is fine. Just the bone in the wrist is being difficult.

Anyhooter, I myself expect to be back on the saddle the day after New Year's day! :D

Well that sounds like mostly good news!

Spud rode half the trip with a busted clutch cable but it didn't seem to slow him down much :)

There's a one armed GT Rider who apparently rips on his KTM- Clutch moved to right side, so he brakes and clutches with right hand. Where there's a will there's a way!

Ride On!

Tony

The one arm dude rides a speed triple. Very good rider. Stuck on my arse when I was on track with the Ninja.

We rolled into Nan right about sunset and were warned by Liam, who had arrived earlier in the day that all the hotels in Nan were FULL! icon_eek.gif

Unbelievable, I was in Nan that night, also on a ride with a group.....had I known you were going to be there I would of attended to some midnight mechanical works on your bikes :D:)

Wow it was chilly up there in the mountains! We stopped at the Lan Doo Daw viewpoint where there is also a campsite- (You can see the tents behind the sign)

120709LanDooDawNinjaSm.jpg

120709Cntrctn1Sm.jpg

Dougal promised us biking Nirvana, and he wasn't lying!

120709Rt1180aZm.jpg

We just couldn't get over what a perfect road this was and we were also wondering why in the world it was built?

Tony, I rode through there on the Sunday, twice :D . It is a great road & they were actually exploding rock at that roadworks site when I went through. As we turned up, we were stopped and told to wait a moment (however they failed to tell us they were about to detonate explosives :D ). Anyway, I turned the bike off and was just chatting with a couple of the others when BOOM! Rock and stuff was flying everwhere, I was like OMG :D . Nearly <deleted> myself :D .

Awesome road, we also had 1 of 15 riders who ran a bit hot into a bend and came out the other side up against a little armco, scratched but uninjured :) .

Definately biking nirvana.

Tony, I rode through there on the Sunday, twice :D . It is a great road & they were actually exploding rock at that roadworks site when I went through. As we turned up, we were stopped and told to wait a moment (however they failed to tell us they were about to detonate explosives :D ). Anyway, I turned the bike off and was just chatting with a couple of the others when BOOM! Rock and stuff was flying everwhere, I was like OMG :D . Nearly <deleted> myself :D .

Awesome road, we also had 1 of 15 riders who ran a bit hot into a bend and came out the other side up against a little armco, scratched but uninjured :) .

Cool man! Surely you didn't ride the Raider up there and back? Did you finally buy a proper bike or perhaps you rented something a bit more suitable in CM? Actually, I'm imagining you running down that road with your cardboard Ducati... :D

I'm hoping to head back up the first or second week of January- Whaddya say??? :D

Happy Trails!

Tony

Unbelievable, I was in Nan that night, also on a ride with a group.....had I known you were going to be there I would of attended to some midnight mechanical works on your bikes :D:D

LOL- I don't even know where I spent the night- :) good luck finding me when I can't find myself!

Cool man! Surely you didn't ride the Raider up there and back? Did you finally buy a proper bike or perhaps you rented something a bit more suitable in CM? Actually, I'm imagining you running down that road with your cardboard Ducati... :D

I'm hoping to head back up the first or second week of January- Whaddya say??? :D

Happy Trails!

Tony

I was hoping you didnt ask me the details, new I would get the softc*ck award for taking it easy. I didnt take the Raider, it was a coporate shing ding, we took a bike truck loaded with company bikes (albiet small ones :D ) we were provided with a couple of VIP coaches to sleep in on the way up and back, we didnt go to CM, we just went to Nan. We spent some of the time taking in the sights and riding and we visited a couple of the poorer schools and donated a truck load of toys, books and clothing to the children and their families.

We had 5 days in total up there and there was so much to see and do, I hadnt been to Nan before. I certainly have the taste for a bigger bike on some of those roads.

It didnt even cross my mind to take the carboard cut out of the Ducati, now Im really kicking myself :cheesy: .

Neverdie actually left the farm??

I do it all the time, I just don't let on that I'm out and about, you know with the paparazzi & all that :D .

Its ashame out timing was out (about 24hours) or I could of literally bumped into you guys, most likely as I slipped up the inside whilst you were battling those big bikes thru the twisties :D (the reality being I may have got caught up in ur tyres somewhere out there). Maybe next time. No excuse for blasting past me without saying hello though, the back of my leathers reads "neverdie" :)

It was freezing at night where I was (well about 12c I guess)!.

I ate at Da Dario's on Monday night, mmmmm. I saw quite a few tourists around, seems to be getting more popular as a "real Thailand" kind of destination with the older traveler types.

I have to say, I really do like Nan province, completely unspoilt and still has a very traditional Thai feel about it. I guess because there are so few farangs there as it was largely off limits until the eighties and it is one of the most sparsely populated provinces in Thailand.

^ Yes, thats probably what makes it such a nice place to be, rather unspoilt, hopefully not too many people find out about it. :)

12 deg is not freezing, its fresh.

12 deg even I would consider pants and shoes, not shorts and slippers

Edited by katabeachbum

Shorts and slippers :D ....thats not very safe, pretty standard here, but not very safe :) .

Seriously though, I use to love early winters morning rides, the bike barking so precisely as it sucks in that fresh cold air and converts it into more pollutants for the atmosphere :D

I intend to visit Nan!

I remember suggesting paying this place a visit, when we were all in Udon Thani earlier this year!

Was laughed at, and told there is nothing in Nan. :D

Have you ever considered that the laughing had nothing to do with ur suggestion :)

I intend to visit Nan!

I remember suggesting paying this place a visit, when we were all in Udon Thani earlier this year!

Was laughed at, and told there is nothing in Nan. :D

Have you ever considered that the laughing had nothing to do with ur suggestion :)

Not possible. :D

Shorts and slippers :D ....thats not very safe, pretty standard here, but not very safe :) .

Seriously though, I use to love early winters morning rides, the bike barking so precisely as it sucks in that fresh cold air and converts it into more pollutants for the atmosphere :D

17 year old, Suzuki GT 125 2stroke, 3 in the morning, icecold air making it faster than ever, didnt even notice the weight of a girlfriend. Freezing and Luvely :D

cant make it to Chiang Mai until january 20 though. Until then its shorts and slippers in hot Phuket :D

• 5 months later...
Nan is a pretty good place to ride. Particularly good if you have a dual sport and can explore. All the way to Nong Khai is pretty cool, actually.

This thread is 6 months old =\

I've been in the US for the last month and am itching to ride. Kind of nice to re-visit this thread and some great memories. Who's going down to the Samui Bike Rally the weekend of June 11th?

Can't wait!