Have You Been To India?

Neeranam

Have you ever been to India.  

155 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

It has to be the most diverse and beautiful country and culture in the world. I know many expats here who have never been and probably never will. No interest whatsoever. Maybe they have been listening to the Thais too much, who say it is a horrible dirty country. I am surprised more of them don't go as it is cheap and is the country of origin of Thailand's religion.

I don't work for the Tourism Authority of of India, but there is som much there from beautiful beaches, temples. If you came to Thailand for these, you would like there. Mountains, wildlife, food etc etc

• Replies 110
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Spent 6-months working in Bangalore great place nice people - lots of really good nightlife. Workwise both Indian men and women are far more proffesional than other places in Asia such as LOS. Lots of real poverty outside the affluent areas - far more than Thai villages.

It has to be the most diverse and beautiful country and culture in the world. I know many expats here who have never been and probably never will. No interest whatsoever. Maybe they have been listening to the Thais too much, who say it is a horrible dirty country. I am surprised more of them don't go as it is cheap and is the country of origin of Thailand's religion.

I don't work for the Tourism Authority of of India, but there is som much there from beautiful beaches, temples. If you came to Thailand for these, you would like there. Mountains, wildlife, food etc etc

Agree with your comments.

I have been there. Ex-wife was from India.

Thought at one time I would retire there but overall I find thailand to be a little more laid back and India a bit too chaotic

I haven't travelled a great deal at all but India was one of the first countries I have been too (5-6 yrs back now) and I am waiting to get back. It's pretty crazy and can drive you a bit insane sometimes but certainly an experience not to be forgotten easily.

Unbelievable scenery, friendly people with lots of character, cheap good food, great beaches, wildlife, history, everything you could want when visiting a country, especially as you can do it on a budget or do it in style with some great hotels there and enjoy it equally.

One thing I have to say is a treat is travelling by train throuh the country. On a Thai train barely one Thai person will say a word to you, on an Indian train, you get food and drink constantly passed to you and by the end of the journey you really are part of the group and having a good chat.

Of course this is down to one main advantage of first time travellers abroad that the Indians all have a good command of English and are not afraid of striking up a conversation, whether about cricket, politics are whatever.

The Himilayas, breathtaking, everyone should visit them once to see what real mountain scenery is like, trips to Northern Thailand do not compare.

Definate 100% thumbs up for India :D:o:D:D:D

Oh, and some really beautiful women as well, it's not all about the Thai ladies chaps. :D

Edited by bkkmadness

India was my first experience in Asia too , 1992.

Agree with everything Bkkmad said, especially the train journeys and the Indians starting conversation with you.

They are much friendlier than the Thais.

Thailand had work for me, that's why I didn't settle in India, although I wanted to.

What has Thailand got that India hasn't?

I can't think of anything really - Pattaya, I suppose.

Many times -- thoroughly enchanting, enjoyable and spiritually enriching.

English spoken everywhere, even by the man in the street and shopkeepers.

All contracts in English.

Outstanding food.

The state of Rajasthan is a must-see.

Goa has huge expat viability. Actually is my 2nd location preferencewise after Phuket.

Thai food easily accessible and similarly, all other types of food. Big + is the top-notch Mexican food.

Kerala in the deep south is also v. good.

Rupee @ 43-44 to the dollar

State Bank of India opened its doors to foreign investors many years ago -- when Interest rates were reversing I had 9%-16.5% taxfree returns on annual USD locked-in deposits. Everybody I knew was going on and on about the risks, but quite a few foreigners knew that this bank is INDIA and were it to fail, the country would too. Therefore in my mind there was minimal risk and I was proved right.

When the term of my holdings expired I was offered a considerably lower Interest rate, so I declined the offer & shipped all proceeds out! :partytime2

India is one gorgeous country and if it combines forces with China, together they can walk thru' Britain and colonize it in one afternoon! I'll learn Chinese & Hindi then, hehehehehe! :o:D

Highly recommended! :D:D:D

From what I saw the first time, Thailand seems to have a bit more organisation in the way that it is certainly easier for someone to come to Thailand and live here than it ever would be to go to India and live there.

Settling into Thailand is not very difficult, not a great deal of culture shock, in fact it's pretty easy, settling into India would have been a lot harder for me 5 yrs back.

Now after being an expat for a while I think I could definately do it a lot easier. :D

I think your right on a frienldy people, I know the language thing makes it a lot easier for Indians to have a chat to you, but I also did notice that Indians overall seemed very friendly towards travellers in their country.

First train I got in India, a cup of tea was put down in front of me without me ordering it, asking where it came from, found out that the Indians at the end of the carraige had sent it to me as I was taking the time to visit their country. How nice is that, a prefect welcome to the country :o And it wasn't the only time that happened. :D

Edited by bkkmadness

Certainly spiritually enriching!

I liked Goa too, I was there in 92 for 6 weeks at the end of the monsoon, beginning of next season, hardly any westerners there.

Rajasthan, wow, I was there for about 2 months as it was so good. Mount Abu, Pushkar, Udaipur, didn't like Jaipur.

I was in Calangute, Goa over Chrimbo 1999, but too many tourists and a messy beach, a dismal part of the country, but jumped the bus, travelled South to Palolem at the Southern point of Goa, and got a room in an Indian family's house there.

Just went fishing off the rocks with their son everyday, catching food that they cooked up later, smoked a bit of hash, sat on a quiet beach, and every few days walked 30 mins to the local barber shop where they gave me the best shave I ever had, with all the balm/ice/massage treatment. I can't even remember the price but it was something silly.

I used to get a shark steak with butter/lemon sauce, a ton of creamy mash potatoe, rice for equivalent of 80-100 baht. How much would that be here, 250-300 baht?

The Indian food, outrageously cheap and delicious, especially I thought in Calcutta.

Hardly drunk any booze, in fact barely a few beers, and I think a visit to India is refershing for both mind and body.

It really does make the touristy parts of Thailand look like Spain!

India sounds seductive. But how easy is it to get there on a Thai passport. I ask because my g/f is Thai and would like to take her along for a cultural eyeopener. I'm a British expat, living on a retirement visa in Thailand. Assumedly, I wouldn't have a visa problem - but might she?

Certainly spiritually enriching!

I liked Goa too, I was there in 92 for 6 weeks at the end of the monsoon, beginning of next season, hardly any westerners there.

Rajasthan, wow, I was there for about 2 months as it was so good. Mount Abu, Pushkar, Udaipur, didn't like Jaipur.

Mount Abu ...... yeah, HEAVEN! 2 months there! :o

I'm thinking it should be easy enough to do, as most of the problem with Thais going anywhere is to richer countries for work and not coming back, don't think your'll have that hassle in India. Best bet, whack this question in the visa/migration section or call the Indian Embassy in Bangkok:

The Embassy of India

46 Soi Prasarnmitr, Sukhumvit Soi 23, Sukhumvit Road, Bangkok 10110

Tel: +66 2 258-0300-6

Fax: +66 2 258-4627, 262-1740

www.indiaemb.or.th

and while your on the phone, tell them bkkmadness and Neeranam are doing their best to prmote the country to Thailand expats, can they sort us out free flights, a five star hotel in Mumbai, and a few tollahs of Manali cream. :o

Assumedly, I wouldn't have a visa problem - but might she?

Neither of you should have problems obtaining visas. It will probably take longer to process a visa for you than for her as the Indian consular offices in Thailand usually require four business days to issue a visa for a non-Thai.

I was in Calangute, Goa over Chrimbo 1999, but too many tourists and a messy beach, a dismal part of the country, but jumped the bus, travelled South to Palolem at the Southern point of Goa, and got a room in an Indian family's house there.

Just went fishing off the rocks with their son everyday, catching food that they cooked up later, smoked a bit of hash, sat on a quiet beach, and every few days walked 30 mins to the local barber shop where they gave me the best shave I ever had, with all the balm/ice/massage treatment.  I can't even remember the price but it was something silly.

I used to get a shark steak with butter/lemon sauce, a ton of creamy mash potatoe, rice  for equivalent of 80-100 baht.  How much would that be here, 250-300 baht?

The Indian food, outrageously cheap and delicious, especially I thought in Calcutta.

Hardly drunk any booze, in fact barely a few beers, and I think a visit to India is refershing for both mind and body. 

It really does make the touristy parts of Thailand look like Spain!

The next time you're there, go to souza Lobo's restaurant on Calangute beach (if they're still there and in biz.) and ask to talk to the owner -- get him to sell you a "genuine" bottle of Caju Feni -- then find a hill closeby, preferably between Anjuna and Baga Beach and slug it down with ice and Limca.

Better than p*ssy! :o But why not have both? :D

India sounds seductive. But how easy is it to get there on a Thai passport. I ask because my g/f is Thai and would like to take her along for a cultural eyeopener. I'm a British expat, living on a retirement visa in Thailand. Assumedly, I wouldn't have a visa problem - but might she?

Piece of cake! Indian Consulate will grant your wife a visa in under 30 minutes, no questions asked -- not even proof of income or any such hocus-pocus.

She will be welcomed in India and found to be quite exotic -- Thai people are loved universally!

Go for it! :o

When I was there the manchester dopeheads seemed to be arriving in force, happy mondays etc playing everywhere.

I was in Calungute, Baga and a place a few miles south on the beach, forget the name. Once I walked home along the beautiful beach and saw only one person!

I loved the ganga, especially in Manali, where I stayed for a month or two. Funny as I never drank there, which was very very strange for me. There wasn't a need.

I met one hippy there who said that there are two kinds of people in this world - those who have been to India and those who haven't. I thought this was a load of hippy <deleted> at the time but thinking about it now makes a bit of sense. I have never been able to explain some aspects of india to someone who hasn't been, but when I talk with someone who has been, I could speak all day and night.

I used to get a shave every day, 10 ruppees, plus the massage, what a great way to start the day.

Himichal Pradesh was great. The highlight must have been shaking hands with HH The Dalai Lama, after doing a 13 day meditation retreat where he stays.

The Indian women in the North were so beautiful with their olive eyes and dark skin.

How are these Cabaret places?

Life Isn't a Cabaret

BOMBAY (Reuters) - Indian authorities have decided to close some 600 cabarets in the commercial capital Bombay, a government spokesman said Wednesday, robbing the country's entertainment hub of one of its major attractions.

The move by the western state of Maharashtra, of which Bombay is the capital, to shut down cabarets that employ girls to dance follows fears that they corrupt youth, threaten local culture and encourage prostitution, he said.

The move follows a decision last month to close nearly 650 of these establishments elsewhere in Maharashtra.

"The cabinet last night approved a proposal to close the bars in Bombay as well, as they had a bad influence on society," the government spokesman said.

Assumedly, I wouldn't have a visa problem - but might she?

Neither of you should have problems obtaining visas. It will probably take longer to process a visa for you than for her as the Indian consular offices in Thailand usually require four business days to issue a visa for a non-Thai.

Concur!

How are these Cabaret places?

Life Isn't a Cabaret

BOMBAY (Reuters) - Indian authorities have decided to close some 600 cabarets in the commercial capital Bombay, a government spokesman said Wednesday, robbing the country's entertainment hub of one of its major attractions.

The move by the western state of Maharashtra, of which Bombay is the capital, to shut down cabarets that employ girls to dance follows fears that they corrupt youth, threaten local culture and encourage prostitution, he said.

The move follows a decision last month to close nearly 650 of these establishments elsewhere in Maharashtra.

"The cabinet last night approved a proposal to close the bars in Bombay as well, as they had a bad influence on society," the government spokesman said.

If you're heading in the direction of making this a bargirl thread and thereby having it closed, kindly reconsider. India is NOT that kind of an experience although such things can be found -- just as they would anywhere else in the world.

I loved the ganga, especially in Manali, where I stayed for a month or two. Funny as I never drank there, which was very very strange for me. There wasn't a need.

I met one hippy there who said that there are two kinds of people in this world - those who have been to India and those who haven't. I thought this was a load of hippy <deleted> at the time but thinking about it now makes a bit of sense. I have never been able to explain some aspects of india to someone who hasn't been, but when I talk with someone who has been, I could speak all day and night.

That makes perfect sense to me, it really is a country to be seen to be believed, I'm reading Rushdies 'Midnights Children' at the moment and even his words can't quite capture the magic.

No need to go to bars in India, just sit around take in the view and smoke a little cream. I drunk virtually nothing in India, and in Thailand every night. In Agra had monkeys running through the hotel, huge fruit bats circling the trees and you could sit on the roof of the hotel looking at the Taj Mahal. It was the India Jones type of Asia that I dreamed about, so much of Thailand is plastic in comparison.

And it's such a massive country, hardly visited any of it really but made such an impression on me, definately need to go back soon.

I'm reading Rushdies 'Midnights Children' at the moment and even his words can't quite capture the magic.

Great book!!!!!!!!

I think if you have been to India then it is so much better to read.

On escene in Agra, a group of monkeys jumped over my head across the street, about 50 of them.

I used to watch the monkeys in Agra, first a group would come on ground level towards a fruit stall owner, why'll he chased them off, another group would drop off the roof of the building above the fruit stall, nab the goodies and be off down the road. :o

Edited by bkkmadness

I've got some good photos of my own somewhere, of Nepal as well, you ever been there? Not wanting to sound like a hippy, but sitting in those mountains looking out to the view made me really feel a presence of God in this world.

There was a Shurka at one of the places I stayed who was father of the owner of the guesthouse, poor as you like but with a stack of the local grass :D under his bed. He gave me a carrybag full because he wanted me to marry his stunning Nepalise daughter. Same place told me to keep the doors shut at night, because a Tiger had been spotted recently in the area! :o They used to kill a chicken everynight cook it up in garlic and herbs and I sat round with the family why'll they made their embarrassed daughters teach me the local dance. :D Freezing cold at night, blessed in the day, Nepal is a favourite country also.

Ok, that's it, Im grabbing me passport and credit card, and telling the girlfriend I'm off down the shops to grab a noodle soup. :D

india , loved it , sort of , its totally mad.

spent 9 months travelling around there , 2 months in manali , 3 months in kashmir 2 months in ladakh , and the rest of the time in rajasthan ,darhamsala , new delhi and varanasi.

the 2 day bus ride from srinagar to leh , over high himalayan mountain passes was unforgettable. the kashmiri and ladhaki scenery was sensational.

railway life was unbelievable.

loved the street shaves and ear cleaners.

only cambodia can compete with it for dirt and squalor , and it would be way behind .

manali was in a beautiful setting , but strong hashish for breakfast dinner and tea is no good for you and hard to refuse.

the food was not always as good as it should have been , my stomach suffered a lot.

not for one minute was i bored or was i anything less than spellbound by the visual feasts and horrors on offer , but getting around was always a hassle , the misinformation was 10 times worse than thailand and the cheating and trying it one just became too much and in the end i was glad to leave.

went back once , but for me the magic had gone.

nothing can prepare you for your first visit to india , especially if like me, it was your first experience of asia.

"

Edited by taxexile

My first visit to India was in '86. At the time I was apprehensive about having to eat Indian food (my minimal experience up to then was the slop they used to serve in Ellesmere Port). Having spent a few weeks there under the 'supervision' of an Indian, I have never stopped eating Indian food since (see also "Like Thai Food, Miss Spuds"). However, I still eat Thai/Farang food most of the time here.

Anyway, wonderful place. Love to go back!

:o

Been twice - first in 1981 for three months travelling - and then about 10 years ago for a two week holiday.

I have great memories of the sub continent, particularly Kashmir, which in '81 was safe. Spent 10 days there and if I hadn't dragged myself away would probably still be in the mountains.

I've got family over there - aunts and cousins. My twin aunts emigrated from the UK some 55 years ago. If the Thai gf and I get married, I've love to show her the country on the way back to the UK for a honeymoon.

I've got some good photos of my own somewhere, of Nepal as well, you ever been there? Not wanting to sound like a hippy, but sitting in those mountains looking out to the view made me really feel a presence of God in this world.

I hear you BkkMadness. I got such a feeling when sitting on the bank of the river ganga at Varanasi.

I went to Nepal, but didn't like it mch sa it was xmas and too many US tourists which put the prices up. Also arrived from Delhi with no warm clothes. Man, was that a long bus journey! I got offered a young Nepali girl as a wife too, she was only about 15! She would be the same age as my wife now. Same thing happened a couple of times in Bangladesh, never in Bharat though.

I didn't get to Kashmir as there were a lot of killings going on of tourists, so decided not to go. One day I must get there, I have this dream of going there and listening to Kashmir by Led Zep.

I went once, 1988 I think. Stayed in Delhi for two weeks, but toured around. I went with an ex-g/f - she was already "ex" when we went - who knew some people working in Delhi. They had a nice apartment with some spare rooms. The balcony looked out over the road - opposite, a gang of people were building a new house, and I remember being shocked that the bricks and concrete were being carried to the men by women. They carried it on the top of their heads, while the kids - totally naked - played in the sand being used for the concrete.

We were loaned a driver and air-con minibus and went to all the tourist sites in and around Delhi. There are so many fantastic old buildings and tombs to see - I took hundreds of photos (pre-digital camera) which are in my mum's loft. I remember one tomb we went to - Humayum's Tomb (sp?) - where we spent a time taking photos. I thought it was a bit dreary and overgrown, and wondered why it was so popular. Then as we left, I noticed a lot of people walking down another path. So we went there and found this unbelievably beautiful tomb! I think we'd been photographing the gardener's house earlier.

I also remember visiting the Qutab Minar, and the Red Fort. There was also one palace that was just a frontage - nothing behind it, but very beautiful and pink.

We did a trip to Agra to see the Taj - can't describe what that was like, you really have to go there and experience it. Especially at sunset. But if you take a bus - like I did, just close your eyes as much as possible. We nearly hit another bus coming in the opposite direction - even the driver ducked to the left as he swerved to avoid the head-on collision. And try not to look out of the windows at the rusting, smashed up trucks and buses at the side of the road.

We also went Jaipur - Fatepur Sikri, Amber fort. Again, so many places we visited. I must bring the photograph albums back from England and scan them in to the PC.

But the most stunning place was Mussoorie, a hill station. We flew from Delhi to Dehradun airport ( :o just a strip of concrete with a three walled building that served as both departure and arrivals lounges. A curtain separated them). Then a crazy taxi ride (no tread on the tires as I recall) up the mountain to Mussoorie. We stayed at the Savoy Hotel, complete with snooker room and two tables - and even the rules for "Snooker's Pool" on a yellowing piece of paper in a frame on the wall. In the mornings you could look out the window and look down on the tops of the clouds.

And in Mussoorie was Gun Hill (elevation 7000 ft.). I tried to get my ex to walk up the 500 feet with me, but she got half way and stopped. The railing at the edge of the path had a piece missing and she was so scared of heights that she could not, would not, dare not, go any more. I jumped up and down at the edge (2 or 300 foot drop), walked back and forth, but she would not budge. So I left her there, hugging the wall, and continued to the top which had a view point for looking at the Himalayas. Again, impossible to put into words what it was like. And even the pictures I took don't convey the feeling of space and massiveness. Anyway, I met the ex at the same spot as I'd left her on the way up. She was smiling embarrassedly at the train of sweet looking school kids walking past her.

But the best views were from the roof of the garden shed that belonged to a guy we met while walking in Mussoorie. He worked in Delhi and had a weekend retreat in Mussoorie. Getting to his house was another problem for the ex - the path was again along the mountainside, but we both walked between her and the drop, and she managed to do it. So his house was on the edge of the mountain, and the garden gate led straight out to the mountainside. A little path led to a tiny shack perched on the side of the mountain and we - me and the Indian guy - walked onto the roof of this shack and looked out over the valley to the Himalayas. I could actually feel the pull of the Himalayas, and made a mental note not to take the piss out of my ex again. The view was magnificent - miles of space in front, a drop straight down of about a mile, a little shiny ribbon at the valley floor that was a river, and snow capped mountains in the distance, and behind them more mountains, and then even more. Fantastic.

Sorry to have rambled on - I didn't mean to, but so many memories came flooding back. I think I must go back, one day.