What would the effect be if starting a disco?

Hi guys,

well i just wonder how would the reaction be if starting a nice club as a foreigner? I mean, not a crap place like bubbles (Chiang Mai) or so, but a real nice club with great house music, nice beats and techno music. Make the building in a shape of a piramide and have bodyguards at the entrance, just like in europe or the usa. I wonder what would happen? :o

What about the starting costs? what about the legal papers and what about the crowd?  ???

Two thoughts: 1) Be more concerned about the back door costs, than the upfront. 2) My observation is you are going to be liable for everything that happens on the premises, and likely lose your investment any way.

I think it is best to follow the road less traveled (bars), and do something that a Thai can't figure out in two seconds and duplicate. *Nothing against Thais, Chinese have mastered this, and it is the don't reinvent the wheel school of business.

Hi guys,

well i just wonder how would the reaction be if starting a nice club as a foreigner? I mean, not a crap place like bubbles (Chiang Mai) or so, but a real nice club with great house music, nice beats and techno music. Make the building in a shape of a piramide and have bodyguards at the entrance, just like in europe or the usa. I wonder what would happen? :o

What about the starting costs? what about the legal papers and what about the crowd?  ???

You are new in Thailand, aren't you ?

I must have heard about a million guys who wanted to open a club here, and none could do it. Unless you have existing experience in that business in Europe or in the US, and have a lot of "underground" connection here, then you might have a chance.

Have you tried RCA ?  :D

Hi guys,

You mean like that arse pit on soi 12 ..... "MOS".

Hi...my first reaction was also to say "how long have you been here" but I will be kind instead.

Here is how it works.

1)  You (foreigner) spend tons of money to build the place

2)  You "luck" out and figure out who to pay off and how much, which will be crazy money.  

3)  The Thais will help you get it open until your money is about dried up.  You think it is great they are so "helpful."

4)  Club opens...if it is even slightly successful...you get raided within about the first month, after you have spent the rest of your money on promotions (it's so they don't have to do it).

5)  You get forced out of ownership...done....you are gone, no money, no choice, no say so, nothing. Goodbye.  You no longer own a thing and receive nothing.

6)  The Thais (we don't need to say who) reopen it and make money hand over fist because they didn't spend a baht building the place, you did.

Sorry...but this is about how it would go.

You mean like that arse pit on soi 12 ..... "MOS".

MOS is an arse pit.  But they also kind off got screwed from the get-go.  When MOS intl. decided to open a BKK branch, they didn't think or realize the new closing time and "social order" would come to pass.  With that happening, the club business became crap.  Think of it, a club basically has 3 prime time hours to sell enough booze to justify itself by making a profit(11pm-2am).

So for the original poster, do you think that you've got enough money and clout to open up a "world-class" discoteque that can generate heaps of money in 3 hours in umm, Chiang Mai?  The disco would have to be a resteraunt as well just to justify it's operating costs.  Now that's 2 kinds of businesses to look into, entertainment and food.  You'd have better chances opening one in Bangkok, albeit negligible.

Who knows, maybe it will be the Royal City Avenue of Chiang Mai. ::o:

Not my style of electronica -- too vocal, too 80's -- but a hoppin' place nonetheless. Great place to take your lady to... Other than that "I'm in a sardine can" feeling.

MoS has better music than R.C.A, that's for sure!

[EDIT] Oh yah, if you need a skilled trance/psytrance dj from America feel free to drop me a line! Don't require pay, just free drinks for the night!  ::D: I can even provide the CDJ-Turntables if you ain't got them. [/EDIT]

Best of luck,

Iced Lime Tea