Galare Tower Opinions

stewstrum

this is galare thong tower in chiang mai but ive never been in it or stayed there so all i can offer you is this pic

sorry .... dave2

ps ... 10 dollars a day sounds good for a few days ... but this building is going downhill in my opinion so beware of anything longer

Ive stayed there a few times, some rooms are really nice others are rubbish...if you stay make sure you ask for the foreign owned rooms as they tend to be done up nicer than locally owned condo's...easy access to downtown chiangmai, but building work is a right pain in the condo, it seems to be never ending, and causes long waiting times for the lifts!

this is galare thong tower in chiang mai but ive never been in it or stayed there so all i can offer you is this pic

sorry .... dave2

ps ... 10 dollars a day sounds good for a few days ... but this building is going downhill in my opinion so beware of anything longer

I'm just wondering how you can say this building is going downhill when you've never been in or stayed there???

crudski.

re ... I'm just wondering how you can say this building is going downhill when you've never been in or stayed there???

thats a fair comment.

ive seen this building go from a nice pinky white looked after building to a dull beige grey in 5 years .... belive me this building is going downhill and in 2 years it will be full of thais paying 2 to 3 thousand baht a month for a " condo " ... with fourteenn people to a " condo " ... TOPS !

dave2

Edited by dave2

crudski.

re ... I'm just wondering how you can say this building is going downhill when you've never been in or stayed there???

thats a fair comment.

ive seen this building go from a nice pinky white looked after building to a dull beige grey in 5 years .... belive me this building is going downhill and in 2 years it will be full of thais paying 2 to 3 thousand baht a month for a " condo " ... with fourteenn people to a " condo " ... TOPS !

dave2

I have been in the building and it is very nice inside the owners are spending a lot of money on the building .

I'm not a fan of the building because of its location but to say it's going downhill is untrue. If anything the reverse is the case and there is a long thread about this which has been live sometime in the past few months in which the main complaints were to do with the huge amount of renovation work going on there.

The apartments may vary but assuming you get a decent one the only thing I would say is to be sure you have a bike or a car otherwise you'll feel a bit cut off.

crudski.

thats a fair comment.

dave2

This is a completely uninformed comment.

Galae had a lot of bank repossessions, and thus little maintenance money coming in. After people, including lots of foreigners, bought those up, they started renovating them, then started to push to get the building up to scratch again.

It still isn't perfect, but it is much better than what it was, one guy I know there says more improvements coming.

In fact both Galae Thong and nearby Riverside have improved greatly of late, with lots more improvements coming, should have good long term prospects, unlike the typical run down dump Dave2 is referring to, in fact I seem to recall he rents in one of those.

As others have said, rooms can be very nice or very average, need to check first.

It's not really in walking distance of anything of interest. I assume for $10 you will be getting a barebones studio room, in which case you could probably do better in one of hundreds of guest houses in more convenient locations. Also there was a lot of noisy construction work going on on some floors a year ago, but it may have quieted down or the room for rent may be on a quiet floor. If you're getting a quiet, nicely furnished room with a kitchen and you don't mind the location, $10 is a good deal.

How long are you staying in Chiang Mai? If it's more that a couple of weeks, I suggest staying in a guest house, where 400 to 500 baht will rent a very nice room, and spend your first one or two days checking out other options.

It's not really in walking distance of anything of interest. I assume for $10 you will be getting a barebones studio room, in which case you could probably do better in one of hundreds of guest houses in more convenient locations. Also there was a lot of noisy construction work going on on some floors a year ago, but it may have quieted down or the room for rent may be on a quiet floor. If you're getting a quiet, nicely furnished room with a kitchen and you don't mind the location, $10 is a good deal.

How long are you staying in Chiang Mai? If it's more that a couple of weeks, I suggest staying in a guest house, where 400 to 500 baht will rent a very nice room, and spend your first one or two days checking out other options.

My plan is to stay in Chiang Mai for four to six weeks..... I am going to retire soon and would like to know as much as I can about the city if I decide to move there.... They told me this was only 10 min walk from the night market....

It is 2 Km from Pantip Plaza/ night market.

Closer to 2.5 if you factor in going round the back of the Park Hotel if I recall. One of the reasons I was down on this place from the start was because someone was advertising it as being close to the Night Market and the Shangri-La Hotel and I slogged across town to go and see it.

Unless you have transport, being in the centre of town will turn out almost the same price by the time you factor in late night Tuk-Tuk rides home.

• 1 month later...

Hello all,

I'd like to jump in on this topic since I will be moving to Chiang Mai in August (yes... far away but excited!) and have been looking at condos in Chiang Mia, including Galare. Does anyone know the public transportation situation in the area? I will be working up the road near the Girl Guides Compound (in the 100s of Chang Klan) and trying to find a condo with kitchen close to that area. Any other suggestions on better places? I'm looking at spending no more than 12,000 for a one bedroom, or 18,000 for a two bedroom.

Thanks for any help! :-) :-)