Nightlife In Ubon Ratchthani.

Gjk7777

I have just built a small 2 bedroom bungalow about 70km north of Ubon Ratchathani city, my brother is coming over next year for a few weeks, he asked me if they have any bars like Bangkok, of course i said no, can anyone suggest any good popular pubs in the city?? My little bungalow below .

post-7566-1259624830_thumb.jpg

Edited by Gjk7777

Pretty nice bungalow you have there up north, is it Amnat Charoen?

anyhow, I live in the city (Ubon) but really can't compare with the bars/pubs that will be in par with Bangkok however

there are a few places downtown where the bar is owned by a foreigner/expat/Thai, such as 'wrong way', a new

Italian restaurant across Home-Mart hardware store, E-bar @ Laithong Hotel, U-bar downtown near Supasit hospital.

These are just a few places, but I am sure more people on the blog will give you suggestions.

Here are some farang owned places:

Wrong Way Cafe and N-Joy both provide pub-style entertainment.

For breakfast, meals, coffee, go to Pepper's Cafe and Bakery.

For good Italian food go to Spago's.

For louder, later, places, no farang owned but frequented by farangs, go to Swing Party House, E-bar, and some people like The Rock and the View.

Cheers,

Mike

Here are some farang owned places:

Wrong Way Cafe and N-Joy both provide pub-style entertainment.

For breakfast, meals, coffee, go to Pepper's Cafe and Bakery.

For good Italian food go to Spago's.

For louder, later, places, no farang owned but frequented by farangs, go to Swing Party House, E-bar, and some people like The Rock and the View.

Cheers,

Mike

Last time I was in Ubon there was at least one Thai-style go-go in the shape of PP bar, on the Swing Party House bar side of Pathumrat Hotel (hotel side of road set back in a parallel road). It wasn't very busy but may be the nearest to the BKK-style bars your brother was looking for. Ubon also has a large number of karaoke bars. One is Annie's. From Swing Party House turn right, take the first soi on the right and first right again (in effect almost behind Swing Party House). As I haven't visited for a couple of years I'm not sure these places are still open but Ubon has a lot of bars if you aren't restricted to just the farang ones.

Edited by citizen33

Pretty nice bungalow you have there up north, is it Amnat Charoen?

anyhow, I live in the city (Ubon) but really can't compare with the bars/pubs that will be in par with Bangkok however

there are a few places downtown where the bar is owned by a foreigner/expat/Thai, such as 'wrong way', a new

Italian restaurant across Home-Mart hardware store, E-bar @ Laithong Hotel, U-bar downtown near Supasit hospital.

These are just a few places, but I am sure more people on the blog will give you suggestions.

I am in a small village called Norn Wung ( i think) its not so far from the monkey temple in Phana, thanks for all the info. i am flying on January the 4th for 2 months can't wait as i haven't seen the house finished yet!

Edited by Gjk7777

I am in a small village called Norn Wung ( i think) its not so far from the monkey temple in Phana, thanks for all the info. i am flying on January the 4th for 2 months can't wait as i haven't seen the house finished yet!

My Isaan base looks almost identical to your pic - maybe we have the same builder. Mine is about 70km South of Ubon though...

Can I ask what you paid to have it built and how big it is?

Looking to have something similar build but have little to no clue on the price.

Thanks

The land was 60,000 baht (approx half a rai)

The materials cost about 450,000 baht

The guy to build the place cost me 115,000 baht

The front of house archway and porch 5000 baht(My builder couldn't do it)

This included electric and water into the house, but not the drilling for water and the pump and the electric meter so they can bill you, which i forget the price but not much.

I would say around 650,000 for the whole lot incl purchase of the land, i was lucky because we had no problems, it also depends on what you like,loads of different prices for things, best idea is to get some address of building suppliers and write down the different prices, as buying in bulk 1 or 2 baht price difference can save you loads in the end!

Its 12 metres long and 10 metres wide, so i guess 120sq metres, i wanted a outdoor eating area undercover so 4 sq meter was left for the table and chairs.

Where in Thailand are you going to build? The land in Issan is alot cheaper than say Pattaya or Koh Samui, and the builders will charge you alot more i would double that money for a place in those areas maybe more! Let me know more what you plan to do. Good luck. More pics below...

post-7566-1259704249_thumb.jpg

post-7566-1259704264_thumb.jpg

post-7566-1259704372_thumb.jpg

post-7566-1259704395_thumb.jpg

www.weloveubon.com provides some more info about expat bars, and Ubon nightlife

got to say, was at Peppers last Friday night for a Pizza and some beers and thought the Pizza was fantastic! Peppers not on this website but im sure it used to be.... a little suprising seeing as it is definately one of the top eateries in Ubon :)

Have i got my figures right, £12K to build a house!!!

I am looking at moving to Thailand in the next 5 years and i would love a beach resort, but the GF wants Ubon.

She tells me that life is a lot better and safer away from the tourist resorts but for me a village near a beach would do.

Malc

Have i got my figures right, £12K to build a house!!!

I am looking at moving to Thailand in the next 5 years and i would love a beach resort, but the GF wants Ubon.

She tells me that life is a lot better and safer away from the tourist resorts but for me a village near a beach would do.

Malc

Yes you are right, this time 18 months ago it was £10,000. You won't do anything in Pattaya for £12,000 at least double that and more. Go and live in her village for a few months and see if you like it!

got to say, was at Peppers last Friday night for a Pizza and some beers and thought the Pizza was fantastic! Peppers not on this website but im sure it used to be.... a little suprising seeing as it is definately one of the top eateries in Ubon :)

Yes, I'm sure Pepper's was there before; which goes to show you can't rely on a single source of information. Check TV for up-to-date information :D

Also today the forum seemed blank. Maybe he's having some technical problems.

Cheers,

Mike

This included electric and water into the house, but not the drilling for water and the pump and the electric meter so they can bill you, which i forget the price but not much.

I would say around 650,000 for the whole lot incl purchase of the land, i was lucky because we had no problems, it also depends on what you like,loads of different prices for things, best idea is to get some address of building suppliers and write down the different prices, as buying in bulk 1 or 2 baht price difference can save you loads in the end!

Its 12 metres long and 10 metres wide, so i guess 120sq metres, i wanted a outdoor eating area undercover so 4 sq meter was left for the table and chairs.

Where in Thailand are you going to build? The land in Issan is alot cheaper than say Pattaya or Koh Samui, and the builders will charge you alot more i would double that money for a place in those areas maybe more! Let me know more what you plan to do. Good luck. More pics below...

Thanks for the info really helped to get an idea of the cost planning to build in Sisaket so getting some info from that area is very useful :)

120 sqm or there about would suit us fine still a year or so away before any build is going to get started.

Yes, I'm sure Pepper's was there before; which goes to show you can't rely on a single source of information. Check TV for up-to-date information :D

Cheers,

Mike

You are correct phibunmike, we were there before but it seems that I have upset the owner somehow and was promptly removed for my indiscretions! :D

and where was Takiang located?? :)

That would be Ban Ta Kiang, it is located on Uppalian Rd, just passed the road to the airport. It is on the left hand side maybe a hundred meters or so before you get to Ali's restaurant. It has been there since before I first came to Ubon. Features Thai country music or songs of life as it is sometimes called.

and where was Takiang located?? :)

That would be Ban Ta Kiang, it is located on Uppalian Rd, just passed the road to the airport. It is on the left hand side maybe a hundred meters or so before you get to Ali's restaurant. It has been there since before I first came to Ubon. Features Thai country music or songs of life as it is sometimes called.

Don't know this one but have been to similar places of the same name in other Isaan towns. Takiang = traditional oil lamp = ตะเกียง.

Can I ask what you paid to have it built and how big it is?

Looking to have something similar build but have little to no clue on the price.

Thanks

Really nice looking cottage, amazingly cheap! I notice you did not build the land up at all before building, is your area prone to flooding? All the new builds around Sisaket tend to build the land up about 1.5 M before building so as to avoid damage during the inevitable yearly inundation. I envy you the relaxed lifestyle you will have there. Good luck for your future.