Red Shirts Expected To Cause Chaos In January

webfact

Red shirts expected to cause chaos in January

By Piyanart Srivalo

The Nation

Published on December 2, 2009

The red shirts could be expected to create an environment of fear and cause turmoil in January because the Pheu Thai Party is making plans to bring down the government through mass rallies and a no-confidence motion, a Cabinet source said yesterday.

In his report to the Cabinet, Deputy Prime Minister Suthep Thaugsuban said he did not expect any incidents between December 1 and 14 because that's the period when royal ceremonies would be held, though small protests can be expected from December 15 to 31.

He added that a mass rally is probably planned after New Year's Day celebrations to January 21.

"Pheu Thai will definitely be holding mass rallies to incite hatred before it resorts to parliamentary means to oust the administration," Suthep said.

He added that the political situation from now until New Year's Day did not look worrisome, though the authorities should watch out for sabotage in public places similar to the incidents in 2006. Police have been instructed to boost security during the period.

Deputy government spokesman Watchara Kannikar said Suthep also believed that the red shirts would be unable to mobilise enough of a crowd before New Year's Day. However, the government does expect small rallies to be held in January when the Parliament will be reconvening and the Opposition is planning to launch a no-confidence motion against the premier.

National Security Council secretary-general Thawil Pliansi said it was believed that the red shirts would avoid staging rallies in December because not only would it be disrespectful to His Majesty, it would also offend the public. Besides, he said, they were probably discouraged because they thought the government was far too well prepared to handle the situation.

The Cabinet yesterday approved the lifting of the Internal Security Act that was enforced in the capital since November 28. However, the police have been given the job of maintaining security, and the military would only be deployed if things get worse.

The government deemed it appropriate to lift the security law because the red shirts have called off their planned rallies and have not rescheduled them so far.

nationlogo.jpg

-- The Nation 2009/12/2

[newsfooter][/newsfooter]

I understand the cooperation between The Nation and Thaivisa, but sometimes it's becoming quite dull with the one-sided stream of Thailand news, exclusively by The Nation, published on News Clippings.

Isn't there anything else -source wise- the audience on Thaivisa can "consume" other than The Nation ? :)

LaoPo

It was announced in September '09 that big protests by Red shirts were going to happen. Didn't happen. Indeed, we've been told, via newspapers, nearly every one of the past months would be dire re; Red Shirt protests, and nothing much has happened. At most there have been threats by roving pockets of punks - but no mass rallies.

The Nation piece was opinion and conjecture, and not based on any pronouncements by Red Shirt leaders (is that an oxymoron?). Do all Thai newspapers print opinion pieces on their front pages - disguised as news?

The Red Shirts are fading fast as a force to be reckoned with. Their Humpty Dumpty leader has fallen off too many walls and all his 'yes men' and those with their hands out for endless scheckles can't put him together again. Goodbye T and your Red blot upon Thailand. A majority of Thais won't miss you when you fade from the front pages - though the newspapers will miss you, as you sell a lot of papers (so did Saddam Hussein in his heyday of causing mischief and grief for millions).

It was announced in September '09 that big protests by Red shirts were going to happen. Didn't happen. Indeed, we've been told, via newspapers, nearly every one of the past months would be dire re; Red Shirt protests, and nothing much has happened. At most there have been threats by roving pockets of punks - but no mass rallies.

The Nation piece was opinion and conjecture, and not based on any pronouncements by Red Shirt leaders (is that an oxymoron?). Do all Thai newspapers print opinion pieces on their front pages - disguised as news?

The Red Shirts are fading fast as a force to be reckoned with. Their Humpty Dumpty leader has fallen off too many walls and all his 'yes men' and those with their hands out for endless scheckles can't put him together again. Goodbye T and your Red blot upon Thailand. A majority of Thais won't miss you when you fade from the front pages - though the newspapers will miss you, as you sell a lot of papers (so did Saddam Hussein in his heyday of causing mischief and grief for millions).

"Besides, he said, they were probably discouraged because they thought the government was far too well prepared to handle the situation". The government too well prepared??? :):D:D That would be a first. Who comes up with this sh it?

I understand the cooperation between The Nation and Thaivisa, but sometimes it's becoming quite dull with the one-sided stream of Thailand news, exclusively by The Nation, published on News Clippings.

Isn't there anything else -source wise- the audience on Thaivisa can "consume" other than The Nation ? :)

LaoPo

Can't agree more with you,I understand that The nation is the newspartner but it seems like if they publish only 1 subject in the whole of their paper.

Don't kill the messenger because you don't like the message.....

This has nothing to do with not liking the message.First of all as so many times has been posted on this forum by certain posters who seem to have 2 rules,one for themselves and another for the rest of the members,I am a guest in this country so I obbey by the rules of my host.

Second I am not into politics of this particular country as I don't have the right to because again I'm only a guest.

Third is that the TV rules say not to post negative comments about Thai people,in my opinion Thaksin is however a fugitive convicted person still a Thai national,so I don't have the right to post or encourage negative comments against him.

And last of all it seems from the news items published that The Nation is extremely one sided and that get a bit boring if it is spread over the TV homepage day after day.

I think I'm not alone in my opinion. :)

Isn't there anything else -source wise- the audience on Thaivisa can "consume" other than The Nation ? :D

LaoPo

Maybe you can recommend some interesting sources, rather than generalizing about the Thaivisa "Audience"! :)

Of course the reds are going to cause chaos in January. Everyone knows this, and everyone knows why. Its D Day for Thaksin in regard to his money. It won't work, and will just end up turning more people against him.
Everyone knows this, and everyone knows why

I wouldn't bet on it

Third is that the TV rules say not to post negative comments about Thai people,in my opinion Thaksin is however a fugitive convicted person still a Thai national,so I don't have the right to post or encourage negative comments against him.

I think you've got this completely wrong. The rule is about negative comments about Thai people in general. For example, saying things like Thai women are all for sale. (Not saying that, just giving an example). Talking negatively about SPECIFIC Thai individuals when there are grounds to do so, that I believe is totally OK. For example here in Pattaya a moto taxi rider was recently accused of rape. Of course we can say negative things about him, a Thai national!

Edited by Jingthing

Don't kill the messenger because you don't like the message.....

This has nothing to do with not liking the message.First of all as so many times has been posted on this forum by certain posters who seem to have 2 rules,one for themselves and another for the rest of the members,I am a guest in this country so I obbey by the rules of my host.

Second I am not into politics of this particular country as I don't have the right to because again I'm only a guest.

And last of all it seems from the news items published that The Nation is extremely one sided and that get a bit boring if it is spread over the TV homepage day after day.

I think I'm not alone in my opinion. :)

If "negative criticism", Negativity about a certain person and his actions hit the truth and are verified by the very individuals and legal actions, it still remains the irrevocable truth - no matter what point is being made - I am afraid.

So any eventuality of "blackmailing" lacks substance and so with "Negativity" is applied trough the very deeds and it's reflections of the concerned Individual and is therefor not to be gauged as "negative" as in "bad", from a 3rd party, the damage is caused by the person him/herself as a result of karma, a practicing Buddhist should know, but then maybe he is way too much entangled into animism and black magic!

For each and everyone there is a price to win and a price to pay!

Everyone has the chance of choice, once the choice is made, the wheels start rolling, unstoppable...unless one is willing to make a major u-turn - there is forgiveness in this world!

Bullying isnt much welcomed' by anybody, anywhere!

LaoPo

Technically, it's news reporting - citing one un-named cabinet source, then citing Suthep, then citing a named spokesman citing Suthep..... meaning you could be forgiven for thinking it's all from Suthep..... but then again - so what? It's sloppy writing that wouldn't be acceptable in most "quality" news media but there's no shortage of examples like this in both The Nation and Bangkok Post - and thus there's no reason to dwell on TVF's business partner. Except, of course, we don't get to see the Post material reproduced here.

There are other English language resources out there - people should check them out and post here on TVF what they think is relevant to the discussion. Of course, quoting from/linking to blogs that contain opposing views will predictably attract the neat comment (from those who disagree with those views) that "it's only a blog" i.e. worthless. That seems a curious attitude when the same posters often seem happy to treat all Nation opinion pieces (some) packed with speculation, inaccuracies and unsupported claims almost as if they were holy writ. Quality blogs cite linked references to back up their commentary. As seen from the responses posted on them, readers are quick to identify where they think the blog writer has jumped to unsupported or irrational conclusions; the better blogs are not aimed at just lock-step devotees of the blogger's views and IMO have a valuable contribution to make.

Now again in December.....

http://www.tannetwork.tv/tan/ViewData.aspx?DataID=1021886

Red Shirts Announce to Rally on Dec 10

UPDATE : 2 December 2009

Leaders of the Democratic Alliance Against Dictatorship or DAAD have announced they will stage a rally at Democracy Monument on Constitution Day, Dec 10. They outwardly dared the government to evoke Internal Security Act again.

(for the moderator: Tannetwork allows to copy/paste their news with link)