TOT 3G Launches Today

webfact

Still wondering about the D-TAC which did connect via Edge ("E" shown on the top of the display, instead of "G" if it was only normal GPRS) but was still dog slow.

The speeds you mention above are slower than my AIS GPRS running on an old moto here under Ubuntu, so I would suspect they have not enabled / provisioned your SIM for the service yet.

Then what speeds are you getting on AIS?

0,21 Mbps down is 210 Kbps, very close to what Edge is capable of (236,8 Kbps). And this speed is only possible when having full signal strength.

Actually Edge can go double that speed, but then the network would have to give you 8 time slots, where normally all Thai networks only allow 4 slots (and actually most of he world as well, giving 8 time slots eats up the entire capacity, both voice and data, of a GSM cell very quickly).

• Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Hi :)

@Monty

Both the U800 and the L700 simply show "3G" in blue when the phone is logged in on that network (the network name itself is indicated as "TOT Mobile"), and the icon turns red when an online connection/data transfer takes place. On a GPRS connection a "G" is shown in that same place, and an Edge connection is indicated by an "E". rest assured that my SIM card is Edge-enabled as i have been using that for some time, in fact up north it was my only way to get online before i got me a CAT CDMA phone (as AIS has no signal there and the D-TAC signal is mediocre but available, CAT however comes in full blast).

I do by now believe that the U800 does not "do" HSDPA on 1,900 MHz, i have just checked and even my boyfriend's phone, a Samsung Jet S8003, does not support it - HSDPA only on 900 (!) and 2,100 Mhz, but not 1,900. And the last 3G capable phone in my collection (also belonging to my boyfriend), a Samsung U900, does not support it either - it "does" HSDPA on 850 (!) and 2,100.

HOWEVER!!

Lucky to have a Thai boyfriend. I have the TOT leaflet in hand (photo!) and it mentions there very clearly that it IS ON 2,100 MHz!! Very clearly but in Thai which is why that bit of info slipped me.

So what the heck? if it IS indeed 2,100 MHz then how and why (license??) or is this something like misleading advertising..? As mentioned the network is detected (manual network search) as "ACT 1900".

*confused*

And if it is indeed 2,100 MHz and HSDPA (which my U800 then supports) why is it so slow? Or back to the "no HSDPA for pre-paid" conspiracy?

Too many questions...........

Kind regards.....

Thanh

post-13387-1260285317_thumb.jpg

Weird, they sholdn't be on 2.1 Ghz, they (nobody) simply isn't allowed to transmit on that frequency!

I read it as well originally, nut then read somewhere else that in wait for the license they would be using the 1900 Mhz band, for which they are licensed!

As far as I'm aware, TOT has had the rights to use 1885 - 1900 Mhz, 1965 – 1980 Mhz and 2155-2170 Mhz since 1999 but never got a clear indication whether 3G could be offered or not. They used the first two frequency set for GSM 1900 to run the unsuccessful Thai Mobile 1900.

I'm quite sure their new offering is on the 2100 band since my old Nokia E71 (a UMTS 900/2100 Mhz phone) can see the network. For UMTS 2100, you need some bandwidth between 1920-1980 Mhz for the uplink and 2110-2170 Mhz for the downlink (see wikipedia article: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/UMTS_frequency_bands). You'll also see that there's an overlap between the uplink of 2100 and downlink of 1900, that's why they had to take down the GSM 1900 network to make space (also see: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/GSM_frequency_bands).

The licenses waiting to be auctioned off are 1920-1965 Mhz and 2110-2155 Mhz. This also makes sense since NTC did come out earlier and say they were going to be auctioning off 3 x 10 Mhz and 1 x 15 Mhz blocks. This is a total of 45 Mhz left currently unlicensed on both the downlink and uplink for the 2100 band.

Edit: to correct wikipedia links

Edited by paveet

Hello again.

After some fiddling i got it online on Windows - the key is the fact that, using one of the pre-configured ISP's (AIS, D-TAC, True) and modifying the dial-up number (pretty much the only item, apart from the APN, that can be modified) won't work - however on Windows i had the option to create a new one with choosing "other" in both country and ISP.... no such option on Ubuntu (grr!) and got it online with the L700.

Speed-wise i am disappointed though - granted that phone doesn't have HSDPA however the much-hyped 3G without that "turbo" isn't all that fast..... 0.40 mbps down, 0.36 mbps up to a server in Bangkok.

Maybe i'll have to get a phone with HSDPA and try again :)

Best regards.....

Thanh

Thanks a lot for the info. I hope you get it to work on Ubuntu somehow.

When is it coming and how can I get it?

It's actually here right now (in Bangkok anyway).

I assume you get it in any TOT office

This is their website, as usual in Thai only, even though they do fullpage adverts in English!

http://www.tot3g.net/

And even better, available as pre-paid simcard, so you can try for very little money.

• 3 weeks later...

Signed up this afternoon, got the 799 post pay package. Speedtest on the iPhone showed 4mbit download, 225kbit upload. Currently got the sim on the G1 as it's got better tethering options. Have 4 laptops coming off of it, one of which is playing a UK tv stream. Not too bad at all.

I'm in east Bangkok, spitting distance from Fashion Island, for coverage's sake.

Yes it does. Funny when i'm on 3G, i get only 2/3 bars maximum, when i do not have a data link, i get all 5 bars.

When i'm in Vietnam, my data link goes from 3G to E showing it's fallen back to EDGE, in Bangkok, it just goes blank :)

I wonder if TOT are being silly and have a different APN name for EDGE...

• 3 months later...

Need some help with I-Mobile's 3G service thru TOT in Bangkok....

I did a good thing the other day, updating the firmware on my Nokia phone. And did a bad thing too, forgetting the upgrade would wipe out the 3G access point settings the I-Mobile folks at Central World had originally set on my phone...

Cen World is long goners... And I was going to head down to MBK tomorrow, but last night's fireworks festivities canceled that plan... And as folks have already learned, their phone support is next to worthless...

So...can someone with I-Mobile 3G take a quick look at their Access Point settings and post the correct info to fill in here....

Connection Name:

Data Bearer:

Access Point Name:

User Name:

Prompt Password: yes or no

Password:

Authentication: Normal or secure

Thanks much... Like to get my 3G back working again...

Need some help with I-Mobile's 3G service thru TOT in Bangkok....

I did a good thing the other day, updating the firmware on my Nokia phone. And did a bad thing too, forgetting the upgrade would wipe out the 3G access point settings the I-Mobile folks at Central World had originally set on my phone...

Cen World is long goners... And I was going to head down to MBK tomorrow, but last night's fireworks festivities canceled that plan... And as folks have already learned, their phone support is next to worthless...

So...can someone with I-Mobile 3G take a quick look at their Access Point settings and post the correct info to fill in here....

Connection Name:

Data Bearer:

Access Point Name: internet

User Name:

Password:

try internet for apn.

edit: by the way, no user and password

Edited by LuckyFive8888

Connection Name:

Data Bearer:

Access Point Name:

User Name:

Password:

Well, maybe I'll answer my own questions.... I did some further checking online, and found some useful info, and got my I-Mobile 3G connection working again...

I looked at the following web site and then used Google translate... I also followed the link on that page with the settings info for Nokia phones...

The upshot appears to be... they say to just use "Internet" for both the Connection Name and Access Point Name. I kept that setting for the Access Point name.

But I changed the Connection Name (which is just the name you see when you decide what connection to choose on your phone's menu) to "TOT 3G", which is a bit more specific and useful for me. And the connection worked fine either way....as long as I didn't change the Access Point Name.

Everything else was no info... no user name, no password, no prompt for password, and I choose "Normal" for Authentication (the only other choice was "Secure"....

Back to 3G on my mobile.. Life is good.... :)

And actually, TOT even has an English language web page of their own that has all the 3G settings instruction for a variety of phone makes and models, including Nokia, Sony, I-Mobile and HTC handsets...

Even easier...not having to go thru Google translate...

TOT's English language version web site for 3G settings is here....

Obviously, the TOT settings work for those of us using I-Mobile's 3G service, since I-Mobile is just a re-seller of service on the TOT 3G network.