Help I Did Something Wrong

traveldog

Hi,

I have done something very bad and am hoping that there is hope. I switched user names on my computer...I was bored looking at "Administrator" and changed the name....lo and behold when I turned on my computer again....not only was the name changed but now all my data is gone....It is almost like having a new computer....but the things I have lost-I know I should have backed everything up....but I didn't. So is there anything I can do? Should I go to the computer shop? Just hoping you guys can help, Thanks

Quick guess. Go to c:/Documents and Settings/

Good advise.

How did you rename the user account? If you used the Windows User Account panel to change your name (where you can also change the small picture displayed on the login screen and the start menu), then this should not affect the file system at all. It only changes the display name assigned, the system user name remains the same.

If you explain what you did maybe we can figure out what happened.

welo

I think i know what you did, i done the same, i have to short cut all my desktop icons again, but you did not lose anything.

As say c:/Documents and Settings is the answer for document and photo.

i now take a capture of my desktop to remember what i use

Thanks all who answered my request. Well I am not sure what I did....actually I just wanted to change the name...but, documents/settings didn't help me a bit. however I used system restore and went back one day and everything is fine now. Truly I won't do that again, and am just happy that I have all my documents, settings, pics etc....again thanks to all. I didn't get back sooner because I was in Nakorn for the fathers day festivities without computer. Cheers