Visiting A Inmate At The Womens Prison

middlepath

Has anyone on TV or do you know anyone who has visited a inmate at the women's prison in Chiang Mai.

Here's the scoop. A girl I know (yes a bar girl) was caught with a few yaba pills and received 5 years.

Not sure how much they end up doing time wise but 5 years is a long time. Also read a nice actical

on that prison as far as prisons go.

Now before anyone says she should rot in jail or whatever, and yes maybe she got what she deserved I'd

still if possible like to visit her if possible. I like her as a person and if I can make her life even a tad easier I would like to.

Wonder if you can buy them things at the jail store?

Plus I need to get her legal name which is possible.

Thanks guys any help would be appreciated.

ps, yes she is Thai and I am a falong.

i admire any FARANG, or anyone else for that matter..helping someone in need, and helping them WITHOUT ulterior motives..the right hand does not tell the left hand what it did..throw the good deed into the ocean, the waves will come back to bless you..good luck, god bless

Inmates are allowed a 15 minute visit per day, not weekend or holidays. They have recently increased this now and I'm not sure if it just the well behaved prisoners or everyone, but you can have a second 15 minutes, but you have to go out and go through the whole entry process again.

You will need the girls proper name, can't help you with that one.

When you visit, take your passport and go to the check in counter.

If you want to take her food this is to be left in the room at the back of the checkin, they will stab it to death with a knife looking for anything that shouldn't be in there.

It might be better, if you want to give her something to go to the cashier next to the checkin and pay an amount into the girls name, they will give you a receipt and she will have a credit to use at the prison shop.

Empty out your pockets before you checkin, also mobiles are not allowed in.

They have had a change of suprintendant at the prison recently who said the women were eating too much and has cut their rations, quite a few girls with some big weight losses.

Of course they are moving to the new prison about new yearI think and this is a bit further out.

Wow, to get that much time for a few pills, it's so sad. They need to go after the sellers, not the users, no matter what anyone says it's an addiction that is very hard to beat, seen my cousin waste his whole life on drugs, gave my aunt such hardship, he tired to quit many times, I guess the urge is just too much. Really wish someone could find a way to really help the users.

Wish you and her all the best..

I also respect your good intentions. However, I would suggest that you consider using a trusted Thai as a third party to make the visits - as a guest in this country the wisdom of being directly associated with an inmate convicted of a drug related offence is questionable.

JxP

I used to visit a friend in the woman's prison in Chiang Mai. The following may have changed by now.

As mentioned in another reply post take along your passport or Thai Driving license, if you a have one, to the Administration Office on the opposite side of the road from the prison. You will need the complete Thai name of the lady in jail, and ideally a Thai fiend to help you complete the necessary form. Once processed you will have to wait until they call out your name to proceed to the prison to wait again until admission to the meeting room.

As mentioned there is a security check - so you would be wise not to take along your mobile telephone. Although difficult to interpret you are allocated a 'window' number and communication is via 'telephone'. I suppose that 15 minutes is all that you get so better it make it quick.

Next to the Admistration office is a type of restaurant where you can supply the Thai name of the inmate and order and pay for food for them. It used to be that you could top-up a cash allowance.

Hope that this helps.

Gladiator