Buying New Car, Best Deals?

My old car is beginning to become a bit costly, sometimes 5000 baht a month on repairs sometimes so I am thinking of getting a new one.

I heard once that Bangkok prices are cheaper than Upcountry?

Does anyone know a good dealer in Bangkok?

I am looking for credit, is there anyplae I don't have to pay a down payment?

I am skint right now.

I am looking to pay about 5,000 baht a month.

Not too fussy on the type of car, may even have to consider a pick-up, which although I don't like have some advantages(price) over a saloon.

I have a work permit so should be no problem, I think.

5,000 a month would mean paying for at least 10 years on a 600,000 baht vehicle, about the cheapest price there is for a new vehicle. And then there is the interest for 10 years...

The only folks I know who've bought a cheap vehicle like that on contract are paying 15,000 a month, plus they paid 20% down. I don't even know if 100% is ever done...

For myself, I hate credit. I figure if I don't have the price in my pocket, I can't afford it. It took me a loooong time before I could afford a new car.

Good luck, Neeranam. Where there's will, there's a way for you, I hope. :o

5,000 a month would mean paying for at least 10 years on a 600,000 baht vehicle, about the cheapest price there is for a new vehicle. And then there is the interest for 10 years...

The only folks I know who've bought a cheap vehicle like that on contract are paying 15,000 a month, plus they paid 20% down. I don't even know if 100% is ever done...

For myself, I hate credit. I figure if I don't have the price in my pocket, I can't afford it. It took me a loooong time before I could afford a new car.

Good luck, Neeranam. Where there's will, there's a way for you, I hope. 

Ajarn,

Maybe you are right, 15,000 is way too much, half my salary.

I could maybe manage 7/8 thousand a month.

maybe I will put it off for a while and try to save a 'down'.

My old car is beginning to become a bit costly, sometimes 5000 baht a month on repairs sometimes so I am thinking of getting a new one.

I am skint right now.

Not too fussy on the type of car, may even have to consider a pick-up, which although I don't like have some advantages(price) over a saloon.

Taxexile! Either make friends with him or marry one of his sisters-in-law! :o

Good luck, Neeranam. Where there's will, there's a way for you, I hope.  :o

I only know the other version :'where there's a will, there's a bush, to hide behind'

But buying a car on monthly payment appears to be very costly, as the dealers in Thailand make you pay interest not only on the remaining price after downpayment, BUT ALSO ON THE DOWNPAYMENT! and the interest rates are quite high!

would suggest any other solution : smaller car, second hand? or saving and waiting a bit?

5.000/month is definitely out of the equation anyway for a new car!

some companies had to take back cars from people who couldn't afford the monthly rates anymore, looking for one of these?

If you are a falang, you have to put 40% down, unless you have w/p and a credit history.

If you have a Thai wife - yes you need the peice of paper, and she has a respectable and well paid job(just quoting the finance company - not my words), with a savings history at a bank, you can get those amazing deals they advertise.

Me I paid 40% down and negotiated a whole lot of stuff including no interest.

It is very hard to snap your fingers and get 220,000 baht, but you have to do it.

I am skint right now.

Generally it is a bad idea to go the finance route, but this might turn out to be the ideal time to do just that -- especially if you have funds overseas and bring them in let's say once, twice or more often -- as opposed to all at once.

If this does not apply to you, OK then disregard.

The Thai Baht is going to head towards 50 -- it has already started its journey, but it will take time to get there. Interest rates are also heading upwards.

With a fixed low rate of interest and a low down payment -- drive & own the car now and let the >10% currency gain cover all Interest costs and then some.

Banks have been socking it to us for aeons -- Alan G, God, Allah or maybe even Moses have given us this window of opportunity -- hehehehe :o

Only if it applies to your particular situation, Neeranam! If you have very little money and are dependent on a local salary, it does not apply to you.

Taxexile! Either make friends with him or marry one of his sisters-in-law!

i did ask my brother in law about him buying more toyotas to sell on using his discount connections , but alas , they have to go through his companys' books as company cars and remain registered with his company for 12months.

all the sisters are spoken for.

try expat motors

www.expatmotors.co th

for what look like decent used cars in the 250k to 400k range , and advice on finance.

or look at a new suzuki caribbean , about 380,000b , a useful , economical go anywhere 4wd , but a small one.

i did ask my brother in law about him buying more toyotas to sell on using his discount connections , but alas , they have to go through his companys' books as company cars and remain registered with his company for 12months.

all the sisters are spoken for.

try expat motors

www.expatmotors.co th

for what look like decent used cars in the 250k to 400k range , and advice on finance.

or look at a new suzuki caribbean , about 380,000b , a useful , economical go anywhere 4wd , but a small one.

Tax, this is not the Suzuki Caribbean sporty you're referring to or is it?

Thought that was the smallest model and that the price was around 500K?

If 380K is correct, that is one heck of a steal -- used to own a Caribbean in Phuket and it was pretty good -- and cheap to maintain too.

I think I am missing something here :o
But buying a car on monthly payment appears to be very costly, as the dealers in Thailand make you pay interest not only on the remaining price after downpayment, BUT ALSO ON THE DOWNPAYMENT! and the interest rates are quite high!

Interesting, I thought they were giving 0% interest on new cars.

If you are a falang, you have to put 40% down, unless you have w/p and a credit history.

If you have a Thai wife - yes you need the peice of paper, and she has a respectable and well paid job(just quoting the finance company - not my words), with a savings history at a bank, you can get those amazing deals they advertise.

I have a work permit but no credit history, which also, of course, means not bad history. My wife is Thai, earing 10,000 baht a month, is this well paid? In Isarn I think it is. No savings history, as if I should be so lucky!
The Thai Baht is going to head towards 50 -- it has already started its journey, but it will take time to get there. Interest rates are also heading upwards.

I was speaking to a mate yesterday who was saying that there is going to be a repeat of '97'. I guess I am doing the right thing waiting for a year before buying a house. Is this really going to happen? At least I am in a secure job with a fixed salary(Goverment). Maybe it is not so secure. The 97 crash did not seem to affect me at all.

www.expatmotors.co th

Thanks for that Taxex., I'm looking into it.

I just got back from the garage, 2500 for a new starting motor and an oil change and saving me yesterday, not bad. Good news - the guy offered me 60,000 bhat for the car I bought 6 months ago for 55,000 Baht. I have never heard of second hand cars appeciating in value! I very nearly sold it right on the spot, thinking about it now.

I think I am missing something here :o

Taxexile has family in the car business and can get large discounts.

Interesting, I thought they were giving 0% interest on new cars.

Interest here is calculated in a weird way -- ends up costing you more than you think.

I was speaking to a mate yesterday who was saying that there is going to be a repeat of '97'. I guess I am doing the right thing waiting for a year before buying a house. Is this really going to happen? At least I am in a secure job with a fixed salary(Goverment). Maybe it is not so secure. The 97 crash did not seem to affect me at all.

Your mate is correct. This coming crash will certainly affect you and in more ways than just financially -- count on it! And, crashes here are synonimous with Baht weakening immensely.

Roughly same experience as mattnich.40% deposit and next to no interest.Also lots of extras.Visited about 20 dealers around the country and all had the same deals. Some offered the world, but the next day told you the finance company had turned you down.The no deposit schemes,and no interest seem a con. Was told my wife would have to be on 30000 baht a month to comply with rules.Finally bought in Korat where I picked the car up the next day after instant acceptance.

I just bought a Toyota Hilux, 2dr extended cab, 2.7 Auto fully loaded from Toyota Pattaya. Put down 39,000 Baht and the monthly repayments are just over 10,000 per month. The interest isn't brilliant at 3.9% but what the heck!

If you went for a Toyota Soluna, down payment is around 38,000 and the monthly paymsnt around about 8,000 Baht.

Good luck and happy hunting!

This coming crash will certainly affect you and in more ways than just financially -- count on it!

In what ways?

Antifarang sentiment in spades!

The discepancy in wherewithal between the haves and havenots will stick out like a sore thumb when the economy heads south in earnest sometime in the second half of this year. Expected to be far worse than 1997.