Chang Mai Trip

TheAceFace

Hi Guy's

Thinking of bringing the family over around new year, never been before so I would appreciate some insight please.

There will be 6 adults and 2 children, can anybody recommend a decent hotel in a central location with reasonable prices? Ideally near shopping and nightlife places. Is Chang Mai packed around new year?

Any good trips / sight seeing tour worth going on / good places where the kids can have fun?

Thanks in advance

Ace

I always stay at the Royal Lanna.

Right on the Night Bazaar.

Royal Lanna

I'm not getting at your recommendation in particular, but several recent threads along the same lines have recently appeared on the board and I find it hard to understand the attraction of a hotel being near the night market.

OK, most tourists visit it at least once but residents generally agree that both weekly Walking Street markets offer more interesting experiences and so it's not the be all and end all as far as a CM bargain hunting goes. So why do posters keep sending their guests to stay close to it?

During the day, the area is bleak, filled with tourist trap restaurants or international franchises, shoals of predatory Tuk-Tuk drivers and, in my view at least, decidedly underwhelming.

I generally suggest The Montri (and now the Amora on the basis of a friend's report about it recently) because the immediate surroundings offer so much more. I can see that tourists new to CM might go for the "stone's throw from the night market" line in the brochure but imagined that maybe we knew a little better.

Just my opinion, but it would seem to me that a "central" location in Chiang Mai would now be located out towards Huay Khao and Neeman. This area is rocking while the old tourist areas are quiet. The night market is interesting for perhaps one night. I think that the two old grand dames of Chiang Mai hotels, the Orchid and the Amari Rincome, are now screaming deals given the revitalization of that area.

As for fun trips with kids, just head up north to the elephant camps and up to the Chiang Dao caves. The Mae Sa Valley road has countless road side attractions for kids. Go further, get high (in elevation that is) then drop down into Samoeng and head a few extra kilometers over towards Mae Sap and take the kids into the small bat-filled cave on your left for some extra thrills.

I always stay at the Royal Lanna.

Right on the Night Bazaar.

Royal Lanna

I'm not getting at your recommendation in particular, but several recent threads along the same lines have recently appeared on the board and I find it hard to understand the attraction of a hotel being near the night market.

OK, most tourists visit it at least once but residents generally agree that both weekly Walking Street markets offer more interesting experiences and so it's not the be all and end all as far as a CM bargain hunting goes. So why do posters keep sending their guests to stay close to it?

During the day, the area is bleak, filled with tourist trap restaurants or international franchises, shoals of predatory Tuk-Tuk drivers and, in my view at least, decidedly underwhelming.

I generally suggest The Montri (and now the Amora on the basis of a friend's report about it recently) because the immediate surroundings offer so much more. I can see that tourists new to CM might go for the "stone's throw from the night market" line in the brochure but imagined that maybe we knew a little better.

The walking street markets are one day a week markets that don't fit in with everybody's visit. The Night Bazaar may well be more expensive than walking street but there are still plenty of bargains, and it is still very cheap for most things, espescially relative to Europe. Besides, some people buy things because they like them, not just because they are cheap. 

Most tourist are here for 2 or 3 days and spend the day-time doing trips out of town, so the fact that the Night bazaar is quiet during the day is irrelevant. When they return home from their trip they can relax, have a shower and then step out of their hotel right into the hustle and bustle of an extensive interesting market, with lots of cheap local food stalls (Anusarn and Galare food centre). If they so choose, there is also a good choice of International Bars and Restaurants. I don't think Tapae Gate area is that interesting at night personally, and many family tourists wouldn't be impressed by the numerous grotty girly bars "a stones throw" from The Montri.

Just out of curiosity, what is a 'tourist trap restaurant', and how do they ensnare their prey? And, by the way, during the day there are very few (predatory? :)  ) Tuk-tuks in the Night Bazaar because there isn't much day-time business. No shoals, that I've noticed.

I can see why residents might not want to go to the Night Bazaar, but most tourists like it. Many expats may think they know better but sometimes, if they've been here too long, they forget how interesting the Night Bazaar still is to new-comers. Also, some expats become quite cynical and negative after a while and have a constant fear of being 'ripped off' and feel that they are being preyed upon. The reaity is that most Europeans are being ripped off every day of the year in their own country and the Night bazaar is a welcome, pleasant, interesting and enjoyable bargain-filled break from that. At least, that's what my customers tell me.

PS - My application for the job with Chiang Mai Tourist Board (Night Bazaar branch) is in the post.

Edited by KevinHunt

Thanks for info guy's.

Been reading about the various watering holes too, are they all fairly central and with in walking distance? My wife has family in or around CM so I think they will be ok and be kept busy, I am trying to source things for my parents to do aswell as the kids activities / trips during the day.

Good venues for New years eve?

Again thanks

Ace

The walking street markets are one day a week markets that don't fit in with everybody's visit. The Night Bazaar may well be more expensive than walking street but there are still plenty of bargains, and it is still very cheap for most things, espescially relative to Europe. Besides, some people buy things because they like them, not just because they are cheap.

I don't think Tapae Gate area is that interesting at night personally, and many family tourists wouldn't be impressed by the numerous grotty girly bars "a stones throw" from The Montri.

For the love of god, not another Red Lion self promotional thread, enough already.

I'm starting to get what chiang mai is talking about. The Red Lion is in the Night Bazzar - which is dead in the daytime, more expensive than the Thapae Gate area and and has plenty of it's own grotty girly and boy bars. :)

Edited by Ulysses G.

Royal Lanna is great for residents (7000bht a month) and has a nice swimming pool, but no good for a day or two at 1200bht a night.

How about Top North Guest House in MoonMuang Soy 2, nice pool, rooms with 4 beds if you have kids for between 300 and 500bht a night. Mandalay night club is a noise pain though.

When I'm in town that's where I stay.

I would probably vote for the night baazar area as it is active at night and very easy to get transport to and from, there are loads of night time pubs / bars close at hand suitable for all the family like the red lion and o'malleys.

one important factor to consider is if you want to be lumbered with a compulory new years eve dinner etc. these usually cost quite a lot and as you have paid for them almost dictate what you will be doing on new years eve, for example, i would normally recomend the suriwongse hotel but they will bop you for a compulsory 1800 per adult and 1500 per child (more than the room costs). places like the downtown inn dont have this compulsory charge but are a little "tired" although the staff are great according to many of my contacts that stay there. check out the usual booking sites. feel free to pm for more info.

Thanks again guy's

Looking forward to the trip, is the climate cool also now?

Yes the climate is pretty cool now.

I'm on the fence on the Thapae Gate vs Night Bazaar debate, both pretty good locations because any tuk tuk or songtaew you use will know either location. They also both have a lot of restaurants, bars and shops in the vacinity. Saying that they are also I'd say about 15 mins walking distance from each other so it doesn't really matter either way.

Kevin and UG both have a vested interest in there respective areas, as for girlie bars etc Loi kroh isn't a million miles away from the Night Bazaar :)

Thanks again guy's

I'm on the fence on the Thapae Gate vs Night Bazaar debate, both pretty good locations because any tuk tuk or songtaew you use will know either location. They also both have a lot of restaurants, bars and shops in the vacinity. Saying that they are also I'd say about 15 mins walking distance from each other so it doesn't really matter either way.

Kevin and UG both have a vested interest in there respective areas, as for girlie bars etc Loi kroh isn't a million miles away from the Night Bazaar :D

Thanks

Glad to know the locations of both not too far...bit of a happy medium :D Im sure I will frequent both places.

Is it worth booking day trips with the hotel or by individual operators? as for the night time Im sure we'll find our own way. Just trying to juggle things so that everyone will be happy. The bars (non girly :)) are they family orientated in the evenings, are kids welcome...if we were all to go for dinner?

Thanks again guy's

Kevin and UG both have a vested interest in there respective areas, as for girlie bars etc Loi kroh isn't a million miles away from the Night Bazaar :D

Thanks

Glad to know the locations of both not too far...bit of a happy medium :D Im sure I will frequent both places.

Is it worth booking day trips with the hotel or by individual operators? as for the night time Im sure we'll find our own way. Just trying to juggle things so that everyone will be happy. The bars (non girly :)) are they family orientated in the evenings, are kids welcome...if we were all to go for dinner?

I'd say all the restaurants & bars in the area are family / child friendly, The Dukes in the Night Bazaar and near the river both have a kids menu.