Car Rental

robbo1

BUDGET car rental has a branch there. They might be a bit more expensive than a neighborhood rental shop, but might be more reliable too.

http://www.budget.co.th/Locations.aspx

Udon Thani Airport

Address: PTT Gas Station 60/5 Moo 5, Soi Bannongtaolek,

T. Makkang, A. Muang, Udonthani 41000

Phone: +66 (0) 4224 6805

Fax: +66 (0) 4234 6119

E-mail: [email protected]

Mac

BUDGET car rental has a branch there. They might be a bit more expensive than a neighborhood rental shop, but might be more reliable too.

http://www.budget.co.th/Locations.aspx

Udon Thani Airport

Address: PTT Gas Station 60/5 Moo 5, Soi Bannongtaolek,

T. Makkang, A. Muang, Udonthani 41000

Phone: +66 (0) 4224 6805

Fax: +66 (0) 4234 6119

E-mail: [email protected]

Mac

Thanks for that have you heard of LEKS CAR HIRE I saw them on udon website do you know if they are ok

Thanks in advance

Robbo

As Kuhn TMac suggests, I would stick with a major such as Budget unless you intend to hire a car with a driver. The insurance terms of some of the 'neighborhood' renters are in some cases so onerous that I think the rental company almost HOPES that you get into an accident.

I have rented many "cars"over the years in Thailand.What I have found is Avis and Budget are the most expencive BUT I have good insurance and a big company to stand behind me if in an accident.I had rented a truck from a company in Korat once.It was a great truck new,clean,great price and in great shape.The reason I did not rent again from them was because of the insurance thing.They told me if I had an accident to call them right away and to tell the other person that my cousion will be here soon,it is his "car".Come to find out the company really did not have a supply of cars that they owened but a supply of friends that would rent their cars out through the car rental agency.Yes supposedly the cars did have insurance but I would think that if the insurance agent found out that the person was renting out their car the insurance would be no good.

My take on renting a car.....Unless you really know the "mom and pop" company go with the big boys.Better safe then sorry!

• 3 weeks later...

If the big companies don't have the vehicle you required , try Leks.I used them 2 years ago.They have their own website , I believe it is run by a guy called Doug with his Thai wife. They have proper insurance and are a cheaper than the big companies.

Beware of recommendations from Thais at the airport who quite often recommend dodgy companies like " Nice cars".The car may have expired registration, not serviced or looked after properly or lacking sufficient insurance. For a saving of a few hundred baht per day it is not worth the hassle.