Where Are The Geeks & Gurus?

siamquilter

I suggest you work for foreign companies where the demand for talent is greater, not to mention compensation and benefits. That includes international companies with branches in Thailand, foreign companies where it's relatively easy to relocate to (e.g. Singapore), and companies that use 100% telecommuting staff (either contract or salaried--I know Canonical has a handful of employees operating out of Thailand for example).

If you are comfortable with the freelance career style, the various freelancing sites might be a good place to start. If you build up a reputation you can earn about the same as people in the West.

I suggest you work for foreign companies where the demand for talent is greater, not to mention compensation and benefits. That includes international companies with branches in Thailand, foreign companies where it's relatively easy to relocate to (e.g. Singapore), and companies that use 100% telecommuting staff (either contract or salaried--I know Canonical has a handful of employees operating out of Thailand for example).

If you are comfortable with the freelance career style, the various freelancing sites might be a good place to start. If you build up a reputation you can earn about the same as people in the West.

I'm not looking for a job. I'm looking for Thais to fill a position. Sorry I wasn't clear. So where do I post my company's job vacancies to find the Linux types in Thailand.

Thanks.

Sorry I misunderstood.

Unless they absolutely have to be here (e.g. in a data center), you will get far better price-performance hiring people abroad to work. Compensation in Russia and the Estern Bloc is about the same as here, however you'll meet ten qualified candidates and hire one before a decent Thai resume comes across your desk, if at all. I spent some years hiring Linux talent in Thailand. There is plenty of skill but it is all-but impossible firstly to find those people, and secondly to convince them to work for a small company. (If you are a large or foreign company yourself, then you have a decent shot.)

Edited by jhs

Sorry I misunderstood.

Unless they absolutely have to be here (e.g. in a data center), you will get far better price-performance hiring people abroad to work. Compensation in Russia and the Estern Bloc is about the same as here, however you'll meet ten qualified candidates and hire one before a decent Thai resume comes across your desk, if at all. I spent some years hiring Linux talent in Thailand. There is plenty of skill but it is all-but impossible firstly to find those people, and secondly to convince them to work for a small company. (If you are a large or foreign company yourself, then you have a decent shot.)

Thanks for the input. I am looking for someone to compile kernels. Crossing my fingers as I may have found some talent at one of the universities here.