Daft Question

the scouser

I've recently got a new mobile phone which came with software which allows me to download, amongst other things, images stored on my pc to the phone. However, for the life of me, I can't find the infrared port on my computer to facilitate the transfer. Am I going stupid or does not every pc have such a port? Any ideas as to where it may be located? The computer is 2 years old and is made by Hewlet Packard.

Cheers,

Scouse.

I you have a desktop I doubt you will have an IR port by default.

To see if you have go

control panel ->system -> hardware -> device manager

Check to see if you have an infrared device icon.

Did you get a cable with the phone in place of using IR ?

I you have a desktop I doubt you will have an IR port by default.

To see if you have go

control panel ->system -> hardware -> device manager

Check to see if you have an infrared device icon.

Did you get a cable with the phone in place of using IR ?

Thanks for that. I've checked and it appears that I don't have an infrared port :o . I was labouring under the (mis)apprehension that in this day and age they'd come as standard.

You can buy an infrared dongle that plugs into USB ports for your PC, but might be easier just to buy a data cable for your phone.

Thanks too, Crushdepth. I'll take a stroll to the shop tomorrow.

Thanks for your patience in answering my queries, but other than turning the bloody thing on, I have no idea how these things work.

Scouse.

Scouse if you are buying kit then can I suggest you get a Bluetooth dongle (dont you just LOVE that word!)

The data transfer rate is a lot higher than either IR or cable.

Scouse if you are buying kit then can I suggest you get a Bluetooth dongle (dont you just LOVE that word!)

The data transfer rate is a lot higher than either IR or cable.

As long as the phone has Bluetooth as well! If you're interested in going that route Scouse, tell us what phone you have and we can tell if it has Bluetooth

I've recently got a new mobile phone which came with software which allows me to download, amongst other things, images stored on my pc to the phone. However, for the life of me, I can't find the infrared port on my computer to facilitate the transfer. Am I going stupid or does not every pc have such a port? Any ideas as to where it may be located? The computer is 2 years old and is made by Hewlet Packard.

Cheers,

Scouse.

Most laptops in Thailand come with infrared., Look on the side of it and you should see a shiney plastic spot. This is your infrared. maybe there's a switch on the side also that you have to turn on. I have a Toshiba from Thailand and that's how mine works. also, you have to look on your mobile menu and change the settings on the conection to infrared. Hope this helps

The phone is a Sony Ericsson K700i and has Bluetooth as it came with such a headset. You lot aren't winding me up about "dongles", are you? It reminds me of the Not the Nine O'Clock News sketch where the bloke walks into a shop asking for a gramaphone.......... :o

Anyway, thanks all. A Bluetooth dongle it is!

Scouse.

You have several ways to connect your phone to your computer, two of them being:

- infrared: you need to activate infrared ports on your laptop and your phone, then put infrared port of you phone next to the one of your laptop

- bluetooth: you need to buy (and install) a bluetooth card or dongle for your laptop, and then your phone will "find" your laptop

What does a bluetooth dongle look like, does it connect to the port, and roughly how much does it cost?

Also: When bluetooth is connected and on, does that mean my neighbours in the local 10-20 metres will be able to 'suck' all my files out of my laptop?

W.S.

What does a bluetooth dongle look like, does it connect to the port, and roughly how much does it cost?

Also: When bluetooth is connected and on, does that mean my neighbours in the local 10-20 metres will be able to 'suck' all my files out of my laptop?

W.S.

They are a similar size/shape to a USB memory stick and cost around 1000Baht

The coverage range is somewhere around 10m so yes there is a chance of abuse by others if not set correctly.

BT security works by a key exchange which is done when the devices are initially paired. As long as you stop the 'discover' option as soon as you pair you should be fine.

I have just posted a new thread on BT hacking.

Right, with you so far.

I toddle off and buy myself a BT dongle. I then connect it to an available usb port on my desktop. Will my pc "recognise" it or will I need some software? I then pair it with my BT phone. Does this "unpair" the connection with my BT headset; i.e. when I next want to use the headset will I have to re-pair it with the phone?

Cheers,

Scouse.

Yep thats pretty much about it.

Installed the cd that comes with it, plug in the Dongle it should run a wizard that will set up the pairing and set a dial up networking (DUN) entry so you can use the phone as a modem.

Your headset will (should) not be affected.

Have fun and welcome to the dongle club!

Thanks, Para. One BT dongle just ordered from Blueunplugged.com at a cost of £12.95.

I'll let you know when I can't get the bloody thing to work, as will inevitably happen when technology and I interact.

Scouse.

Edited by the scouser

I'll let you know when I can't get the bloody thing to work, as will inevitably happen when technology and I interact.

Scouse.

How the ###### did this happen?

I move half way around the world to get away from IT support in London and what happens! ;-)

Just joking happy to help

Hi Para,

You'll be pleased to know that my dongle dropped through the door this morning (after ordering the thing over the internet and waiting 3 days, it transpired that the company is based 4 miles down the road!). Anyway, I appear to have installed it properly as I have successfully transferred a file from my pc to the phone and vice versa. However, my Sony Ericsson software still doesn't acknowledge the existence of my phone, displaying "No K700 series detected". Just out of interest why would that be?

Thanks for your help,

Scouse.

Lets get it on!

Ok at the moment dont worry about your Sony s/ware.

What you need to do is to set up dial up networking. When you instaled the software for the BT device it would/should of had a setup wizard you have anything thats saying 'please let me set up your BT devices?'

If not on your desktop you should have nice new blub icon that says my bluetooth places. If you expand that the BT s/ware should start browsing what ever is in distance, will set up the pair and creat the DUN icon.

Give it a go amd shout if itsw no good.

Btw I posted on BT security you may ne interested in reading.

Good luck!

**** Forgot to say make sure your phone BT settings are set to allow others to se....

Edited by Para

Hi Para,

Don't ask me how I've done it but my "My Bluetooth Places" folder is showing K700i Dial-Up Networking connected and my phone is showing "Remote control. *desktop *Media Player *Presenter". When I choose any a keyboard-type affair is then displayed. Forgive my lack of knowledge but what is dialup nteworking and how do I use it?

Cheers,

Scouse.

Dialup networking is the software/service windows machines use to make an internet connection via a phone.

Assuming youhave XP can you check

control panel - phone and modem to see if a new BT modem has been installed

Also look at control panel - networks and look under network conections and see if there are any dial up network entries there...

Hi Para,

Right, Dial-up modems installed = BT modem COM5 and Conexant HSF V92 56K. In Network Connections it says BT connection disabled. Do I need to input a phone number for the dial-up? If so, how do I know which one? Through my pc I have broadband access to the internet.

Cheers,

Scouse.