HM's Celebrations To Be Extended To Dec 13 If No Rally Held On Thursday

webfact

This move stinks of cynicism, desperation and puerility. An unelected government hiding behind... I won't go on.

Thank you for not going on.

On the point of an unelected government, this governement has been duly elected and is completely legitimate.

Thank you for finally stating clearly exactly as to where moderators and as such Thai Visa stands on the issue of the reds. I also like that you don't bother wasting time with with long and boring tale of what actually did happen, I have always been a big fan of revisionism as winners should write the history books.

I also liked your dig at the dissenter from the party line, how about just banning any pro-red b*stards and stop the pretending once and for all? Keep them Nation stories coming. Nothing bugs me more than people with non-conformist views, especially when the smart a*ses keep digging up inconvenient facts. Keep up the good work!

• Replies 91
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

This move stinks of cynicism, desperation and puerility. An unelected government hiding behind... I won't go on.

On the point of an unelected government, this governement has been duly elected and is completely legitimate.

WRONG !

This government was NOT elected - the Democrats LOST the last election - check your facts.

This government has NO mandate from the people to govern.

It is, however, legitimate due to the changes made in the constitution after the Democrats lost the last election.

The curent parlement was chosen by the people in free and fair democratic elections. In a multi party system, the party that hlds a majority in parlement governs. Currently the democrats hold a parlementary majority by joining with another party and as a consequence these parties govern together.

Some reminders are necessary here:

2) Not to express disrespect of the King of Thailand or anyone else in the Thai royal family, whether living or deceased, nor to criticize the monarchy as an institution. Speculation, comments and discussion of either a political or personal nature are not allowed when discussing HM The King or the Royal family. Discussion of the lese majeste law or lese majeste cases is permitted on the forum, providing no comment or speculation is made referencing the royal family. To breach this rule will result in immediate ban

And if this turns into yet another thread talking solely about the validity of the last election, it will be closed. You have about ten other threads with the exact same conversation in it.

WRONG !

This government was NOT elected - the Democrats LOST the last election - check your facts.

This government has NO mandate from the people to govern.

It is, however, legitimate due to the changes made in the constitution after the Democrats lost the last election.

Seems like you have got your knickers in a twist over this pal

Why worry? Chill out.....nothing YOU can do about it :)

Then some parties left this coalition for various reasons.

A new Government comprising different parties was formed, excluding Mr T's proxies.

So......all very legal.

The "various reasons" part is what draws legality into question. Sacking two prime ministers through biased legal system while holding the country hostage and finally (allegedly) bribing MPs to defect may not fit everybody's definition of "all very legal". Thaksin was a self-centered corrupt autocrat... but a properly elected one with clear popular mandate to rule. Current PM, handsome and clever as he may be, does not have this.

Thank you for finally stating clearly exactly as to where moderators and as such Thai Visa stands on the issue of the reds. I also like that you don't bother wasting time with with long and boring tale of what actually did happen, I have always been a big fan of revisionism as winners should write the history books.

I also liked your dig at the dissenter from the party line, how about just banning any pro-red b*stards and stop the pretending once and for all? Keep them Nation stories coming. Nothing bugs me more than people with non-conformist views, especially when the smart a*ses keep digging up inconvenient facts. Keep up the good work!

In no way have I given a comment that can be seen as pro any party. I only pointed out that you cannot say that this government wasn't democraticly elected.

My comment on thanking for not going on is directed at not bringing certain institutions into the discussion.

Note that individual moderators have their own opinions, under the moderators you find supporters for both "colours" and also neutral ones. Thaivisa itself is neutral in this respect. We allow discussion about the political situation, but we will not allow Thaivisa to be used as a political platform.

If people have any more questions about moderating issues, they can contact the moderator in question or contact support. Our policy is that a discussion about moderation will not be held on the public forum. Please refrain from it.

Remember when you were at school and they'd be one kid who'd always be taking. The teacher would say something like "Children, if the whole class behaves then you can all go to break five minutes early. If anyone speaks then it's detention for all of you." Thus putting the onus on other members of the class to tell the annoying child to shut it and get in line.

The Dems are showing it is possible to run a country the same way as you treat a class of 8 year olds. Next step will be a ban on staying up after 8pm and not allowing anyone out to play with their friends if they are caught protesting.

Absolutely right.

Do the Democrats regard this as an example as good government ? - its nothing short of emotional blackmail.

What will they do next - cancel Songkran if the Red Shirts hold a rally in April?

Pathetic.

I seem to recall something earlier this year where Songkran was cancelled in part due to a Red shirt rally.It was one of the saddest Songkrans I have been in Thailand for.

All I wanna know is: Are they declaring Tues, Wens, and Fri public holidays???

If so, I dont need to go to work tomorrow and thus can drink beer all week. :D

Anyone know on this? :)

I think "extending the celebrations" merely refers to the parade/light show on Rajadamoen Avenue etc.

I like it! Don't think anybody would want to be responsible for screwing up a national holiday. Great move. :)

I second that. Now the ball is in the red-shirt's park. Great move by the gov.!

opalhort

the deceitful swine will do anything, use "anybody" to discredit the redshirts.

How low can they get ?

What does it matter? Who believes them as long as that crook Taksin supports them...

Donot forget people normally look at the last years he was in government: look back many years and you sea he also cheated his farang partner in AIS... As far as I know they guy never got his money back...

And I was told he sold lousy old IBM's to the goverment, but no idea if true or not as there is no way to check without asking....

Thailand...It never ceases to Amaze. May the Red shirts show up in droves, and continue to protest this un-elected government.JMHO

Now, the Mr T government was indeed ousted.

After that there were elections.

No party had a majority, or 51% of the seats in Parliament

The Government was formed out of a coalition of parties, including Mr T's proxies.

Then some parties left this coalition for various reasons.

A new Government comprising different parties was formed, excluding Mr T's proxies.

So......alll very legal.

And formed in the same way as the former government.

Try to remember that in nearly all countries a Government is not elected but formed out of a majority in the parliament.

So if you think this Government is un-elected, so was the former.

I couldn't agree more! Finally somebody who puts it very simple and understandable. And that former government continously forgets that the actual constitution was chosen by a majority of the people.

Seems the Red shirts are desperate and Taksin is doing a last minute grab for his money. He even tried to bargain last week claiming he would call off the demonstrations if he was pardoned - this idiot exiled criminal actually said he was not inciting to riot yet openly claimed he was behind it all - usual stuff for a liar, cannot remember what he has already lied about. He has no interest other than his wealth and if Thai's believe he has their interests at heart - it is very sad indeed.

Red shirt rallies of any description right now would bring this country to its knees - again. :)

Despite the politics behind the decision to extend, it is a move to decrease possibility of problems so I for one, endorse it even if my thoughts are not behind this Govt and its obvious weaknesses. They are a far better option than led by the corrupt opposition.

It's usually the second or third post before Taksin is blamed for everything, must have caught you napping!8_5_38.gif

Remember when you were at school and they'd be one kid who'd always be taking. The teacher would say something like "Children, if the whole class behaves then you can all go to break five minutes early. If anyone speaks then it's detention for all of you." Thus putting the onus on other members of the class to tell the annoying child to shut it and get in line.

The Dems are showing it is possible to run a country the same way as you treat a class of 8 year olds. Next step will be a ban on staying up after 8pm and not allowing anyone out to play with their friends if they are caught protesting.

Curiously when I was about 8 years old I was the kid that carried on talking and got all the other kids 500 'lines' - a task involving writing out 500 sentences saying something like 'silence in class is golden'. During the break I was surrounded by the whole class and the biggest lad in the class (Tony Tenby) was chosen to 'punish' me for my deed. Being just 8 years old we just swung away at each other for a while then fell down exhausted. After the break the teacher rescinded the punishment for all except me. Served me right.

However, this sort of tactic for grown-ups is a lot more serious. Disrupting the 'person we can never mention on this forums' celebrations and Thaksin just over the border - is a mixture that does not bode well. I certainly hope he recovers from his illness soon to keep the country together...

Sadly, if the political shoe fits, Thailand is wearing it. While I find it amusing that the current government is using this method, I hope they realize that it has the potential to inflame emotions even more than usual if the reds show up. It would be really sad to see this get out of hand, and I don't think it would be as controlled as Songkran was (and Songkran was on the knife edge). I hope everyone can just take the opportunity to listen to the King and work together to help Thailand recover from the economic slump.

(and as to the elections, Thailand follows a different model to the U.S. Read up on it before making judgments as to legality)

Same here! Others seem to be more interested in how legal guys in the big office are.

It seems tho that there has been no declaration of additional public holidays.

"If the red-shirt United Front for Democracy against Dictatorship (UDD) decides to postponed its planned rally on Thursday at the Democracy Monument, the celebrations could continue to Dec 13," Mr Korn said.

He said the government decided not to extend the celebrations to Sunday despite the calls from many people because it needed to respect the rights of the red-shirt group on Dec 10. The government did not want to make an excuse to prevent people from expressing their political views by prolonging the celebrations.

Same here! Others seem to be more interested in how legal guys in the big office are.

It seems tho that there has been no declaration of additional public holidays.

yes, thank you, despite public warnings to cease.

So, as requested, lets do try to keep it on topic

Extending the festivities is just manipulation of the people's emotions IMO.

Let the opposition be heard freely and call an election soon to let the people decide the direction the country should be taking.

~WISteve

People may want to read the article on the BP site on the same topic, specifically its last paragraph. It can't be copied here due to reasons discussed before, but it mentions that it can't extend the celebrations unless the Red Shirts cancel as the government has to acknowledge the Red Shirt's right to protest.

In that light, it doesn't sound so much like blackmail - more like being completely practical. How can you celebrate somebody's birthday in the middle of an anti-government protest?

Off topic posts are being deleted, as per the norm for threads. There are many threads already running where you can discuss other issues regarding the election etc etc etc to your hearts content. But some people would actually like to find out the situation here. Lets bear that mind.

People may want to read the article on the BP site on the same topic, specifically its last paragraph. It can't be copied here due to reasons discussed before, but it mentions that it can't extend the celebrations unless the Red Shirts cancel as the government has to acknowledge the Red Shirt's right to protest.

In that light, it doesn't sound so much like blackmail - more like being completely practical. How can you celebrate somebody's birthday in the middle of an anti-government protest?

Correct. Initially the celebrations (light/multi media shows etc.) were scheduled to continue until Dec. 13, but the gov deciided to stop them on Dec.9 if the red-shirts hold their protest on Dec.10.

Makes perfect sense to me.

And no there are no additional holidays. Dec. 8, 9 and 11 are normal working days regardles of any celebrations.

opalhort

I think "extending the celebrations" merely refers to the parade/light show on Rajadamoen Avenue etc.

Does anyone know for sure? Celebrations in Thailand normally go with holidays.

If the shoe fits.

If the red leadership and their acolytes must be shamed into

holding off on the disruption of HRM's birthday celebrations,

Then so be it, the rest of the populace SHOULD shame them into

acting like civil society and with some national propriety.

For ALL Thai's and not just a segment.

Sometimes it is as if the country was being run by a bunch of 8 year olds!