Hodgson Backs Zamora For England

R123

I can understand it, don't agree with it but i understand it..

Capello obviously likes the Big Man/Little Man front 2 so you've got Heskey who is crap, Cole injured because his Manager allowed him to play on last week even thouh he'd damaged Ligaments, Crouch who i'd say is the best option & who i don't personally rate or.............................

Zamora is very good at holding the ball up, make no mistake about that..

He isn't a good finisher though & i doubt will even make an England Squad but i can understand where Hidgson is coming from as Zamora is quite possibly the best English Striker at the moment in holding the ball up which sadly sums up a lot of things wrong wih the English National Side at the moment..

I'd personally go for Defoe & Rooney to terrorise Defences & i don't care how small they are but what do i know..

Nothing new here. Anytime any English player plays a bit well or scores a few goals his manager backs him for an England call-up. Does this somehow surprise you? I see it all the time, and often with players who really have no chance.

Zamora never produced the goods for his other clubs, now he is gaining in confidence, maybe he has found the right manager to work with.

Cole - injured

Heskey - cannot hold a ball, and not regular for his team

Crouch - never liked

Beattie - excellent work rate, loves a scrap (ask Tony Pullis)

and then

Zamora - give him a go in a friendly before we go, see if he can do it. If not then leave him at home.

Nothing new here. Anytime any English player plays a bit well or scores a few goals his manager backs him for an England call-up. Does this somehow surprise you? I see it all the time, and often with players who really have no chance.

True.Would he be talking him up if he wasn't a Fulham player?

All these managers big up there players for the England team, then as soon as theyre in the complain like mad about releasing them for England to play in friendlies or at an awkward time of the season.

Id sooner pick Darren Bent at least he's always scored a good amount of goals all his career, and drop Crouch, Heskey what a dire sprinkling of forwards England have.

Gerrard just off Rooney up front has to be the selection given Defoe isnt that good in the greater scheme of things, or even Joe Cole and Rooney with Cole doing a Beardsley type role.

probably the main reason that england won't win the world cup (penalties notwithstanding) is that they lack a top class front man.

I don't know Stevie, I think our issue will be at the other end of the pitch quite frankly - in goal in particular.

All these managers big up there players for the England team, then as soon as theyre in the complain like mad about releasing them for England to play in friendlies or at an awkward time of the season.

Id sooner pick Darren Bent at least he's always scored a good amount of goals all his career, and drop Crouch, Heskey what a dire sprinkling of forwards England have.

Gerrard just off Rooney up front has to be the selection given Defoe isnt that good in the greater scheme of things, or even Joe Cole and Rooney with Cole doing a Beardsley type role.

1 ) For the possibility that they'd be worth more $$ if getting picked for the National Team.

2 ) I strogly disagree, Defoe is the best National Finisher the Country has at the moment, & has been for some time however Gerrard off of Rooney would be a great shout & would excite me so much i might even s*x wee myself, jing jing.

Edited by MSingh

probably the main reason that england won't win the world cup (penalties notwithstanding) is that they lack a top class front man.

I don't know Stevie, I think our issue will be at the other end of the pitch quite frankly - in goal in particular.

So between the 3 of us, Stevie reckons the Strikers are sh*te, Jimbo the GK's & me the Centre Backs so all in all, we're not that great, must be the collective assumption... :)

So between the 3 of us, Stevie reckons the Strikers are sh*te, Jimbo the GK's & me the Centre Backs so all in all, we're not that great, must be the collective assumption... :)

Well Singer, who would you put in goal at this point? Hate to say it but I am leaning towards Old Man James. Too bad we can't steal Given and give him an English passport.

Well Singer, who would you put in goal at this point? Hate to say it but I am leaning towards Old Man James. Too bad we can't steal Given and give him an English passport.

I honestly don't know, James isn't even playing at the moment i don't think..

Green seems to have gone backwards, Foster doesn't give me much confidence, Robinson just no, same for Kirkland,i honestly don't know..

'we'? don't lump me in with that lot james. and i thought you were a canuck? :)

i genuinely think that england are an injury to rooney and/or gerrard of not getting out of the group. the biggest asset they have besides those two players is the manager's skill and know-how.

1 ) For the possibility that they'd be worth more $$ if getting picked for the National Team.

2 ) I strogly disagree, Defoe is the best National Finisher the Country has at the moment, & has been for some time however Gerrard off of Rooney would be a great shout & would excite me so much i might even s*x wee myself, jing jing.

I agree Defoe is the best finisher and has been for sometime, and he is very good striker but he isnt close to World class or being a forward you would want as your first choice striker for your national team going into a World Cup.

But in Englands favour many teams in the last 20 years that have got to the final have been very bad im thinking Italy and their pensioners in 2006 thyere the worst team to have won the WC in living memory, Germany who were dreaful but had an easy route in 2002, the French in 98 with that wonderful forward Stephane Guivarche who makes Heskey look clinical (ok the team was good) but not very good until 2000. In 94 Italy were 3rd in qualifying and dour througout and in 1990 Argentina were worse then dreadful but got lucky due to being good at penalties.

Sven Goran Erikson has a lot to answer too, for not at least getting to the Final with the players he had, never have England had such a strong collection of players in its history.

Edited by whichschool

I honestly don't know, James isn't even playing at the moment i don't think..

Green seems to have gone backwards, Foster doesn't give me much confidence, Robinson just no, same for Kirkland,i honestly don't know..

I see the coach of B'ham is pushing Hart now for a place. Who's next, maybe Phil Brown will start pushing for himself????

I like Zamora, think that hes had a point to prove after his times at spurs and the hammers,seems to have done so at fulham. but for me hes a good premier league striker , but an International? I dont think so. But im more than happy to be proved wrong.

Think the best big man weve got at the mo Is Heskey, great first touch, can hold up, and is aggressive, has a touch of pace and is totally unselfish, here probably if anything lies his Achilles heel, his scoring rate that really could do with improving. Maybe could well be the reason crouchy ends up getting further up the pecking order.

So between the 3 of us, Stevie reckons the Strikers are sh*te, Jimbo the GK's & me the Centre Backs so all in all, we're not that great, must be the collective assumption... :D

Yeah, about 8 players short of being a world cup winning team, so i think Mr Capello has his work cut out :)

Going back a few months i seem to recall old singhy suggesting Almunia for the England keepers job is this still an option i wonder :D .

Edited by alfieconn

At first I wondered if Hodgson had forgot his medication.... However Zamora bagged again today.

Cappello should take Rooney, Defoe for sure, either Crouch or Heskey + any striker on form that goes on a scoring run in the last 9-10 games of the season, regardless whether that is Zamora, Owen or anyone.

[quote name='whichschool' date='2009-12-13 00:43:49' post='3198952'

Isnt he now Arsenals reserve keeper, besides he's about as English as most people in London!

No, hes back in the 1st team after injury and faby', quite rightly didnt roll over and give his place up easily. ide like to think 'englishness mattered but it doasnt, so if cricket can adjust football should be able to deal with it as well.

Edited by rijit

ide like to think 'englishness mattered but it doasnt, so if cricket can adjust football should be able to deal with it as well.

Yes thats a great idea, why not just get the few hundred best players in the world to SA in 2010 and let the managers pick players when they get there regardless of nationality, like we did at school as kids where the fat kid got picked last. We can go without nations aswell and just use numbers instead but we better all use the same number as it'd be un PC to be even slightly different, then we'd be so far advanced the sh7tty puff sport only watched by boring idiots who cant get a ride AKA cricket that theyd have to adjust, because youve convinced me that Englishness doesnt matter when playing for England.

ide like to think 'englishness mattered but it doasnt, so if cricket can adjust football should be able to deal with it as well.

Yes thats a great idea, why not just get the few hundred best players in the world to SA in 2010 and let the managers pick players when they get there regardless of nationality, like we did at school as kids where the fat kid got picked last. We can go without nations aswell and just use numbers instead but we better all use the same number as it'd be un PC to be even slightly different, then we'd be so far advanced the sh7tty puff sport only watched by boring idiots who cant get a ride AKA cricket that theyd have to adjust, because youve convinced me that Englishness doesnt matter when playing for England.

WhichschoolI wasn't trying to convince you of anything.bit of Funny conversation to be having on this site in particular. But if its allowed and he s better than what weve got why not use him illuminated has the necessary requirements. Might he not be a better back up option than foster, green or hart. I'de go a big yes .

Alumunai, probably not a bad shout, dont really see, barring james, that we have a good enough keeper, although Kirkland for me has always looked the part.

Isnt he now Arsenals reserve keeper, besides he's about as English as most people in London!

I was actually having a little pop at Singhy, due to him being the most patriotic of men and having the audacity to mention Almunia as a future england GK.

On a different note, one of the reasons i moved here from London was because there's less foreigners here :)

Alumunai, probably not a bad shout, dont really see, barring james, that we have a good enough keeper, although Kirkland for me has always looked the part.

I was actually having a little pop at Singhy, due to him being the most patriotic of men and having the audacity to mention Almunia as a future england GK.

On a different note, one of the reasons i moved here from London was because there's less foreigners here :)

I don't make the rules do i ?? :D

If he qualifies to be an English ( British ) National then why wouldn't we utilise it ??

It's not as if we're blessed with a great group of Keepers, but i think he's gone backwards as a Keeper to this Year..

Dont think hes gone backwards, just had a few injuries and missed the early part of the season. However hes got the jersey back now and although fabi boy is ok, cant see him dislodging him.

I do, you don't.... :)

Who would you have as England's number 1 & Rooney's Strike Partner ??