How Low Will You Go?

Jingthing

You see a coin on the street. What is the minimum coin to make you bend over?  

156 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

You are in Thailand. You see a coin on the street. What is the minimum value to inspire you to bend over and pick it up?

Coins on the floor in your home don't count. Picking those up is called cleaning the floor.

Please no offensive ethnic slurs/jokes, thank you.

The reason for the poll other than pure amusement is the point out the ridiculousness of SATANG coins. What a waste!

• Replies 106
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Not for me.

Although I should be tighter really considering my Grandfather was Scottish. He was so tight that whenever he dropped a coin, he would bend down to pick it up so fast that it would hit him in the back of the head.

Gramps says hello!post-37101-1260207028_thumb.jpg

Edited by Jingthing

I would pick up any coin that I had dropped purely to avoid any awkward exchange of confused facial expressions with passers by. But I wouldn't pick up a coin that wasn't mine to begin with.

Interesting. Once I was walking with a friend in the US and he found a 100 dollar bill on the street. For real, I was there. Would you bend over for that?

I would pick up any coin that I had dropped purely to avoid any awkward exchange of confused facial expressions with passers by. But I wouldn't pick up a coin that wasn't mine to begin with.

Interesting. Once I was walking with a friend in the US and he found a 100 dollar bill on the street. For real, I was there. Would you bend over for that?

$100? Absolutely! I'd pick up 20baht if I knew nobody could see me. 50baht if only a few people could see me. And 100baht in most circumstances.

This is not a thread about 'worth' but about 'values'. I will pick up anything. There are too many people starving in this world. It's respect for money, it's respect for values. I remember once a friend of mine actually tossed away a handful of coins (GBP pence) and I picked them up much to his surprise. My point was why not put them in some charity collection (and frankly add to them) rather than dispose of them in such a way.

I have no idea why, but i have a slight superstition this. Yes, i would (and do) pick up a 1 baht coin, even if it wasnt mine. I kinda think it will bring me luck.

I wouldnt pick up satangs though.

However, i would never throw money away, as i think that would bring me bad luck. I have lots of those little 50 satang coins in the house!

I would pick up a 1, 5 or 10 Satang coin as they have got to be rarer than rockin horse shit! Never seen any of these?

I dont think they have been produced in more than 20 years, very likely longer?

(Ive seen some really old ones - they were from the time when the coins came with holes in the middle, and the coins had been put together through a string)

Wow JT,i was missing your polls,good to wake up and think about money!

I pick up everything that shines,i have a handful of satangs which i found over the last 6 years;like someone said,they can be of some value in the next 3/400 years.Not that i plan to live that long,but never say never,and with the good luck from the satangs i have some chance indeed. :)

Since you are talking about coins in your poll, I will say that I don't pick up anything lower than a 5 Baht coin. It's bad luck (so I am told) to pick up coins you see on the street or something to that affect.

'Tis the season to be jolly, tra la la la la,

JT's polls the leading folly, tra la la la la.

I don't pick up coins in the street, makes me look cheap. :)

I did pick up a $100 bill on Thu Thiem bridge (HCMC) the other week. It was obviously a fake but a pretty good one, looked the deal but the paper quality let it down.

Also I passed up a 500 Dong note on the sidewalk (500 VND = 3 US Cents). Still think I should've taken it, 500 is my ferry fare across the river Sai Gon.

The old satang ones would probably be worth something eventually, so I'd pick up those (I'm a sucker for coins, I've got quite a collection of odd Thai ones already). I chose the 10Baht option, but I'd only pick it up if I dropped it.

Nobody ever wants to seem cheap, but here it can also be dangerous as you don't want to accidentally step on a coin or bill. I remember once when I was on the BTS, there was a 20 Baht bill on the ground, but no one would pick it up. There were a lot of people in the train, and I know that many of them saw it, but no one wanted to look cheap. The problem was, the bill was near one of those central poles so all the people packed around it were also being very careful to not kick or step on the bill. Very amusing! We all got off at Siam, so I never got to see what happened to it.